Thread: Suntour Forks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Suntour Forks

I read the thread in the Beginner forum about the Suntour Upgrade Program for their forks. I emailed them and got a response, but I'm still having trouble figuring out if it's a good deal or not. Apparently I can get the Epicon LO R 15Qlc 29" fork for $250. After looking at their site I saw an X1 and X2 model as well as a designation of "Lite" in the model name. After a follow up email with them I got a confirmation that it is the Lite version, but I don't know if it's the X1 or X2 model. Does anyone have an opinion or anything on these forks, whether this a good deal, etc.?

mtbr member
    If you're going to spend money on a fork do two things: First, make sure the frame is worth spending money on. Second, get a fork worth spending money on. That pretty much means buy something besides a Suntour. These are entry level forks made to put on entry level bikes so they can have suspension at entry level prices. As such, they are designed to last/work only long enough for someone to know if they want to keep riding and upgrade to something better all around, or quit because they bike they bought doesn't work right anymore.

Some frames that come with Suntour forks are worth spending the money on, others are not. If you have a nice frame that just had low end components on it, look at a Fox or a RS fork. But save yourself the time, money, and frustration of the Suntour.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't spend $100 let alone $250 for that Suntour fork. For $350ish you can get a high quality Reba from RockShox.

Agree with the previous post; make sure the frame is worth the upgrade. If there is a low quality headset installed, you might also want to look at replacing while doing the upgrade. Low quality headsets can get rusty/gritty over time because sealing isn't good enough.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

B.Ike
    Sun tour sells enty level forks in this country (usa), but they have a full line of forks and have a better reputation in Europe. I might be wrong about this, but my brother who is in the bike industry, said they are made in the same factory as Marzocchi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If you're going to spend money on a fork do two things: First, make sure the frame is worth spending money on. Second, get a fork worth spending money on. That pretty much means buy something besides a Suntour. These are entry level forks made to put on entry level bikes so they can have suspension at entry level prices. As such, they are designed to last/work only long enough for someone to know if they want to keep riding and upgrade to something better all around, or quit because they bike they bought doesn't work right anymore.

Some frames that come with Suntour forks are worth spending the money on, others are not. If you have a nice frame that just had low end components on it, look at a Fox or a RS fork. But save yourself the time, money, and frustration of the Suntour.
    FYI: SR Suntour does not only make entry level forks! Although that is what they are best known for they also produce forks for professional level riders. Suntour forks were ridden by 2012 Olympic gold medalist and world cup champion Julie Bresset, as well as world cup 4X champion Roger Rinderknecht. In addition legendary freerider Brett Tippie rides for suntour as well as James Doerfling and Garett Buehler, both participants in the 2012 Redbull Rampage. James finished in 6th place. World cup winner and all around legend Eric Carter also rides for Suntour and Felt's US xc team will also be riding Suntour suspension this year. I don't know, seems like a pretty capable fork option to me, but perhaps Cotharyus requires something higher end than these riders I mentioned. Suntour has also been known to manufacture parts for a number of other fork 'manufacturers' including some of the forks Cotharyus recommends, so......... maybe don't believe everything you read on internet forums. best to do a little research and make an educated decision for yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I wouldn't spend $100 let alone $250 for that Suntour fork. For $350ish you can get a high quality Reba from RockShox.

Agree with the previous post; make sure the frame is worth the upgrade. If there is a low quality headset installed, you might also want to look at replacing while doing the upgrade. Low quality headsets can get rusty/gritty over time because sealing isn't good enough.
    says the guy who has a full 2 years of riding under his belt and doesn't know how to route his front brake hose......

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and we appreciate your strong opinions. SR Suntour no doubt makes forks at a very large spectrum. We obviously fill a need in the OEM industry for bikes under $1000 as well as bikes over that price range. We realize there is a big stigma to our brand and it will take some time to overcome it. It's not to big of a deal as we realize this perception will eventually change and we are commited to the work it will take.

We currently have several high end forks that have won several World Cup events not to mention World titles under serveral different categories in that last few years. In addition to the World Cup level we have been providing forks for riders such as Doerfling, Beuhler and Hall O Famer Brett Tippie. I'm not trying to name drop here just giving out some examples of what level our technology and quality can perform to.

In regards to the Marzocchi comment we did make some components and do some assembly for Marzocchi but that is no longer the case. Marzocchi is now using another quality builder to help produce their forks.

Best,
    Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

DMills
    Apr 2012
    I went from a basic Suntour to a Manitou Tower Pro - modest price for the Manitou and a very nice fork IMO. Check the reviews on this forum - if you don't want to drop a ton of cash but want a MARS air fork then it's def worth a look.

mtbr member
    I don't think it is much of a risk for $250. My biggest concern with buying a lesser known brand of fork is rebuildability. If you ride frequently you'll likely have to have the fork overhauled at least once a year. If your shop is unfamiliar with the rebuild process for Suntour forks or if replacement parts and detailed service manuals are hard to find you may be buying a headache, ask them before pulling the trigger. Also look at X-Fusion - they make very good products for not a lot of $.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blammo585 View Post
    I read the thread in the Beginner forum about the Suntour Upgrade Program for their forks. I emailed them and got a response, but I'm still having trouble figuring out if it's a good deal or not. Apparently I can get the Epicon LO R 15Qlc 29" fork for $250. After looking at their site I saw an X1 and X2 model as well as a designation of "Lite" in the model name. After a follow up email with them I got a confirmation that it is the Lite version, but I don't know if it's the X1 or X2 model. Does anyone have an opinion or anything on these forks, whether this a good deal, etc.?
    So other than "Suntour sucks, roflcopter", can anyone answer the question about the forks? The Rockhopper I just picked up also has a Suntour and I have also wondered if I should take advantage of the upgrade program.

mtbr member
    Clearly things are changing at Suntour. As such, I'll withdraw my comment, and stand corrected. But consider it a complete withdraw because now that there's quality forks from Suntour in the mix, I clearly know nothing about them, and having nothing to offer in the way of advice.

Always interesting to learn something.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Clearly things are changing at Suntour. As such, I'll withdraw my comment, and stand corrected. But consider it a complete withdraw because now that there's quality forks from Suntour in the mix, I clearly know nothing about them, and having nothing to offer in the way of advice.

+rep for you...great attitude !

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

I repped you as well. I know nothing about the suntour forks except their low level offering that came stock on a friend's trek marin or something like that. It froze up, but it was definitely an entry level fork.

I do know that if your frame is worth updating and you want to upgrade the fork, then do not skimp or you will be down this road again. I would get the best fork you can afford or keep saving for a little longer to get something you will be very happy with in the future.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Suntour is indeed now making high-end suspension. They also build Marzocchi AND the new DVO (run by the former Marzocchi team until 2012) forks. Do not confuse the mass market lower end forks with their new premium Rux (not available yet) and their Durolux forks

mtbr member

Re: Suntour Forks

I run the Raidon LO-R X1 29" (air, lockout, rebound) and love it so far. I have the 9mm dropout version and paid $175 with the upgrade program.

Thing is great, and people notice it because it's not a Rock SHOX.

I've got about 200 miles on it and it's great so far.

A friend of mine has a Specialized with Reba on it and he took my bike for about 15 miles. Claims it was equal to his Reba in performance.

I'm going to build a Niner from scratch next year and I'm likely going to build it with Suntours Epicon fork.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

usually cranky
    suntour has some very nice stuff, most notably the durolux but also the epic on seems to be of good quality as well. i would jump on one if they made a 140 29er fork. q lock is one of the best ta's in the game too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am looking at a bike that has the Suntour Raidon-LO Air 29 fork on it.....any word about that fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    I am looking at a bike that has the Suntour Raidon-LO Air 29 fork on it.....any word about that fork?
    Similar to what I have, it's a good fork.
    2014 Scott Scale 740