I like rigid MTB.

New question here. Is there any handlebar to make me more aerodynamic on 29er ?

I have a race coming on April. The course is 80% road + 20% double track etc. It is more suitable for CX than 29er. I don't have a CX bike and I would like to convert my 29er toward more CX direction.
    My plan is to replace the MTB tires to CX tires and replacing the suspension fork to rigid carbon fork.
    I'm using carbon flat handlebar now and would like to lower my riding profile to improve aerodynamic.
    Is there any handlebar that can do that ?

ballbuster
    Um... any?

You can slap some aero clip-on bars, use drop bars, or just place your hands to the inboard position and do an aero tuck. You can lower your bars with a different stem, or by flipping your existing stem. It's all about what brings your hands and elbows in, making your body as narrow as possible... to the best of your comfort level.

I use Titec H-Bars, and move my hands to the inboard position for my aero tuck.

AZ
    banned
    Bontrager Carbon Satellite Trekking bar, discontinued but you may find someone with old stock. Check your local Trek dealer or the Bay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    P2A?
    On-One Midge Handlebar
    On-One Midge Handlebar

Is there any handlebar to make me more aerodynamic on 29er ?-dsc_7681.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Jones Loop or Woodchippers (the woodchippers will require stem adjustments most likely).

mtbr member

Is there any handlebar to make me more aerodynamic on 29er ?

I'm running a Jones H-Bar on my rigid 29er. Great bar for long rides as it has lots of hand positions and the ability to use the middle of the fore and aft bar to get more aero is awesome. You'll have to wrap the center part of the bars with handlebar tape (not shown in the photo) or else they won't be all that comfortable to rest against for long periods. They are not light however. Also, for really fast technical descending they are a bit sketchy, as your hands tend to slowly slide forward on the grips, slamming your thumbs into the shifter pods. Other than that they rock.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    I have a race coming on April. The course is 80% road + 20% double track etc. It is more suitable for CX than 29er. I don't have a CX bike and I would like to convert my 29er toward more CX direction.
    My plan is to replace the MTB tires to CX tires and replacing the suspension fork to rigid carbon fork.
    I'm using carbon flat handlebar now and would like to lower my riding profile to improve aerodynamic.
    Is there any handlebar that can do that ?
    No bar will MAKE you more aero.

Many can ALLOW you to ride in a more aero position.

The easiest thing is to lower your stem and grip your current bar next to the stem.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You're gonna do all that for just one race? Wow.

I like rigid MTB.
    Yes. It is for the P2A race.

I like rigid MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Um... any?

You can slap some aero clip-on bars, use drop bars, or just place your hands to the inboard position and do an aero tuck. You can lower your bars with a different stem, or by flipping your existing stem. It's all about what brings your hands and elbows in, making your body as narrow as possible... to the best of your comfort level.

I use Titec H-Bars, and move my hands to the inboard position for my aero tuck.
    The rule is no aero clip-on bars and drop bar is not possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Old style bar ends with lots of bend in. You can grip the hook part of the bar end and rest your arms on the grips.

Name:  bar_end_-_angle_view.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  32.9 KB

MTB B'dos
    As a few said, not about the bar to get aero, it's about hand placement on the bar and getting your body as tight as possible to stop yourself acting like a big kite and that requires hands next to stem, elbows dropped and head tucked and that's nothing bar specific. As suggested, flip your current stem maybe to help drop your bar, but going to a carbon fork unless it's the same A2C as your sus fork will already probably drop the bars an inch or more.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I would do lots of core exercises as you will find it fatiguing to ride in your most aero position for long periods of time.

Why not draft off an equal strength rider and gain your aero advantage from him?