mtbr member

Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.

I recently posted this following in the Drivetrain Forum and didn't get too much response so I thought I'd post it here as well. I know that there are quite a few people who have said they still use 9 speed drivetrains and would like lower gearing for a 29" bike.

I used to live in New Jersey and was perfectly happy with my Shimano XT 11-34T cassette on my 29" hardtail. A few months ago I moved to Northern California where the climbs are extended and can be a few thousand feet straight up. I'd prefer not to replace my entire drivetrain so I've been looking for a 36T 9 speed cassette and came across the Sunrace CSM99 on Amazon.

Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.-91i2lymdgpl._sl1500_.jpg
    Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.-8103xhvx0fl._sl1500_.jpg

These are the claimed specs. for this cassette:

11-36 9 Speed cassette featuring a nickel plated finish
    Black anodized aluminum spider composite spacers and aluminum lockring
    Gear Combination 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36
    Weight 390 grams
    Chain compatibility 6.6mm

Out of curiosity I went ahead and ordered one and I'm a bit disappointed but maybe I'm being a bit neurotic. I don't want to destroy my aluminum freehub.

The claim that it has an aluminum spider may be a bit misleading. only the first three cogs are on the spider. The rest are single cogs with spacers in between except for the 11T and 13T which are one piece.

If anyone has used one of these I'd appreciate any input as it looks promising, if it works well and doesn't destroy the freehub body.

Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.-img_0070.jpg
    Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.-img_0071.jpg
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Isn't that the same configuration as XT or XTR? First three or four and then loose. I would try it. Go for a ride around the block and check it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    my road cassettes are all like that. Also, please report back on your riding impressions. I'm looking at this cassette or spending big bucks and converting to 10 speed with the oneup 42T conversion

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd probably just get the Shimano 11-36 cassette. Is your freehub available in steel?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The carrier is really important on the large rings because of the torque. One reason I'm reluctant to do the 42T conversion. The smaller cogs could get away without being on a carrier, although I'd still be reluctant to use it on an alloy hub. I checked the gear ratios, and I decided to get the 11-34 HG51 shimano cassette. Not enough of a benefit to justify the higher cost for the sunrace cassette. I'd considered the 12-36 shimano 9-speed cassette, but for some reason it's much much more expensive than their 11-34T. Basically, the same as a 10-speed cassete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Isn't that the same configuration as XT or XTR? First three or four and then loose. I would try it. Go for a ride around the block and check it.
    No, The XT has the first "six" cogs attached to the spider.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830625614.pdf
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I'd probably just get the Shimano 11-36 cassette. Is your freehub available in steel?
    Unfortunately no I can't get a steel freehub and I know that the Shimano HG61 eats aluminium freehubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    The carrier is really important on the large rings because of the torque. One reason I'm reluctant to do the 42T conversion. The smaller cogs could get away without being on a carrier, although I'd still be reluctant to use it on an alloy hub. I checked the gear ratios, and I decided to get the 11-34 HG51 shimano cassette. Not enough of a benefit to justify the higher cost for the sunrace cassette. I'd considered the 12-36 shimano 9-speed cassette, but for some reason it's much much more expensive than their 11-34T. Basically, the same as a 10-speed cassete.
    You can get the Shimano HG61 cassette for $42 from places like Universal Cycles:

Universal Cycles -- Shimano CS-HG61 9sp Cassette

but as I said it chews up aluminum freehubs.

mtbr member
    I thought that I should report back on a problem I had with this cassette before someone else went to the trouble of getting one. Today I took the trouble to fit it and could not complete the job. The machining of the last (11 tooth) cog that goes over the end of the freehub body was very poor and would not fit properly.

So back it goes.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I thought that I should report back on a problem I had with this cassette before someone else went to the trouble of getting one. Today I took the trouble to fit it and could not complete the job. The machining of the last (11 tooth) cog that goes over the end of the freehub body was very poor and would not fit properly.

So back it goes.
    Use a road bike style spacer behind the cassette. THat is the thin little washer that is cut out the same shape as the Shimano freehub body. This is a common issue with road bike freehubs and cassettes.

Name:  mhhZevOR2iKEKOwhNLkMtoQ.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  4.2 KB

But yeah, it's going to be a while before I give up my 9 speed. I'm running Dual Control levers, and love them... but, they dropped it before going 10 speed.

I would love to get a 36t big cog I can use with an alu freeub body.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Sunrace CSM99 9-Speed 11-36T Cassette.

I got the sunrace 11-36 awhile ago and it has been great.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Use a road bike style spacer behind the cassette. THat is the thin little washer that is cut out the same shape as the Shimano freehub body. This is a common issue with road bike freehubs and cassettes.

But yeah, it's going to be a while before I give up my 9 speed. I'm running Dual Control levers, and love them... but, they dropped it before going 10 speed.

I would love to get a 36t big cog I can use with an alu freeub body.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. Surely that spacer would move the cassette outboard. I fitted the thing and it looked fine. It even worked fine in the stand, without making any adjustments, until I changed into the 11T cog. The chain jammed up against the chain stay and wouldn't go onto the cog. I took the cassette of and noticed that the slots that fit over the end of the splines were very badly cut and would not fit properly so the cog was too far outboard. If it doesn't fit right, I don't want it.

I had dual control on my XTR M960 group and thought it was great (at first) but had a few scares when the brake lever disappeared out of my hand in the rough and gave it up. One reason I don't want to give up my 9 speed though is rapid rise. I love going into a bigger gear with my thumb on both shifters.

mtbr member
    That's nice that finally there is another option, but it doesn't sound like a great one.
    And the Shimano HG-61 12-36 cassette has no carrier and weighs around 423g. I had hoped that a carrier style cassette would have saved more weight.

FKA Malibu412
    Digging this up.

I recently purchased an M99 based on a recommendation. That individual's M99 looked and performed very close to a Shimano XT-level cassette, 5-point carrier with the 6 lowest gears mounted on it.

To order and receive this M99 with the 3-gear carrier and poorer quality than either S co., I am a bit disappointed. I was planning to use this cassette on a new Stan's Flow with an alloy free hub body and was expecting the 6-gear carrier to prevent more gears from digging into the alloy.

Btw, other than the Shimano HG61 with all separate gears and this Sunrace, no one makes a 9-speed 11-36 or 12-36. There are no quality 9-sp 36 tooth cassettes available.

Anyone with the Sunrace on an alloy FHB with good results? I haven't mounted it on the wheel yet so I don't know if I'll have the same 11-t problem that Ronnie did.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Digging this up.

I recently purchased an M99 based on a recommendation. That individual's M99 looked and performed very close to a Shimano XT-level cassette, 5-point carrier with the 6 lowest gears mounted on it.

To order and receive this M99 with the 3-gear carrier and poorer quality than either S co., I am a bit disappointed. I was planning to use this cassette on a new Stan's Flow with an alloy free hub body and was expecting the 6-gear carrier to prevent more gears from digging into the alloy.

Btw, other than the Shimano HG61 with all separate gears and this Sunrace, no one makes a 9-speed 11-36 or 12-36. There are no quality 9-sp 36 tooth cassettes available.

Anyone with the Sunrace on an alloy FHB with good results? I haven't mounted it on the wheel yet so I don't know if I'll have the same 11-t problem that Ronnie did.
    @ Clyde
    Did you get this mounted yet and take it for a test run?

FKA Malibu412
    @BMC: it's mounted on the free hub and fits fine but the wheel is not on the bike yet

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I hope it will work, because I'm count on this cassette....

mtbr member
    Well, it works. I don't feel it shifts as clean as my xt or xo did. It also had a little ghost shifting but that may be due to me not using a new chain. I'm also not a fan of the super shiny chainrings, looks cheap. It seams like the spider they used for the 3 large rings made it weigh more than just being separate rings. I guess it'll have to do until I can afford a new 10 speed drivetrain. I do like having the 36 tooth for some climbs.

FKA Malibu412
    Yep, it works, and it works fairly well. Probably a good value. Shifting is smooth, quiet.

My biggest concern is the 6 highest gears digging into the fh body. When they do, I will somehow pry them off and Stan's will send me a steel one at no cost. All good.