mtbr member
    May 2013

Is there a do it all tire out there? What's your fav?

A tire that is relatively light (less than 600 grams) with good rolling properties and good grip in the same time.

A tire that won't slow you down too much on an XC race, that can endure some enduro style beating, track well in loose terrain and take fast DH corners with confidence. Is there such a tire on the market or am I dreaming?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm running maxxis ardents and love them. In ust no where near the weight your looking for, but they have it in other layups. They grip well wet or dry , and hold a good line through mud . Not as fast or light as my rocket rons , but I trust them in a fast corner.

mtbr member
    We can all dream. Have a go at Geax Saguaro. It blows the 600g mark by 100g, but ticks every box other than that. I have standard folding 29x2.2 tubeless on ZTR Flows and WTB i29 and both are spot on. Definitely a tyre you won't regret.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    A tire that is relatively light (less than 600 grams) with good rolling properties and good grip in the same time.

A tire that won't slow you down too much on an XC race, that can endure some enduro style beating, track well in loose terrain and take fast DH corners with confidence. Is there such a tire on the market or am I dreaming?
    Sub 600g. Good grip. Good rolling resistance. Enduro beating. Loose terrain. Fast DH corners. All in one tire...

That's a pipe dream.

You'll need two to three pair of different tires to satisfy all of that.

Or just run whatcha brung and use skills.

Or be realistic and bump up your weight expectations to sub 750g.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Or be realistic and bump up your weight expectations to sub 750g.

Agree. 600g is not what I'd call "relatively light", that's XC, not really going to be used on rough terrain, weenie range. Any tire that light is going to have serious compromises doing almost anything, because weight was the only design goal.

I've had really good luck with Hans Dampf and Conti trail kings, which in my experience do what you're asking, minus the ridiculous weight limit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hans Dampf looks like a good all around tire at around 720 grams it's definitely not a deal breaker in term of added weight.

Currently I have the Racing Ralph 29X2.25 which is around 500 grams and is a great light XC tire but pretty bad in loose terrain and don't inspire confidence to push it too fast, I don't even want to try it, they came stock with my new bike.

The Rocket Ron is around 500 grams and seems to have more aggressive blocks than the Racing Ralph, anyone has experience with it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nobby Nic

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I use rocket rons and love them. Im running the evo but not snakeskin as there arent sharp rocks to worry about here. Regardless of what the trail offers, the tires are good to go. Fast and light

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    Hans Dampf looks like a good all around tire at around 720 grams it's definitely not a deal breaker in term of added weight.
    Schwalbe lists both the Trailstar and Pacestar 29er version of the HD at 850g.

I think it's a great tire, but it's not 720 grams...and that's a good thing given it's intended purpose.

I second the support for the NN. It's sub-700 for the 2.25 and is a "put it on and forget it" kind of tire.

The 2.2 Race WTB Bronson is also a great tire. I'm a big fan of it on the rear when trails are unpredictable and varied. Weighs in at 735 (mine was actually lighter) and rolls very well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    Maxxis Ardent

Both 2.4

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hans Dampf might be too big of a step up from the racing ralph given your weight aspirations. The Nobby Nic seems to be the ideal next step up in aggressiveness with the least compromise in weight. They are great all around tires, jack of all trades, master of none.