ballbuster

Sun EQ23 29er rim feedback?

I built a rim using a used Crest hoop, and the goofy thing is not very stable. I don't even have it on the bike yet, and I can tell this is not going to end well on the trail, 10 miles from the trailhead.

I think I need to start over with a new hoop. Also, the bead on that Crest is impossibly tight. I hope I never get a flat, because I can't even get tire levers in there to get the gar-dang tire off. BTW, I have about zero interest in tubeless... well, maybe 10% interest in tubeless.

But, I'm broke, so I need to do it on the cheaps. I'm still trying to save up some cash for another Lefty, and this will be a bit of a setback. I'm about $200 shy of a sweet carbon Fox Lefty Max... so close I can smell it!

Sun EQ23 rims are looking pretty sweet for a low rent, 460 gram welded, XC grade rim, that happens to have about the same ERD as the Crest rim. The going rate seems to be about $45 each landed, or two for $80 landed. I intend to build a nice wheelset in the future, but I think this might do the trick for now.

So, how are these things? Decent and stable, or taco city? I don't tend to ruin rims. I weight a bit over 200 these days, but ride XC.

Yes, I already searched and didn't find a lot of feedback on this one.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well I believe the EQ23 is now replaced by the Inferno23. I have a EQ27 29" rim built up and the rim itself is very well made. It laced up quickly and true with nice even tension. I just got a Inferno 27 for the front (I couldn't find a matching front EQ27) and it looks to be equal quality bit is a different shaped rim. It is more of a semi-aero profile with a shallower rim cavity but it is NOT using the BST rim bead profile as some have suggested. The EQ rims are not a good candidate for tubeless, the Inferno might be but I haven't tried yet.

I haven't got much ride time so I can't give a long term durability but I've been using and building Sun rims since the mid 90's and have always found them to be a quality rim at a more affordable price than the bigger names such as DT and Mavic.

turtles make me hot
    I've never built the 23's but I've built 5 sets of wheels with the EQ27 and I like them very much.
    I've got a pair of Inferno 27's waiting to get built and they look good too.
    I like turtles

Is that Bill rated?
    Have not been impressed with the EQ23s, they are just not off road rims in my experience.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    I rode a set last year a few times and have nothing bad to say about them. I thought they were light and held up well under me at 200lbs riding xc. Look for a set of disco fleas, they can be found cheap and have the eq23 rims with dirty flea hubs. Thats what I had. I had 6 rides on them and took them apart to build up with Arch rims because I wanted to ride tubeless.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    The EQ23s are decent rims, I rode them several years without issue. Wanted to go tubeless easily since the EQ23s never quite worked without a ton of work building up the rim bed, so I sold them and have been on the Arches ever since. Since you're not interested in tubeless, they're good rims for what you want.

ballbuster
    I'm leaning towards Infernos. The ERD is closer to what I have already, so I probably can re-use my spokes (with new nipples, naturally).

That said, I got my Crest wheel trued up well enough. The driveway/curb test didin't show anything too odd. We'll see what happens on the trail.

Thanks for the input, folks!