mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Suntour XCR questions

Just got a 2013 Talon 1. It came with XCR forks, which I already know are not the best and should probably be replaced. I'm new to this mountain bike deal, however I am not new to offroad toys/racers. I am able to re-build by offroad car shocks, raced MX and was also a mechanic on MX bikes back in the day.

Here's my questions;

1) Do all forks top out hard when the wheel leaves the ground? I don't have the tension set very tight. When I jump off a curb it really slams hard. No rebound dampening adjustment.

2) Does anyone make a "top out" spring or rubber to install in the fork to soften the top out blow?

3) The manual is pretty weak but I assume the forks have oil in them. Anyone know what weight?

I know the best thing to do would be to upgrade but I have to do that in baby steps as the wifie will have my ass in a sling if she found out I had to spend money on an upgraded fork already and I just got the bike. . All the other stuff I've been buying to get geared up is explanatory as "I don't have this and I need it" where as a new fork, in her mind, is a not NEEDED item to ride.

Since she makes half the money around here, I guess she has a say......... LOL.

Thanks. I tried a search but came up with nothing, as in the search bar said nothing existed for my question.

mtbr member
    Suntour XCR Fork maintenance, disassembly, repair, fix, service.

Thanks Google/search

The "rebound" leg is a sealed cartridge that can not be user serviced.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 08-30-2013 at 02:59 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can upgrade to an air Raidon fork for 189+12 shipping.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by rorhound View Post
    When I jump off a curb it really slams hard.
    You are using up all your suspension jumping off curbs?

How big are the curbs in your world?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You are using up all your suspension jumping off curbs?

How big are the curbs in your world?
    Might be a question of how big he is! But it sounds like he's talking about the rebound of the fork, not bottoming out. We had a guy who bought a bike in our area recently, and he was just a big dude. With the preload all the way up on his fork, he was at 50% sag. They had to get him a heavier spring for his fork. Which makes me wonder.

OP - you are talking about the rebound right? How much preload are you using, and is it a stock medium spring, or have you upgraded the spring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Might be a question of how big he is! But it sounds like he's talking about the rebound of the fork, not bottoming out. We had a guy who bought a bike in our area recently, and he was just a big dude. With the preload all the way up on his fork, he was at 50% sag. They had to get him a heavier spring for his fork. Which makes me wonder.

OP - you are talking about the rebound right? How much preload are you using, and is it a stock medium spring, or have you upgraded the spring?

Yes, topping out/rebound is the problem, not bottoming out (yet).

I have the compression just one click in from all the way soft and also tried it all the way soft to try and soften the top out slam. Still pretty harsh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Emailed Suntour and here is the reply from Nick;

Thanks for your email. Because there is no hydraulic damping on this particular fork it will use a elastomer of metal spring to soften the return of the fork and that is what you are feeling when it rebounds.

The preload dial is designed to set the forks sag when you initially sit on the bicycle. It does not control the firmness or softness of the spring as that is based on the actual springs make up.

Best Regards

Looks like I'll be in the market for some new forks when I can't stand these anymore.

mtbr member

Re: Suntour XCR questions

This is how suntour forks are except hlo versions. I ran into this and hated it so bad my lbs ordered me Mamba rs xc32tk replacement forks for just about cost. I ride the Marlin 29er. Think he was afraid I was going to return the bike over it. I figured forks would be ok cause i had a set of hlo versions on my 26" and they weren't bad, I liked them being I was new to sport. The hydraulic lockout version didn't do the slamming crap the rest to their cheap forks do.

My advise, use suntours upgrade program and get way better forks for cheap if ur on a budget. Help even if not its a hellva deal so use it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Since she makes half the money around here, I guess she has a say......... LOL.
    Since you make the other half, take $400 and go buy yourself a Manitou Tower Pro fork off ebay. You can thank me later, and after you ride it you will

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rorhound View Post
    Emailed Suntour and here is the reply from Nick;

Thanks for your email. Because there is no hydraulic damping on this particular fork it will use a elastomer of metal spring to soften the return of the fork and that is what you are feeling when it rebounds.

The preload dial is designed to set the forks sag when you initially sit on the bicycle. It does not control the firmness or softness of the spring as that is based on the actual springs make up.

Best Regards

Looks like I'll be in the market for some new forks when I can't stand these anymore.
    I guess Nick at Suntour knows.

According to there website XCR forks have
    "System Coil spring / Hydraulic Remote speed-lock w.rebound adjust " here

XCM are pogo sticks od death with no damping.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Rogue Exterminator
    XCT and XCM honestly IMO do not belong on mountain bikes.
    I still have the XCR on my hardtail and it is a decent fork for a budget fork.

OP, how big are you?

As far as what fork to get, I would look in to the Suntour upgrade program.
    The Raidon can be bought for $175. May be easier to get the boss to agree to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you just started I doubt the fork is holding you back. When you feel your conditioning is not a major issue then upgrade the fork or the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shellshocked View Post
    If you just started I doubt the fork is holding you back. When you feel your conditioning is not a major issue then upgrade the fork or the bike.
    I'm positive it's not holding me back, I just don't like the slam when the front end comes off the ground. I have a couple of ideas I'm gonna try before I go with new forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    XCT and XCM honestly IMO do not belong on mountain bikes.
    I still have the XCR on my hardtail and it is a decent fork for a budget fork.

OP, how big are you?

As far as what fork to get, I would look in to the Suntour upgrade program.
    The Raidon can be bought for $175. May be easier to get the boss to agree to it.
    6' 3". 205lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hmm my XCR didn't slam and knock hard, but I don't do big drops or anything. Mine didn't have adjustable rebound, it was fixed. It did however have adjustable compression. I didn't think it was that bad of a fork for the price level for beginners...well not near as bad as XCT anyways.

Rogue Exterminator
    For the record, the XCR has an adjustable preload.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just don't(imo) put any money into this fork. It will just make your real one more expensive.