Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013

Supergly 100AL needs to go on a diet!

I have a 2013 Superfly 100 AL and its time to go on a diet.

Easy Weight Saving:
    I plan on going carbon with the seat post, steering stem, and handlebars. I have been comparing several different brands... also considering the Chinese route.

Group Set:
    I have been also looking at the SRAM XX1 group set... would save me a calculated 1.5lbs over the X7 3x10 group set currently on the bike. I am not bothered whether I run a 2x10 or 1x11, I was just simply using the XX1 as a bench mark. I have also debated a XT or XTR group set. If you have an alternative suggestion... Im all ears!

Wheel Set:
    I have searched endlessly for the weight of my current wheel set (Bontrager Mustang), so I can compare them to a lighter aftermarket set. If you have a clue, let me know! I am planning on a rear hub with more engagement points.. so i need a set of light and strong hoops to go with!

Suspension: The bike is currently equipped with a Rockshox Reba and a Monarch rear shock... besides maybe a SID fork... any weight savings to be had? Bike already has a Canecreek headset.

Any pointers beyond what I have already suggested would be appreciated. I have no weighted the bike yet... I would assume its around 28-29lbs with pedals. Currently has Gravity GAP handlebars and Shimano 540 clipless pedals... equipped with tubed Mountain Kings.

thanks!
    2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er + 150mm Pike
    2012 Specialized Status II + Boxxer World Cup

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Wheelset FIRST....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Wheelset FIRST....
    Second this one. Spend your fist $$$ on a light weight wheelset and light tires. Nothing else will provide the same bang for the buck with the benefit of performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Before you spend a ton of money on your bike, I would ask what you goal is - a lighter Superfly Al or a lighter bike? You might be better off buying a Superfly 100 SL than spending money on a lot of marginally lighter stuff.
    As for what is on your bike now, you won't save much weight on your stem, but you can spend a lot trying. The bars, seat and seatpost are heavy and could be upgraded, but I doubt you would notice too much of a difference in how the bike rides by just replace those parts (and spending over $300 to save up to a pound). The rim on your wheels are 470 grams each - not too heavy, but not as light as Crests. You would give up some durability though. The cassette could be replaced with an XT for not too much, for 100+ grams of savings. The tires are fairly light for their size. Definitely set them up tubeless if you haven't already. The crank isn't all that light, but you will spend a lot getting a lighter one.
    I just built up a Superfly FS on Trek's Project 1 site with X01, XXX wheels, seat and post, RXL stem, light tires, etc for $7600 and change. Not cheap, but it would be lighter than spending that much on a Superfly 100 AL. My point is that it is cheaper to but it light from the factory than upgrade all of the parts.
    FYI, I upgraded a 2012 Superfly 100 with some light parts, but mostly more trail type parts - Fox TALAS RLC 120, RXL bars, Chris King / Bontrager Duster wheels, Thomson Masterpiece post and RXXXL seat, RXL crank set, XT cassette, XO trail brakes, Fox RP23 Kashima shock and some other parts. It was around 28 lbs in this set up (size large). I ended up returning it to near stock spec and selling it. I had many of those parts on hand from past bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would get some wheels and tires. Wider carbons will go on your next bike. Which will probably be the Superfly 100 with the much shorter chainstays Trek will bring to market as a 2015. I'd get the carbon version when it comes. They have to keep up with the competition as they did this year for the Superfly(HT) 9.6-9.8.
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-27-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    How much different is the new superfly fs from the 100?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    How much different is the new superfly fs from the 100?
    The Superfly HT 9.6-9.8 is lighter, quicker steering, has trail feel, with more stable tracking rear. The world class full frame damping must be from their road bikes. It makes a 100 unnecessary. Riding terrain fast and chunky enough for overpower the frame would need at least a Fuel and maybe a Remedy.

So add up the cost of the upgrades you would need and compare the final weight you can achieve to a $2400 Superfly 9.6.
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-27-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Yeah... Well a new bike isn't in the cards. I like my superfly 100 and just need some painters on how to make it lighter. I appreciate all the input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 on wheels first. Most economical probably stan's hubs w/crest rims, DB spokes, alum nipples.
    Bolt on Skewers.
    Bontrager foam grips.
    Find seat on ebay.
    Research tires I run Bontrager 29-1's and 29-0's.
    Think about getting rid of 36 tooth cassette and go w/ 32t
    Go tubeless
    1x
    Ashima rotors an go with 160 on front

On my Superfly AL Elite (not 100) there was not much of a weight savings on seat post, stem or bars. It's @ 22lbs with changes above.

But seriously, if you are considering changing group set and fork, I find it hard to believe you are not thinking about getting another bike. You are not going to get much for your take off's. How much do you want to spend?

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I'll spend $400 or so at a time as long as it takes. I don't want a carbon bike, and I like a 100mm full squish xc bike.. So there is no real point in getting another bike. I don't need or want a 18-20lb bike. I just want to shave some weight over time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well, I guess you can start with a back wheel
    ZTR Crest 29er Stock Wheelset

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Awesome! Might start here. These wheels should be at least as strong as the factory mustang hoops? I don't see anything on engagement points on the hubs... any experience?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The ZTR 3.30 hubs have 3 pawls and 30 Points of engagement (12 degrees). They are plenty fast - faster than your stock wheels. IMO, Crests are not as strong as the Mustangs, but they are almost 100 grams lighter per rim. I have used both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No problems w/ crest. 2 seasons racing and riding. DB spokes & alum nipples. 150lb rider