mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The Tallest Skinny Tire?

First I'd like to point out i've been scouring search results from all over.

What I'm looking for is a tall skinny tire. I'd love to have a tire as tall as my 2.2 race kings, but a bit narrower for riding distance on hard pack. In particular levees in the south, over here they're made up of mostly dredged coral rock, gravel and sand. The rides are suburban so there will be some asphalt, grassy canal sides, etc. I haven't had many issues with the race kings, just would like a fast rolling / lower resistance tire and would prefer the tallest one at that.

I have found much info on measured heights. Every LBS wants to sell me 700c Hybrid tires, I know there are a few cyclocross tires even Conti's with the same tread as the race kings in 700c 35 and 42 versions. Trying a new tread wouldn't bother me, not sure if there are any 'fast' tires that tear through loose gravel. I've noticed skinny 29ers like the 1.75" Vee Rubber X-C-X, but I can't seem to find details on it's height. I found an old link to the 1.8" Specialized Renegade, it was broken and on my phone. Are these tall like 29er tires or 700c variants labeled in a more palatable MTB size?

Thanks for sharing any experiences, ideas or other information.
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Most bike tires have an approximately round cross section, so fatter = taller. Can't think of any exceptions to that rule.

Also: well this is taller
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/wal...on-663550.html

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    narrow rim may help with that profile but only by a small amount. Possibly a skinny tyre with heaps of tread. Otherwise I would assume what theslowsser said. Not sure why you want this...are you expecting more cush for a given width?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlowSSer View Post
    Most bike tires have an approximately round cross section, so fatter = taller. Can't think of any exceptions to that rule.

Also: well this is taller
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/wal...on-663550.html
    Thats what I've always known, just checking if anyone had seen oddly tall skinny tires. More or less the opposite of what some see as a disappointingly small 2.2 MT Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    narrow rim may help with that profile but only by a small amount. Possibly a skinny tyre with heaps of tread. Otherwise I would assume what theslowsser said. Not sure why you want this...are you expecting more cush for a given width?
    The tires will be mounted on 17mm internal rims, without going to road rims I don't know of much narrower. The reason I'm for looking for the 'tallest' skinny tire is not an attempt to cushioning the ride on a thin tire. But an attempt to maintain the roll out I'm used too. I'd like to keep the speed similar for the gear/cadence; while lowering rolling resistance if possible. I've used higher pressure (45 psi recommended cycling limit of the rim) along with stop flats in the past to stiffen the tread, in turn making the tires faster rolling.

Thanks guys, keep it coming, I'm open to more thoughts and ideas. Now that I'm thinking air pressure.. Can anyone recommend a cheap wheelset or rims that can have higher cycling air pressure? Iirc the upper limit of a race king is 65psi, surely 20 psi would lower resistance and the added presure would help stretch the tires a bit.
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I'm not aware of any tyre that would do what you want ...it sounds like you want a super fast rolling mtb tyre for hardpack or road. I'd just go for a standard width, maybe a tad smaller at higher pressure with a minimal or continuous tread pattern. It'll be skittish offroad but so would a skinny tall tire. You'd get less squirm at least. Once you start getting a little bumpy the higher pressure will work against you for rolling speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    17 mm rims ? Cross bike ? Nobody runs 85 psi on mt bike.

transmitter~receiver
    Tire sections are round.
    Stan's tires are pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Nanoraptors appear tall as there's virtually no side knobs on the casing. I find it a fast tire and use it in the rear on my 29er which doesn't have much clearance. The tire has far more volume than you might expect because the width of the tire doesn't include any lugs -- so other 2.2 type tires have less air (or so it seems to me).
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...