Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    I see you've already chosen a different set of wheels (nice choice by the way) but I figured I'd share my experience with my Sun Ringles in case other people click this thread and are interested in the wheels. I've been racing all season in New England on a pair of Black Flag Pro 29s and haven't had to true these wheels once. For what it's worth I weight in the high 150's though.....this may not be the case for a heavier rider. As other folks have mentioned, the hubs really do spin forever and haven't given me any issues in the 7 months I've had them. When changing tires for the first time (tubeless) I noticed that the stock yellow tape had ripped on each wheel. I re-taped the wheels and haven't had any issues yet. I'm guessing it was a bad install from the factory. I've run Ikons, Ignitors, X-kings and rampages on these rims so far; all tubeless and all aired up without any problems with a floor pump. They're a nice weight as well.....on par the mavic crossmax. Anyways, a great set of wheels for a great price. I think I paid less than 400 for them.

I'm 195 lbs. I bought mine to lighten up my bike for some races this summer. I liked them so much I left them on and have been riding without issue since mid-May.

Like you I also had some holes in the tape on the rear wheel. Re-taped with Gorilla tape and all is good.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Where did you get Black Flag Pros from for less than $400?
    Zakman....One of the online retailers had the previous years model on closeout last year (gold hubs). I can't remember which site it was though. Maybe someone else will remember?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For anyone that's interested, my Black Flag Pro's came in with the following weights, including yellow tape but excluding the value and skewers...

Front 855g
    Rear 965g

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My experience with Charger Pro and Black Flag Pro have been very good. They do spin forever and look great doing so. I would not hesitate buying another set. Here are my thoughts based on my experience with them. I weigh 175 lbs and raced XC on the BFP and rode the Charger Pros on a Niner RIP9.

1. Have the spoke tension checked out of the box. One might reasonably assume this was done when they were built, but it never hurts.
    2. Get the extra 142mm rear end caps. They are extra, unlike the front which comes with all the endcaps. This makes your wheelset more versatile and easier to sell if you sell them later. Also order an extra spoke for each side of each wheel. It never hurts to have a spare just in case, and these are straight pull.
    3. If you use the 20mm front end caps and occasionally have the need to switch to 9mm or 15mm, you might want to use some emery cloth or fine grit sandpaper to buff down the edge of the retaining rings. Those things are a TIGHT fit. I used a Dremel with buffer wheel to remove enough material along the edge of the rings so they press in snugly with your thumbs, and will pop out easily with a rubber mallet.

geek

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I hadn't thought about the 142 caps simply because none of my bikes have it. But for futureproofing it's a great idea.

Geek, you are right about the 20mm caps. My god is it a pain in the ass to get those installed! I might have to try the buffer wheel on the dremel if I ever have to take them off for some reason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No problem with my set in over 150 hard trail miles. Small jumps. 210lbs. Very happy given the price.

Getting ready to use the 20mm TA adapters for the front. Set up Nobby Nics tubeless easily.

My fiancée runs them on her bike too now got a smoking deal at $260/set. Hers also set up easily tubeless on Panaracer XC pros.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have the Charger Expert in 26 for my Titus Mototlite. I have only put in five days on them (I've had them for 6 months). They have been faultless. A friend got Black Flag Experts 26 for his single speeed and has maybe 20 days on them in 10 months.

We both weigh around 200lbs and ride aggressive XC. No issues with the wheels at all.

Some points:

1) The skewers are the sort that use an external plastic washer for the cam to slide on. I have replaced these with XTR-960 skewers with the internal cam. I've never had good luck with the external cam skewers. My friends BFE skewers loosened on him. I highly recommend using shimano skewers (XT are great, but even Deore are the same mechanism).
    2) I wanted Pro's, but they weren't on special (my wheels were from ChainReactionCycles, and worked out to less than $US300 delivered, which includes 20% VAT). The Pro's can be converted from QR to QR15 and 20mm thru axle. That would have been really nice to have, but not worth spending an extra $200.

Great wheels for the money so far, and I'd buy again for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    I have the Charger Expert in 26 for my Titus Mototlite. I have only put in five days on them (I've had them for 6 months). They have been faultless. A friend got Black Flag Experts 26 for his single speeed and has maybe 20 days on them in 10 months.

We both weigh around 200lbs and ride aggressive XC. No issues with the wheels at all.

Some points:

1) The skewers are the sort that use an external plastic washer for the cam to slide on. I have replaced these with XTR-960 skewers with the internal cam. I've never had good luck with the external cam skewers. My friends BFE skewers loosened on him. I highly recommend using shimano skewers (XT are great, but even Deore are the same mechanism).
    2) I wanted Pro's, but they weren't on special (my wheels were from ChainReactionCycles, and worked out to less than $US300 delivered, which includes 20% VAT). The Pro's can be converted from QR to QR15 and 20mm thru axle. That would have been really nice to have, but not worth spending an extra $200.

Exactly about the skewers, got the Blackflag Expert and the very same skewer came lose twice in a race, definetely let me down... got a set of Shimano Deore skewers I'm using from now on, they might be 10gr heavier but are reliable
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post

So would I. Full season of hard riding on the 2011 Charger Experts 29er that I bought for $300. Easy to set up tubeless, stout for a 28H rim (even for my 215 lbs), and sound good too.

As for the skewers, I agree, the stockers suck. I'm using a Chromag QR skewer and it's primo!

mtbr member

My experience with SunRinglé

I had the Black Flag Experts 2011. They are an awsome wheel set. I can also confirm that they spin for ever. Coasting was incredibly smooth and climbing went with incredible ease. Durability is also quite good. I used them for 7 months. Hubs no issues and the rims only very minor untrue, basically neglegible. I weigh about 75kg, maybe for havier riders it would be a bigger issue. The only problem was that I had them on the wrong bike - Marin Nail trail 29" 2011. Valuevise the bike was great, but horrible geometry. Frame flex was really feelable and fork had too steep angle. When going fast especially in terrain it was really unstable and handling was difficult. After about 7 months I sold the bike of course allong with the Sunringlé BFE. Do I miss them. Now I was upgrading wheels on my Trek Superfly AL 2012 (great bike by the way). I was really considering the BFP, but then found a great deal for WTB Stryker XC and bought them. Their hubs are identical as American Classic which really convinced me to go for them. They roll well, but not as smooth as the BFE. I expected more from them. The Srykers are significantly more solid built than the BFE, but the ease of spin is more important - that determines how much energy you must put into pedaling to gain speed.
    Fitting tires into the BFE rim (which is the same as on BFP) was no problem. I had the Continental race king on them. It was only necessary to put some pressure in them and the tires simply snapped into place. Unlike the stock rims on my Superfly AL: Bontrager mustangs - it is impossible to get tires into them properly even with high overpressure using a compressor.
    If the BFE are so great, with even better hubs how good can the BFP be...

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'll concur, I have the Black Flag Pros. Two years old, the ones with the gold hubs. They were my race wheels at the time, but I'm relegating them to training duty now that I got some one pound lighter carbon wheels for race day. The BFP's do hold up great. Only issue so far was a rip I found in the stock stan's rim tape on the rear. It took a bit of troubleshooting to figure out why the tire kept going flat. I tried just adding more stan's first, but it was obvious once I took the tire off. Removed the old tape, cleaned, retaped with Stan's again. Good to go. As noted they do spin forever. I was noticing how smooth the bearings were on my new specs, and how long they spun. Then I put the BFP's back on and was surprised that they seemed to just spin forever too. I've been between 160-170 lbs during the time I've had these wheels, and I have the 26'ers. Rocky AZ terrain. Cat 1 speeds. I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. Trying to get hold of some of the 12x142 end caps currently, seem hard to find in stock, but the wheels are great. I'd have no hesitation recommending them for XC/Trail use.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The black ones are almost always in stock. Red ones seem harder to come by. I bet if you call them that they would order them for you.
    Universal Cycles -- SunRingle Wheelset Hub Axle Conversions

mtbr member
    So every front Black Flag Expert wheel should be 15mm compatible? my wheels front bearings are so tiny, less than 15mm for sure...
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

FM
    luxatio erecta
    For what it's worth.... the charger pro 29's have the same ERD as the light bicycle carbon hookless 29" rims, so you can do a lace-over using the same hubs & spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    So every front Black Flag Expert wheel should be 15mm compatible? my wheels front bearings are so tiny, less than 15mm for sure...
    Post a picture of your hub. Unless you have an older iteration of the Black Flag Expert that didn't have the option you should be able to pull out the end caps and replace them with 15mm. versions.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2