mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tallboy with XT crankset to XTR crankset?

So I purchased a carbon Tallboy SPX build kit, this has all the XT components. It should be arriving in a couple of weeks.

Now, a friend is offering a deal on the Shimano XTR FC-M980 3x10 Crankset for $380. He said I can save about 200gms of weight and get a smoother performing/more killer looking crankset. Then he said take off your XT crankset and sell it on ebay for about $200 or so and you'll only have paid about $180 for it.

My question is:
    1. If I bought it, would it work with the XT components or would I have to do some switching things around, or buy some XTR components to make it work right?
    2. Is it that much of an improvement? It sure looks better but will it perform better?

What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My personal opinion, dont waste the money. Yes you will save some weight but I dont think the performance is any better. I think the XT equipment is the working horse and XTR is the show horse. Both do the job they have been asked to do...

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    200 grams ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You'll save a 100g not 200g. The price is good for the M980, but I would find it hard to believe it would be any smoother shifting than your M780. You wouldn't need to change any components to use the M980.

Bottom line is it's just not worth it.

Take that money and upgrade the wheels or at least some lighter tires, or something other than the crank. You could go the Chinese carbon rim route

My .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    You'll save a 100g not 200g. The price is good for the M980, but I would find it hard to believe it would be any smoother shifting than your M780. You wouldn't need to change any components to use the M980.

Bottom line is it's just not worth it.

Take that money and upgrade the wheels or at least some lighter tires, or something other than the crank. You could go the Chinese carbon rim route

My .02
    Thanks for all the help...

Tell me, because I'm not up on this and I keep hearing this, what is the Chinese carbon Rims and where do you find them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This is the thread (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

This is where you buy them carbon mountain bike rim-mountain bike rim,mountain rims,mtb rim,mtb rims,carbon mtb rim

There are 2 options of rims, a XC width rim, and a wider AM rim. The wider rims is said to be more durable. There are many satisfied customers.
    They sell complete wheelsets, which people seem to be happy with. They will build a set with either rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, I'll look into these. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, just checked them out. They sure look nice, but soooo light, I wonder if they would
    hold up for a 220lb guy like me (without gear). Hmmm...