Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Switching from off road tires to street tires...suggestions?

9K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  itsthegrizzly 
#1 ·
I have recently went through two back surgeries. I do not feel offroad trail riding will be the best idea anytime in the near future for me. So I wont to look into what I need to do to fit my Diamondback Overdrive 29er to a more street riding bike. I know as a mountainbike it already can ride street but I just want to make it a bit smoother and better on street. Any input would be great.

#2 ·
I have a wheel with a slick tire mounted to it for winter rides on the trainer. It's a 700x32. That's pretty narrow but absolutely no issues with mounting it on Stans rims and pumping it way up. You could for sure go bigger but I would say a 30-32 would suit your needs pretty well. You don't have to drop a lot of coin either. The tire on there is a Maxxis but I have some cheap slicks on a 26" MTB from Cheng Shing. You can find them all day long on ebay.

#8 ·
From everything I have read on this topic, I agree with this and is probably what I will end up putting on a bike I am buying for mostly road use.

They will also be good for gravel roads and light trail.

#7 ·
Greetings, I have a 29er HT bike and I ride offroad and road. What I did, I got a second wheelset where I put slick tires and I mount this wheel set when I go riding roads only. The tires are Schvalbe Maraton 700x28. 28mm is the most narrow cross (tracking) tire you can get. I suggest get a 28mm tires so the difference from your MTB tires would be as big as possible. But a 30 or 32 would also be good. My Schvalbe Maratons have a antipuncture layer and in the 3 years I have them = 0 flats!!!

#16 ·
good thread. I'll be getting my other set of wheels so I can swap and use the MTB for periodic commuting. Good tires will make a HUGE difference on those 30 mile rides.

#17 · (Edited)
Have you looked at the Lierre's from Grand Bois? At 38mm it slips right into the middle of the road list that have worked gravel and pavement for me. Got one flat early on, threw a pair of $20 tire savers and not another flat. Compass Bcycles, or Googles you friend.
Phil
:madman:It's 29" you're looking for ...NOT 650b. sorry. remove post if possible.

#18 ·
been a big fan of the WTB all terrains on my commuter bike which is a 29" mountain bike (wheels and all). they are wide for a road tire and have very good grip if you venture though dirt roads and gravel paths as well. very versitial tire and seems to do well with road debris, I have only had one flat and it was do to a pretty nasty throne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.