mtbr member

Suggestions of how to remove broken seat post from seat tube?

Hi, anyone able to suggest how I can remove a broken carbon seat post that has snapped off close to flush to the top of the frames's seat tube. With the seat post clamp removed there's a piece of the seat post protruding out around 2mm from the seat tube. Tried gripping it with a pair of vise grips but it's not budging.

20130921_163451
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: Suggestions of how to remove broken seat post from seat tube?

Just off the top of my head I'd probably find a wooden dowel that was about the right diameter, or turn one on a lathe, and glue it in there. Twist it out after it sets. Of course you'd want to use very little adhesive so it didn't drip down and permanently bugger your seat tube.

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: Suggestions of how to remove broken seat post from seat tube?

Another idea. Get a large rubber stopper, drill a hole in it, put a long bolt through it with a washer on both ends and a nut. Put it in and turn the nut to expand the plug, like the way some bar ends work. You could even attach a slide hammer to the bolt and yank it out if it was really stuck. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4 View Post
    Another idea. Get a large rubber stopper, drill a hole in it, put a long bolt through it with a washer on both ends and a nut. Put it in and turn the nut to expand the plug, like the way some bar ends work. You could even attach a slide hammer to the bolt and yank it out if it was really stuck. Good luck.
    Dowel with a screw is similar, may have to wrap it to get a snug fit. Then screw a screw into the dowel. It will cause the wood to expand and put pressure against the walls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Piece of threaded rod with a washer nutted on one end. The washer needs to be small enough to go down the seat post. Catch the bottom edge of the seat post with the washer and pull up.
    If you want to be fancy, then use a washer bigger than the seat post but smaller than the seat tube. Grind two opposing sides of the washer so it is oval. Leave it loose on the threaded rod with a nut on the bottom. You may need to ovalize the hole in the washer. Tip the washer so it will go down the seat post and then flatten it out at the bottom. It will engage the seat post and it can be pulled out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Slash wins prize of the most technically elegant solution.

mtbr member

All fixed....... thanks guys

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ended up using headset expansion plug which I had on hand and a cut piece of inner tube to get the right thickness required.
    Used the vice grips to hold onto the expansion plug top cap, screwdriver between the vice grip jaws and tapped it with a hammer. Once I found the right amount on tension to tighten the expansion cap screw so it wouldn't slip the broken piece of seat post came out easily with a few taps.

20130922_163713 20130922_163856

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This post has me second guessing the thought to start replacing components with Carbon. How did yours break?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    I was riding over a rooty section of track on a regular ride I do. My 266th time on that section in the 2 years I have had the bike. It's a light weight 400mm xc seat post @180g. Have used a heavier 227g 350mm carbon seat post but prefer the compliance this post gives. The seat post has been on the bike since May and done 3522km. Back in May doing pre maintenance check on the bike for a 8hr race noticed the seat post (same version) had worn areas showing through the clear coat around the seat clamp area by where the two slots on the seat tube are. That seat post had done about 7000km. I use carbon paste and am guessing it could be abrasive if there is slight movement between 2 parts.

20130923_134638 20130530_3584

mtbr member
    Light weight seat post are a crap shoot. You could do a lot of hard rides on them and never have an issue, then that one time you do something a little different it breaks. I had the same situation years ago and I will be dating myself here, with a Ringle' Moby post. I rode it in many races as well as training rides with no issues. I was in a race going through a rocky technical section when I leaned the wrong way snapping the post similar to yours. I could never get that post out and it also cost me 9 stitches on the back of my leg where I caught what was left in the frame. The remainder of that post is still in that frame till this day. I could not get it up, but managed to push it into the frame. Made for a nice trail notice sound when I came up on people..

From that day forward I went back to heavier seat post and never tried another light weight. Not worth it to me.