mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thinking of going rigid

I have the Niner RDO and was looking to rigid possibly. Is it complete heresy to match that bike with one of the less expensive carbon options like the Exotic, White Bros., etc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

Mike

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I've heard they come and repossess your frame if you don't match it up with a Niner fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    I've heard they come and repossess your frame if you don't match it up with a Niner fork.
    It's true.

mtbr member
    I could not stand my rigid, as I like going fast downhill, too. Had to throw a suspension fork on. Much more happy.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Built up a Niner Air nine with niner carbon fork--light, fast, fun, but went with a suspension fork after a while--my arms were taking a beating on the tree root heavy sections of trails I ride. The Niner forks are nice, but yes, you can use a non-niner fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I dunno I think it's all in the technique, my arms never get beat up even riding technical sections on a rigid vintage 26er with cantilever brakes, I tried a second time with my HT 29er and I was surprised that even with suspension it was still pretty rough... If you are a light rider like myself, know how to unweight the front wheel at the right times and time your arm movement it's not hard at all, the only problem is it requires more concentration and effort, difficult to do when you are exhausted.

THe only only problem I really have with a rigid fork is learning how to wheelie and do tricks, there's no way or technique to buffer the shock coming down with the handlebars when you do tricks , unlike riding over a trail where you can rely shifting your weight over the pedals and letting your legs take the brunt of the shock .