mtbr member
    May 2012

Suspected Easton hub issue

HI all,

I had rode 800 km on my Giant Anthem 29er without problem until I upgraded to a pair of Easton wheel-set (model EA90 XC) from a local distributor recently. There is a constant squeaking noise from the rear wheel (Please see youtube videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFwcmjBAsc&feature=youtu.be). I had goggled the Internet to find out if anyone has similar issue and some people claimed that it originated from the Easton hub.

Now this morning, I took the bike to the distributor but the bike technicians over there insisted that the squealing was an issue of pad rubbing against the rotor. They were adamant that there was nothing wrong with the hub. However they offered me a bike full check up servicing for 100 over bucks which I find it very ridiculous. I left the shop and was thinking of solving it myself...

However until now I still could not solve the issue, despite disassembling, cleaning relubing, retightening, everything associated with the drivechain. I highly doubt there was any problem with these drivetrain components and it was definitely the hub making the noise. Anyone got issue with EA90 wheels before? Any advice for me to tackle this issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Either remove the brake pads or the rotor and then see if the squeaking goes away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Either remove the brake pads or the rotor and then see if the squeaking goes away.
    x2. If it still squeaks it's not the brake.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Replace with old wheels and the sound goes away. Definitely issue lies with the hub.

Anyone knows Easten has a solution for the M1 hub?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleGeorge View Post
    Replace with old wheels and the sound goes away. Definitely issue lies with the hub.

Anyone knows Easten has a solution for the M1 hub?
    If you did not realign the brake calipers after swapping wheels, it could still be the brakes.

Different hubs can put the rotor in a slightly different place and rub.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What Shiggy said. You can't swap wheels and assume that the brake caliper won't need to be realigned.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If you did not realign the brake calipers after swapping wheels, it could still be the brakes.

Different hubs can put the rotor in a slightly different place and rub.
    X3 what he said
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Az HS Cycling League

I have found...

the quick release that came with my Eastons to be noisy too. I have to add a tiny amount of lube to the cam surface and retighten every couple of months. I have had a freehub issue but it did not come with an odd noise, just failure. It was rebuilt by Easton and have not had any issues since.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org