Moral derailleur

Suggestions for a small upgrade

Hello everybody!

First of all, great forums and very helpful community! I've been reading a lot, but as you can see this would be my first post.

I just bought a Trek Wahoo the past weekend. My previous bike is a Trek 3700 2008, you can imagine how I feel with a new one (long overdue).

I'm looking to upgrade the rear derailleur and its shifter for starters and my budget for this is $200 USD. (I'm keeping the 8 speed cassette for now). What would be your best recommendation?

Feel free to suggest other components upgrade instead if you think it would be better. I mainly do XC, road/trail and a bit of downhill.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You derailleur should shift and get it to the lbs service tech if it doesn't. It's new.
    The most worthwhile rear derailleur is a Shadow Plus clutch type available in 10sp only. An XT rear shifter. But you need a chain cassette and crankset, so more than your budget.
    You could upgrade your fork to a Raidon from Nick at Suntour.
    Nobby Nic Performance tires are about 36 ea. for an inexpensive upgrade.

Moral derailleur
    Thanks eb1888!

Perhaps I didn't explained myself. Everything is working fine, that's why I'm looking into a small upgrade.

I've read that 10-speed derailleur would work on a 8-speed cassette, is this correct? Would this apply also to a 10-speed shifter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If your derailleur is new and works as it should it would be near or at the bottom of my list of components to upgrade. You likely won't be able to tell any difference and yes, drivetrain parts are connected so the chain has to match the cassette which has to match the derailleurs and then theres the cranks. If you want to spend some money that you will actually notice here's 3 places for you to consider. One, the pedals on your bike are worse than awful. You can find relatively good flats for $50 or so and awesome ones for $100. Your feet will thank you. Two, the tires that came on your bike are great for riding to the store or grandma's house. Not so much for trails. And they will wear out fast. You'll need new ones fairly soon anyway, so you may start thinking about what tires will work for the areas that you plan to ride. Three, if you put that $200 in your sock drawer and then add another $200 when you can save it you can buy a real front fork and your life will be changed forever. Huge difference. Or you can just leave it stock and have fun riding. Either way, enjoy.

Moral derailleur
    Thanks senorjax, great input.

I would have never thought that pedals could make a difference.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If it were me I'd upgrade my contact points. Handlebar, grips and saddle. Then tire and go tubeless.. Then wheels, and forks and thus begins the never ending cycle of upgrading..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raenk View Post
    ..snip..

I've read that 10-speed derailleur would work on a 8-speed cassette, is this correct? Would this apply also to a 10-speed shifter?
    No.........
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

MTB B'dos
    Don't understand why you'd buy a new bike and be looking to dump $200 into a new RD and shifters right away. Sounds to me like maybe you should have looked a bit longer and maybe spent that extra $200 plus a little more and got something with better components straight off.

As to your question, NO 10spd shifter will not work with a 8 speed cassette.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moral derailleur

Re: Suggestions for a small upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Don't understand why you'd buy a new bike and be looking to dump $200 into a new RD and shifters right away. Sounds to me like maybe you should have looked a bit longer and maybe spent that extra $200 plus a little more and got something with better components straight off.

As to your question, NO 10spd shifter will not work with a 8 speed cassette.
    I didn't have many options, I would had have spent $500+ more for the next best bike.

But no worries, this is why i'm asking for opinions and now i can see it is not a good idea to go that road right now (RD, shifters).

Thanks

MTB B'dos
    Problem is, shops won't tell you, but if you buy a bike with 8spds, there's no thought of upgrading to better spec 8spd parts, 8spd is the lowest these days and doubt you can find even Deore in it. IMHO, right now, better to save for something with 9spd so you at least have upgrade routes as all level of parts are still there for 9spd.

Best to sit tight, enjoy the bike, ride it into the ground and then if you think the frame worthy, upgrade the entire drivetrain when it wears out to 10spd.

I didn't have many options, I would had have spent $500+ more for the next best bike.

But no worries, this is why i'm asking for opinions and now i can see it is not a good idea to go that road right now (RD, shifters).

Thanks
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moral derailleur
    Problem is, shops won't tell you, but if you buy a bike with 8spds, there's no thought of upgrading to better spec 8spd parts, 8spd is the lowest these days and doubt you can find even Deore in it. IMHO, right now, better to save for something with 9spd so you at least have upgrade routes as all level of parts are still there for 9spd.

Best to sit tight, enjoy the bike, ride it into the ground and then if you think the frame worthy, upgrade the entire drivetrain when it wears out to 10spd.
    Yeah you're right, there are practically none 8-speed components now. Definitely going to wait until i change the entire drivetrain.

I'm going to look into tires, grips and pedals for now.

Thanks

MTB B'dos
    Those are all smart upgrades, well actually no they're not actually upgrades, they're just stuff you change/do to a new bike to make it fit your trails and terrain and your body. Also take a look at the saddle if it doesn't feel right, also another major contact point and VERY personal.
    .......I'm going to look into tires, grips and pedals for now.

Thanks
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If you are not going to go tubeless, get some ultralight tubes. For $15-20 you can sometimes save almost 1/2 lb. Best bang for the buck out there.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't be looking to upgrade components just for the sake of upgrading. At the lower level of things, there are a lot of "weak links" in the chain. I'd ride that bike into the ground over the next few years and only replace things as they break.

My suggestions, in no particular order:

Tires, as mentioned above, will make a huge difference
    Saddle
    Gloves
    Shoes
    Shorts
    Grips

All of these things can make riding much more enjoyable than shaving off a few hundred grams from one particular component.

Moral derailleur
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    If you are not going to go tubeless, get some ultralight tubes. For $15-20 you can sometimes save almost 1/2 lb. Best bang for the buck out there.
    Aside for weight reduction and cut periodic expenses (tubes), what advantages have tubeless tires? Do they last longer? are more resistant?

Quote Originally Posted by randob300 View Post
    I wouldn't be looking to upgrade components just for the sake of upgrading. At the lower level of things, there are a lot of "weak links" in the chain. I'd ride that bike into the ground over the next few years and only replace things as they break.

My suggestions, in no particular order:

Tires, as mentioned above, will make a huge difference
    Saddle
    Gloves
    Shoes
    Shorts
    Grips

All of these things can make riding much more enjoyable than shaving off a few hundred grams from one particular component.
    Thanks for the list of suggestions.

mtbr member
    I'd start with a good saddle. Handlebars and grips next. Definitely pedals somewhere in there.

mtbr member
    Comfort first - seat/bars/grips.

Once the stuff breaks, then go major overhaul for the drivetrain if you wish. You can usually find nice take off groupsets in the classifieds. I've seen some SLX, XT stuff pretty affordable. I was able to grab an XT rear D with SLX shifters for $100 for a build I did last year!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

MTB B'dos
    You can get brand new OEM SLX 10spd off Jenson right now for killer prices.
    Shimano SLX Sl-660-10 Shifter Set Oe > Components > Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Shimano SLX M663 Oe Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 SP. MTB Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    That's just under $150 US for the items listed above which would move you to 10spd except for the crankset, you can get that off Bluesky for $99.98 - https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...t_10_Speed.htm

[EDIT to add] Forgot, you'll also of course need a 10spd chain like this one , it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it, crappy chains can screw up your rings, cause chain suck, wear prematurely, that the top of the line Shimano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Comfort first - seat/bars/grips.

Once the stuff breaks, then go major overhaul for the drivetrain if you wish. You can usually find nice take off groupsets in the classifieds. I've seen some SLX, XT stuff pretty affordable. I was able to grab an XT rear D with SLX shifters for $100 for a build I did last year!
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moral derailleur
    Lynx, thanks a lot for your recommendations. One questions:

The crankset is a 2x10, will that work with the shifters you suggested even if they're made for a 3x10 drivetrain? (am I being naive?)

I'm also looking at this other crankset just in case the 2x10 doesn't work, what do you think?
    Shimano XT M780 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    With this BB
    Shimano XT M770 External Bearing BB Htii > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Since you didn't mentioned the front derailleur I assume the one I already have would be compatible, correct?

You can get brand new OEM SLX 10spd off Jenson right now for killer prices.
    Shimano SLX Sl-660-10 Shifter Set Oe > Components > Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Shimano SLX M663 Oe Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 SP. MTB Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    That's just under $150 US for the items listed above which would move you to 10spd except for the crankset, you can get that off Bluesky for $99.98 - https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...t_10_Speed.htm

[EDIT to add] Forgot, you'll also of course need a 10spd chain like this one , it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it, crappy chains can screw up your rings, cause chain suck, wear prematurely, that the top of the line Shimano.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For what its worth I changed out my stem and bars. Stock focus straight bar for a answer pro taper with 1" rise. Left it at 780mm for now. Also changed out the stock focus 100mm stem for a specialized that has some adjustable rise shims. Bike feels alot better to me now.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post
    If it were me I'd upgrade my contact points. Handlebar, grips and saddle. Then tire and go tubeless.. Then wheels, and forks and thus begins the never ending cycle of upgrading..
    This is perfect.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, the shifters would work with either 2x or 3x, you'd just have to make sure and set up the limit screws so the FD wouldn't over shift if you tried to use the 3rd shift. This being said, you might get a set of those shifters that has the option to limit it to a 2x shifter - I ordered one set for myself a bit back and recently another for a friend, I got the set with the 2x/3x option, his did not. That's a great crankset and the BB will work with it.

Yes, you would also most likely need a new FD as well Shimano XT M770-10 Oe Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Lynx, thanks a lot for your recommendations. One questions:
    The crankset is a 2x10, will that work with the shifters you suggested even if they're made for a 3x10 drivetrain? (am I being naive?)
    I'm also looking at this other crankset just in case the 2x10 doesn't work, what do you think?
    Shimano XT M780 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike ShopWith this BBShimano XT M770 External Bearing BB Htii > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Since you didn't mentioned the front derailleur I assume the one I already have would be compatible, correct?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moral derailleur
    Great! Thanks again.

One last wonder... Since I'll be moving from 8sp to 10sp cassette, is there any modifications needed for the wheel?

Yes, the shifters would work with either 2x or 3x, you'd just have to make sure and set up the limit screws so the FD wouldn't over shift if you tried to use the 3rd shift. This being said, you might get a set of those shifters that has the option to limit it to a 2x shifter - I ordered one set for myself a bit back and recently another for a friend, I got the set with the 2x/3x option, his did not. That's a great crankset and the BB will work with it.

Yes, you would also most likely need a new FD as well Shimano XT M770-10 Oe Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop