mtbr member

Stripped Bolt on headset! Whats the best course of action?

What do I do to get this bolt out?

AZ
    banned
    Stem? Good pics?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post

How the heck did you manage to strip a headset bolt? You mean the top cap bolt? That thing should be like... finger tight. It's only there to set the bearing preload until you tighten your stem down. One you tighten the stem down, you don't even need it. On my weight weenie bike, I used a compression star nut, set the headset preload, and took the whole thing out, leaving a hollow tube from the stem to the tire.

If you stripped it out, you should remove the star nut in the fork and replace it. It's like a $2 part, but it is a bear to get out of the steerer tube. You have to use a saw or a dremel to cut it, or you can bash it down through the bottom of the fork. Problem with that method is that most good straight steerer tube forks have internal butting, so the tube wall is thicker at the bottom. If you have a tapered steerer tube it will just fall out where the tube flares. If you're super lucky, it is close enough to the top of the steerer tube where you can grab it with a pair of good needle nose pliers and bend the sides up and pull it out.

part two: Why is this a 29er forum question? Is this a 29er specific threadless headset?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

My headsets do not have any bolts.
    The top cap does. The stem does...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    My headsets do not have any bolts.
    The top cap does. The stem does...
    It's actually the one of the 2 other bolts on the stem (not the top bolt).
    Sorry for the lack of information. I really didnt think it mattered where the bolt itself is located on the bike.
    Im not sure how I managed this one.

Story was I bit some dirt and my handlebars where off center after cleaning myself up. Butsted out the allen wrench's and couldnt loosen the one bolt because it was stripped on the inside where the allen meets the hex shape.
    Left it that way for the rest of the ride and now its driving me insane.

Should I drill it out? maybe heat it up and then wrap a t-shirt over the allen wrench and hope it loosen up then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

part two: Why is this a 29er forum question? Is this a 29er specific threadless headset?
    I trust the 29er forum more than the rest of the site. Could be wrong but I suppose its intuition.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It's actually the one of the 2 other bolts on the stem (not the top bolt).
    Sorry for the lack of information. I really didnt think it mattered where the bolt itself is located on the bike.
    Im not sure how I managed this one.

Story was I bit some dirt and my handlebars where off center after cleaning myself up. Butsted out the allen wrench's and couldnt loosen the one bolt because it was stripped on the inside where the allen meets the hex shape.
    Left it that way for the rest of the ride and now its driving me insane.

Should I drill it out? maybe heat it up and then wrap a t-shirt over the allen wrench and hope it loosen up then?
    Let me guess, it is a Truvative stem.
    They have used Torx head bolts instead of hex (Allen) on some models. A 5mm Allen wrench fits just well enough to strip the head. You may still be able to use a torx on it.
    Otherwise, drill off the bolt head. Replace the stem if you can not get the bolt out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If I'm reading this correctly, the threaded portion of the bolt which is what typically comes to mind whenever "stripped bolt" is mentioned, is fine, or assumed to be fine at this point. What is actually the problem is the allen wrench interface with the hex portion of the bolt. This is much better than an actual "stripped threads" situation. You likely need to sacrifice the bolt at this point (which is probably damaged beyond repair anyway), and forcefully utilize a screw extractor device (a tapered tool bit with reverse threads of extremely low thread pitch) which can be inserted into the hex portion of the bolt, then counter-clockwise rotation is applied, causing the extractor to dig deeper into the bolt until it bites enough to turn the bolt. You may have to drill the hex of the bolt out deeper for this to be successful. This type of extractor should be available at your local auto parts store.

Obviously, I'm assuming because of the inset of the stem you cannot simply grab the outside of the bolt with a pair of vise-grips to loosen it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

If its one of the two bolts clamping the stem to the fork, you can remove the remaining bolt, lube it with grease or anti seize and reinstall it fairly tight. Doing this can help lesson the strain on the stripped bolt allowing it to turn easier. Just don't get too carried away when tightening it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    You likely need to sacrifice the bolt at this point (which is probably damaged beyond repair anyway), and forcefully utilize a screw extractor device (a tapered tool bit with reverse threads of extremely low thread pitch) which can be inserted into the hex portion of the bolt, then counter-clockwise rotation is applied, causing the extractor to dig deeper into the bolt until it bites enough to turn the bolt. You may have to drill the hex of the bolt out deeper for this to be successful.
    I would go for this EZ-out method.

When I use the screw extractors on small allen type bolts, the head usually pops off by the time you get enough of the screw head drilled out to get the extractor to grab.

I would not try heat or over-torquing the remaining bolt. Both those methods could damage the stem, fork, or other parts.

I would also replace the remaining bolt with a new one too. That way both bolts are the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I trust the 29er forum more than the rest of the site. Could be wrong but I suppose its intuition.
    just imagine how uneducated MTBR was before there were 29ers!
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser