Thread: Suntour fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Suntour fork

I recently just started the sport, and at 32, Prolly kinda late. I noticed on my fork, there was a warning that the fork is only rated for basically xc. I ride mostly trails, and beginner trails at that. I do realize at this point my skills are not at the point where the fork is holding me back, and untill then I will not buy a replacement. My question is, how likely is this fork gonna hold up untill then?
    Last edited by das028; 09-10-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling error

puts the FU in fun
    As long as you don't weigh 250+ It should hold up just fine provided you don't start hucking or doing big drops. I'm sure the sticker is more for legal purposes so you don't start treating the bike like a dirt jumper. If you don't have the scratch to upgrade to a higher-end susp fork right now and REALLY want to improve your skills, throw a cheaper rigid fork on for the time being like a Voodoo Zombie (about 70 bucks).
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What bike do you have? Agreed, I dont think youll have problems having fun with the fork - most bike's are rated at 250 pounds anyway (Trek at least says this...)

I think you'll be fine until you hone your skills.

mtbr member
    Just don't do this...
    forks break - YouTube

because suntour forks aren't made all that great... really...

btw, this kid is nowhere near 250 lbs

You should be fine riding rocky chunk... just take it slow...

FKA Malibu412
    Most Suntour forks first fail in one way and that is the bushings wear prematurely and stiction goes way up. The fork then becomes a heavy, locked out/rigid fork. Takes about 3-5 months, YMMV. That's when most people upgrade to a Rockshox something-something. Otherwise, Suntours are fairly strong and probably won't snap in half on you.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Just don't do this...

because suntour forks aren't made all that great... really...

btw, this kid is nowhere near 250 lbs

You should be fine riding rocky chunk... just take it slow...
    Frame broke though, not really the fork. I doubt OP will be doing that anytime soon lol

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    Frame broke though, not really the fork. I doubt OP will be doing that anytime soon lol
    Did you actually watch the video...until the camera moved in for a close up of the broken fork steer tube/crown?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I did - but I thought when most people say the "fork" broke, I assume that they actually meant the suspension part and not the steer tube. Apologies if thats incorrect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by das028 View Post
    I recently just started the sport, and at 32, Prolly kinda late. I noticed on my fork, there was a warning that the fork is only rated for basically xc. I ride mostly trails, and beginner trails at that. I do realize at this point my skills are not at the point where the fork is holding me back, and untill then I will not buy a replacement. My question is, how likely is this fork gonna hold up untill then?
    Couldnt I just lock this one out, and get the same effect?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by das028 View Post
    Couldnt I just lock this one out, and get the same effect?
    Yes, you can. When you want suspension up front, however, once the bushings fail, you have little-to-no spring action up front,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Most Suntour forks first fail in one way and that is the bushings wear prematurely and stiction goes way up. The fork then becomes a heavy, locked out/rigid fork. Takes about 3-5 months, YMMV. That's when most people upgrade to a Rockshox something-something. Otherwise, Suntours are fairly strong and probably won't snap in half on you.
    It depends on the fork. Suntour like other fork manufacturers make low end forks. Recently Suntour also makes higher end forks. I have been using an Epicon RLD on both of my bikes for a long time. One fork has been in service for over a year, and the other for 6 months. Both work as well as they did the day I got them. One is on my XC bike, and the other is on my more aggressive bike.

FKA Malibu412
    @ Captain: yes, they make low and high end stuff. Unfortunately, their OEM low end stuff experiences bushing failure early and often. Being around our local shop quite a bit, coaching high school cyclists who are starting out with entry level equipment, and seeing what is generally on the floor for repairs, I notice these failures regularly. Stock forks are pretty much worthless as suspension just a few months after purchase, which is too early in my opinion. The low end RockShox products seems to hold up a little better, ime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So you'll stay on beginner trails until your fork performance deteriorates and then replace.. This 150 fork should be on your bike for skill development. It has adjustable rebound damping.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    So you'll stay on beginner trails until your fork performance deteriorates and then replace.. This 150 fork should be on your bike for skill development. It has adjustable rebound damping.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork
    Best fork at that price point IMO. I had the older version of the same fork called to Tora TK 32 and it worked well for me. Very nice action and durable. Sold it with a bike to my nephew and it is still working nicely. Another family member has the XC 32 TK 29 on a Bikes Direct hard tail and it is still as smooth as the day he took the bike out of the box. Money spent well.

mtbr member
    i have the tk on my airborne guardian. it is "insufficient" for my weight! it is consequently for sale. if you are interested!

$100 plus shipping!

back to topic! what are the thoughts on a 270# rider on an aluminum 29 hardtail, fork wise? i dont have the scratch for an air fork, so i was thinking about a rigid. however, id like to run a 100mm corrected fork. any suggestions? bigger would be ok to, just not an 80mm.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

FKA Malibu412
    Zuk, VooDoo has a 500mm A-C rigid fork available pretty reasonably priced. They recommend it for frames corrected for 100-120mm travel forks.

You can also get an extra firm spring for the TK, also pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    haha, extra firm! haha. i weigh 50# more than its rated for! haha.

ive considered the voodoo, but was concern it may be to tall. only one way to know, right?

thanx for the reply
    2012 Airborne Guardian.