mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Super stiff carbon rigid forks?

Hi guys, I just finished a On One Inbred build using the On One carbon fork, and turns out the fork is super flexy! I am about 90kg and using a 180mm disc, and there is serious brake chatter when on the brakes. Anyone else have this problem?

If I look down while braking I can see the QR in the fork move probably 1-2cm back and forth and it feels horrble...very disconcerting! The brakes are new and still breaking in, so they are a little grabby which does not help, but still, am not happy with the amount of chatter the fork allows.

Can anyone reccomend a really strong, light, stiff carbon fork? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 100kg and ride a Kona Unit with a newly installed Niner Carbon fork. It's stiff but seems to absorb trail junk...either that or the original P2 fork had so much chatter these seem great.
    Tim

mtbr member
    If it's any consolation my Niner RDO has brake flutter - absorbs trail buzz very well though - better than a uber stiff steel I had on the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ritchey forks are stupid stiff///

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like the idea of thru axle from whiskey. Makes it easier to swap forks of you are running a thru axle already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Ritchey forks are stupid stiff///
    This is the truth. I rode mine twice before I sold it. Too stiff for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    turns out my top cap bolt had worked a bit loose, so there was a tiny bit of play in the headset, which really amplified the chatter. The chatter is really only a worry on the road, cause on the trail it just sort of dissapears a bit with the rest of the trail chatter, but on the road it spins me out a bit. The brakes are nicely bed in now after last nights ride home and that helps.

I guess there is a fine line between flexy and too stiff. Gonna check out the Whisky and Niner forks (thought the Niner one only came tapered?), thanks for the ideas!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I haven't had any issues with my cheap chinese fork...works flawlessly on or off road,.although part of me is waiting for it to explode.