mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert or Sun Ringle Charger Pros?

I can pick either one up for $400-$450.

So which is a better buy, the Black Flag Expert with or the Charger Pro wheelset. Thanks for the inpput.

*** I changed the MTX out and replaced it with the Black Flag since that made for a better comparison.
    Last edited by J Crew; 01-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Big difference in the rims...not really a comparison.

The MTX33 is a HUGE rim, a super burly rim for a 29er DH bike or for Super Clyde riders.

The Charger wheelset uses a trail rim that would compare to the Inferno 27 but with Stans first generation BST tubeless profile.

Since we know nothing about your size, riding style, terrain, etc there is no way to make a recommendation.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Single track trail riding mainly with lots of turns. Not looking to do big jumps or many drops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If tubeless is a factor, then the Mtx 33 may not be for you. The MTX33 would probably be overkill, unless you weigh 250lbs or want a super-wide, indestructible wheel. Oh, I guess the other advantage of the MTX33 is that they would have to be hand built, which might be nice if you know a good wheel-builder.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Black Flags should be plenty for twisty singletrack riding unless you're a big rider.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Ive got two sets of the Charger Pros. I havent had a single problem with either, both tubeless. They are light enough while being plenty strong.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    anthonys --"He got that thing airborne, and it sunk like a hammer into a lake. Physics never blinks."
    Just buy what you want

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Black Flags should be plenty for twisty singletrack riding unless you're a big rider.
    Thanks for the input. Big difference between the Expert and Pro models to a weekend warrior? Thanks again.

The White Jeff W
    The Charger/Black Flag wheels use the same rim whether Expert or Pro level. I believe the main difference is in the hubs. I have no experience with the Expert level but I can say that the Pro level hub is excellent. Smoothest rolling hub Ive used. Coming from Hope Pro II's the difference was noticeable immediately on the trail. My bike was faster and easier to pedal. After a season of riding I took them apart for a service and just put them right back together. Not a speck of dirt inside.

The only negative Ive heard is that some people are scared off by the straight pull spokes and 28 spoke count. Contrary to some reports replacement spokes can be bought at Chain Reaction Cycles. The wheels are plenty stiff under my 200 lb self. LOVE THEM!

The Black Flag rim compares to Stans Crest. The Charger has the same cross section but is wider, comparable to Stans Flow
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 01-14-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    jeffw-13, great info and thanks for that input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The Charger/Black Flag wheels use the same rim whether Expert or Pro level. I believe the main difference is in the hubs. I have no experience with the Expert level but I can say that the Pro level hub is excellent. Smoothest rolling hub Ive used. Coming from Hope Pro II's the difference was noticeable immediately on the trail. My bike was faster and easier to pedal. After a season of riding I took them apart for a service and just put them right back together. Not a speck of dirt inside.

The only negative Ive heard is that some people are scared off by the straight pull spokes and 28 spoke count. Contrary to some reports replacement spokes can be bought at Chain Reaction Cycles. The wheels are plenty stiff under my 200 lb self. LOVE THEM!

The Black Flag rim compares to Stans Crest. The Charger has the same cross section but is wider, comparable to Stans Flow
    I love mine as well. I'm on 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts,bought for $300 last year and was total skeptical about the 28-spoke count too, and I was 250 lbs last year too. I was coming from a DH-orientated 26er wheelset (Hope Pro 2/Mavic EX721) and I didn't change my riding style one bit and they have held up beautifully to a full season of hard shredding. I switched the freehub body to a cromoly unit and running a 12-36 9spd cassette on there, no gouging or noises (an XT 11-34 on the stock aluminum freehub sounded horrible pedaling uphill).

In terms of service, mine are still rolling smoothly and need absolutely nothing except a freak spoke break incident goofing around the yard on the grass when we had snow recently. The spoke sheered off right at the nipple (been a few years since I broke a spoke lol) and contacted Sun-Ringle for correct replacement lengths, a few emails back and forth, and they shipped me a few replacement spokes for free after coming up short trying to find them online to buy (Wheelsmith DB14 black, 280mm and 281mm lengths). That's awesome service btw!

And to compare the Sun-Ringle hubs to the Hopes, I feel that I did not give anything up, they feel as good as the Hopes did, plus they sound very similar as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought the Charger Pro's last year. Apart from a few loose spokes in the rear wheel, which I solved by retentioning the whole wheel, I have not had any problems with the Charger Pro's. Despite being a tad on the clumsy side when riding I only ever needed to true the wheel twice and since then they've been rock solid.