mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Suntour XCT V.4 vs. Rockshox XC 32 TK for 29er

Just getting back into mtnbking after a long hiatus. I recently purchased a Marin Pioneer Trail 29er which came with Suntour XCT shocks. I am wanting to upgrade the forks but not break the bank doing so. Would the Rock Shox XC 32's be an upgrade? I was hoping to stay under $200 but do not want to spend the money if there would be no change in quality or performance. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Crash Dummy In Training
    I would keep an eye out for a Used Reba RL or A Recon silver or even Gold.
    I've seen them going for around $300 thou.
    Recently saw a Reba RL 2013 single air for $300 with only a few ride's on it in the Sacramento Craigslist bike section.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The XC32 is an upgrade that you can use on trails. I would pick a Manitou Tower Pro, Reba or Recon Gold first because they are an upgrade but also are lighter.
    Weight off the front is the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. Think IM gonna look long and hard at the Recon Silver. For 100 bucks more I think I will be getting more bang for my buck. Is there really that much difference between an air shock and a coil spring if you are not doing in heavy duty rough trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KrossMtnBker View Post
    Just getting back into mtnbking after a long hiatus.

Your kids grown now too ?

Your in for a big sticker $$ shock on suspension forks as I was sense early 90's hiatus

The good news is cheap $150 coil~oil low travel sups. forks are better than my former Marzocchi xc 400, early 90's high ender........4lbs, Reliable,easy maint or throw away and replace for $100 bucks via ebay.........to bad we did not have ebay back then.

Pick your poison ? Are you an avid racer ? Ready to spend big dollars for less weight? How much travel do you need really? If your like me you used to run full rigid We had a habit / hobby of "up-grading" back then. The differance now is "up-grades" are like $200 minus each pound ........and everything is made in China anyways

If I were you (assuming you don't race competitively) I would use what you have and maintain it, maybe add some squishier tire's,,,,,,,,,,,,when/IF,,,,,your current sups. fork goes,,,,,,,,either replace it with a $150 low price,low travel,,, coil/oil or put on a steel fork and larger squish front tire.

Or like another suggested get a used decent one off ebay or other.

Best of luck........watch your wallet.........I still have one in college - Ka-ching ! ha,ha

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    can someone please tell me is the rockshox xc32 tk coil and solo air because on the sram website it says its both but i want the solo air so do they only come in air our coil? or do you choose when you buy it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speyers View Post
    can someone please tell me is the rockshox xc32 tk coil and solo air because on the sram website it says its both but i want the solo air so do they only come in air our coil? or do you choose when you buy it
    I thought the XC 32 was air as well. Information on here has lead me to believe there are two models (XC32) 1 air and the other coil.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    they are called solo air forks but it says theyre also coil

mtbr member

Re: Suntour XCT V.4 vs. Rockshox XC 32 TK for 29er

They are available in both forms. Coil works well, better than cheap suntours anyway, and lighter. Solo air version is hard to find outside of going to lbs to order. If ur going solo air (which is more expensive version) might as well just buy recons, cause they are close to the same price.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    im trying to buy a set of xc32 tk rockshox on ebay...but i dont want to go through the legal rights part unless i no i can choose to get solo air not coil...could you please help, do you know if you can choose!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speyers View Post
    im trying to buy a set of xc32 tk rockshox on ebay...but i dont want to go through the legal rights part unless i no i can choose to get solo air not coil...could you please help, do you know if you can choose!?
    ASK the E bay seller what model it is.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    You can also look to Suntour to upgrade your fork to a Raidon for $175 or an Epicon for $250 (15mm TA though) if that's still going on. There's a lengthy thread about it in the beginner's section. Check Here
    Seems like it's a worthwhile upgrade. You won't shed any weight with a Raidon, but it's an air fork and getting decent reviews.
    I opted for a Recon Gold TK because it was on sale at Cross Lake Sales and Random Bike Parts (same company I think) for $238...which was a steal. Especially because it's about 2lbs lighter than the Raidon/XCT. So don't rush it! Keep your eyes peeled and be patient and you can find a great fork that's wallet friendly.

mtbr member
    I got the coil version on eBay as well and I love it. Huge upgrade over my stock suntour.