mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Switching from 100 mm fork to rigid: axle to crown question.

Hi everybody,

after spending a year on my front-suspended Focus Black Forest 29er, I decided to stick to moderately rough terrains and hard pack/pavement surfaces.
    Since I'm not into competitive cycling and ride mostly for fitness reasons, I decided to switch from 100 mm suspension (Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Air) to a rigid fork.
    The question is: how much will a shorter axle-to-crown distance affect bike geometry? My friend showed me a beautiful Niner Carbon fork but it is shorter than my current setup.
    Are there forks long enough to match Recon Silver axle to crown?

Thank you

Zot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You should be able to find a rigid fork that keeps your geometry close to a 100mm suspension fork. I recently bought a rigid fork and noticed some companies will describe it as either suspension corrected to 80 or 100 .... Or give you the axle to crown numbers...468mm is approx 80mm suspension...Not positive what a 100mm corrected exactly is. Also, if your trying to calculate the numbers yourself, don't forget to factor in the sag on a suspension fork.

The niner carbon fork is awesome! I really wanted one but could never justify the price. Whiskey parts, ritchey, carver, and a few others make carbon rigid forks for a little less. I ended up getting a chrmly salsa take off for 30 bucks. A little heavy but does the trick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I believe most rigid forks that are "corrected" for 100mm travel on a 29er have an axle to crown length of around 470mm.

As DRZ noted, the effective axle to crown length of a suspension fork decreases when you sit on the bike due to sag. The amount of sag varies with the particular fork, rider weight, and how you have it set-up (preload, etc.), but most seem to squat down ~20mm.

The Niner fork should be fine.

Cheesiest
    470mm a-c might make your bike better for smoother terrain
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Just for the record, my Reba RLT 100 mm travel fork on my Stumpy EVO ht is exactly 1/2" longer than the 470 mm whiskey # 7 on my rigid 29er SS.