mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Strongest Bontrager 29" wheelset

I have a new Trek Procaliber 6 with the boost 148 rear and boost 110 front thru axle hubs running duster elite rims. I have only a few rides on them, but I am just back into riding and am a known wheel killer(no flow) and I just don't think these wheels will hold up. I am a Clydesdale and these are a little too much lightweight/race for me. Durability/strength over all else works best for me. I prefer to keep it in the family that is why I am asking for Bontrager wheels. Since I have been out of the loop for a few years I figure more people here know what is going to work for me over random internet searches.

So what are their strongest Bontrager 29er wheels with front and rear through axles for boost 110/148? I prefer strength over weight and center lock discs is what I have now, but it is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dt350 hubs with 36t ratchets will give you good longevity at a reasonable price. Wtb Asym i35 rims with Sapim Lasers pokes will build up light and strong. Sapim Race spokes if you're heavy. Nothing Bontrager will match up for the money. You can run XR2 Team 2.35 tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLBike View Post
    I have a new Trek Procaliber 6 with the boost 148 rear and boost 110 front thru axle hubs running duster elite rims. I have only a few rides on them, but I am just back into riding and am a known wheel killer(no flow) and I just don't think these wheels will hold up. I am a Clydesdale and these are a little too much lightweight/race for me. Durability/strength over all else works best for me. I prefer to keep it in the family that is why I am asking for Bontrager wheels. Since I have been out of the loop for a few years I figure more people here know what is going to work for me over random internet searches.

So what are their strongest Bontrager 29er wheels with front and rear through axles for boost 110/148? I prefer strength over weight and center lock discs is what I have now, but it is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance
    I'm biased - Alex in the video is a friend - but they are very good wheels.

Bontrager Line Pro Carbon wheelsets - Mtbr.com
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Chinese asymmetrical rims laced to D.T Swiss hubs.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Line pro 30's are strong.

I personally wouldn't go anything wider than a 30. I'd stay around the 26mm range and run a 2.35 front/rear tire or at least up to a 2.4 front tire.

I have owned a few sets of Duster wheels from Trek. and I can kill them pretty fast at only 190lbs
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I wouldn't overlook the Bontrager Line series. I was not a fan of the Duster Elite wheels but the Line series has been a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I look at rim width from the point of working with the limits of space a frame allows and getting the most performance out of that space. Your bike will take a 2.4" tire at the rear. 30mm works for XR1 Team 2.2" tires on my Superfly 9.8. That's the largest tire I can fit. 30mm supports the 120tpi sidewall so it can crinkle down some and create a bigger footprint in certain situations. The limit is rim hits not how low the pressure can go with the tire because foldover is gone. For your bike a 35mm inner rim will let you get the most out of a 2.35" 120tpi tire like the XR2 Team 2.35". You can go even wider for a front and maybe take advantage of new 2.5 and 2.6" tires coming to market. Trek has suggested new models for the fall.

My recommendations are all about getting the most out of your bike. Other guys have suggested skinnier rims which will work fine. Especially with tires from Maxxis or Schwalbe with less rounded profiles.

Carbon Fan will build and ship you carbon asym rim wheels on Dt350 Boost hubs for $773.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Maxxis did a tire write up for there new WT tires and explained the profile vs rim size

Rims under 29mm ID were best used with tires 2.4" and smaller
    Tires 2.5 and larger along with their WT tires were best used with 30mm to 36mm (if I recall correctly) ID rims

Use what works for the application not just what is the largest rim/tire you can fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have the older Line Elites (non-boost, 28mm inner width, 28 straight spokes, aluminum rims, 54t ratchet). I'm 200 lbs. with no gear and not the smoothest rider. Mine have been holding up really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks to all that replied. I have been looking at the Line wheels. I can not afford the carbon hoops though. I am looking more into the Line elite Boost as my price range. Now all I need to do is hope that my Dusters hold up until they get the Lines back in stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks to all that replied. I have been looking at the Line wheels. I can not afford the carbon hoops though. I am looking more into the Line elite Boost as my price range. Now all I need to do is hope that my Dusters hold up until they get the Lines back in stock.
    There's some (new, take off) Line Comps on eBay right now for $300 with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the heads up. But it looks like they are not front and rear boost.
    Last edited by FTLBike; 08-22-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add more info

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Chinese asymmetrical rims laced to D.T Swiss hubs.
    I have had a bad experience with DT Swiss hubs. I will never use them again. I will however use DT Swiss spokes whenever I can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have had a bad experience with DT Swiss hubs. I will never use them again. I will however use DT Swiss spokes whenever I can.
    Which hub and what problem?