mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Taper interference - Reba XX / Pivot Mach 429

I have a Reba 120mm 1.5/1.25 tapered headtube fork I'm instaling on a Pivot Mach 429, and where the headtube taper starts, it interferes with the top cartridge bearing crown ring... the ring is about 1/4" short of going down into the bearing (if that makes sense). The heat tube bearing sets come with the Pivot, and a standard 1.5" crown race was installed on the fork.

How can I fix this so that the fork installs on the frame?

The length of the fork head tube taper is about 103mm from the top of the crown race, before it hits the straight section of 1.25".

The length of the frame head tube is 97.5mm it seems, plus bearing races which are standard Pivot components. Need to figure out how to appropriately make up the difference.
    Pivot Mach429
    Vassago JabberWocky
    Zaboo Terra29 aka MTB854
    Trek Superfly Comp Elite
    Trek Rig 29er
    Specialized RockHopper

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is the compression ring inside the top ring? I had a similar issue with a normal headset and didn't realize that the compression ring was captured in the top seat - had to push it out and install it separately, then had no problem/

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No it's pretty obvious that the zero stack headset bearing set does not fit the tapered tube, as the taper gets in the way at the top. Took it to the LBS, and they were trying to find 12mm stack 56mm bottom race to give it some clearance... ended up installing two crown races on top of each other for now, but that's temporary until I figure something out.
    Pivot Mach429
    Vassago JabberWocky
    Zaboo Terra29 aka MTB854
    Trek Superfly Comp Elite
    Trek Rig 29er
    Specialized RockHopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Unfortunately early rockshox tapered forks had too long of a taper for some of the short headtube 29ers out there. Outside of a new fork (or crown steerer) I don't know of a definite solution. There is a cane creek angleset that has an external lower zs56 cup that might give you the change you're looking for, but I'd still rather sell the fork than deal with an angleset unless you want the adjustable angle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Mo, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Pivot Mach429
    Vassago JabberWocky
    Zaboo Terra29 aka MTB854
    Trek Superfly Comp Elite
    Trek Rig 29er
    Specialized RockHopper