mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Stock Stumpjumper wheelset as upgrade (Roval Controls)

I am looking to upgrade the wheel set on my 2012 Rockhopper 29er. My goal is to shed some weight and go tubeless. A sealed cartridge bearing is also high on my wish list. I came across someone selling a used set of Roval Control wheels - the set that comes stock on a 2012 or 2013 Stumpjumper HT. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade for $220 or should I not waste my money? The other option would be to eventually get a set of Stans/Hope for ~$550. Are the Stans/Hope worth the extra $300+?

Background:
    I ride mostly XC and some of the "beginner" trails at the local bike parks (Southeast PA). I weigh about 170-175, so I don't think weight limit should be a concern for this wheel set.

Thanks for you help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    If this is the wheel, it has Dt 350 star ratchets and weighs 1680g with 21mm inside dimension.
    The 36T ratchets are about $75 to complete the upgrade. I like these for good engagement.
    I would get some extra spokes of the sizes used with some nipples.
    Check bearing condition, trueness/spoke tension and rim edge condition.
    I would choose these over Hope/ArchEx(same 21mm inside) because of the rear hub and price.,
    Ask him to pop the freehub off, it is tooless serviceable but sometimes takes the large part of the cassette installed to use as a prybar. See the grease he has used, Dt is pink. Ask for extra to be included in the sale. The rear hub makes a light buzz when coasting. When you start to hear it loader it's time to pop the freehub, clean the grease off and grease with fresh Dt pink grease. Campy white is also acceptable and what I use. You can put the 18T ratchets back in for sub-zero riding.

If they have the Specialized Hi/Lo hubs(junk) I'd pass.

Crash Dummy In Training
    My 2012 Came with Specialized Hi Lo...... the rear hub is junk if I were you I would go with some Stan's with Hope hub's.
    Now if the Roval's have DT Swiss 350's then I would go for it but I don't think they would be DT's from a stock 2012 or 2013 SJ Comp HT.
    If you go with Stan's with Hope 40 Points of engagement hubs they are $442.66 much better than the stock wheel set that came on my SJ.
    Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Flow Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    And they come with different color hubs and XX1 option if you want.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    ehhh. id say save your money for the good deal.. I upgraded my wheelset to a Stans Flow wheelsset, paid about 300 bucks and I love it. I also got to fork for around the same price. between the fork, wheelset, and tubeless tires I shaved off 5 lbs off the bikes weight!
    Stock Stumpjumper wheelset as upgrade (Roval Controls)-wheelset.jpg
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    I recently replaced the rovals from stumpy fsr comp with stans flows and hope 40t hubs. Didn't save much weight, but they made a huge difference in how the bike rides. Cost wise, it's your call. It was worth it for me. I never had a problem with the hi-lo hubs, but they are well documented issues with them. If the budget can't stand a full set, nothing wrong with getting them one at a time.

mtbr member
    Those are likely not the aftermarket "nice" Rovals..these are Roval rims with cheaper hubs/spokes etc. - this depends on what Stumpy HT they came off of...if they are the Comp or Carbon Comp, they are the cheaper ones. They weigh over 2000g. for the set. They set up tubeless no problem. I sold my OEM set for $150...$220 seems a bit high. Nice wheels and better than what is on your bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm trying to upgrade my 2012 Stumpjumper comp 29er, but I cant' find out for sure what rear hub I need. 12 x 142 or 10 x 135, I measured it as best I could and it seems longer than 142mm, but the width is 10mm..... SO WTF?

mtbr member

Re: Stock Stumpjumper wheelset as upgrade (Roval Controls)

Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I'm trying to upgrade my 2012 Stumpjumper comp 29er, but I cant' find out for sure what rear hub I need. 12 x 142 or 10 x 135, I measured it as best I could and it seems longer than 142mm, but the width is 10mm..... SO WTF?
    Which specific model do you have? Just look on Specy's site and see.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Stock Stumpjumper wheelset as upgrade (Roval Controls)

^^^Assuming you mean the Comp HT, they are 135s...if you are talking about the FSR, not sure there...I always assume if someone doesn't put "FSR" then it means HT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TiGeo; 01-03-2014 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, that's correct HT. Ordered 135's.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Depends on the rear hub. The 2012 wheels came with a Joytech rear hub ("Hi/Lo") which is junk. I blew up two of them in a year.

Fortunately Spec and my LBS have been great about warranty service, and the latest rear wheel has a DT Swiss rear hub. As a bonus, it's much quieter than the Joytech.

Apparently the 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comps still have the Hi-Lo hub, so I think my LBS did me a favor and got me an upgrade.

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by Gose View Post
    I came across someone selling a used set of Roval Control wheels - the set that comes stock on a 2012 or 2013 Stumpjumper HT. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade for $220 or should I not waste my money? ... I weigh about 170-175, so I don't think weight limit should be a concern for this wheel set.
    I would save your money -- as others have mentioned, the 2013 HT Stumpjumpers came with the "Specialized Hi Lo disc, double-sealed cartridge bearing" hubs. You can read about the problems in other forums. I have seen some postings with some tips that can reduce the occurrence of the problems, and since I have read it on the internet, I know that it is true and accurate... ;-) For a much lower price and with the recommended maintenance, you could end up with wheels with sealed bearing hubs...

I have 2013 StumpJumper FSR -- initially I thought I might have the "Roval Control Trail 29" wheels (not as nice as the ones listed above but they have DT350 internals), as the alloy rims have "Control Trail 29" stenciled on the side. I will add that while the 2012 SJ FSR had Hi-Lo hubs, the 2013 SJ FSR rear hubs were replaced with "New Specialized disc, 4x-sealed cartridge bearing" hubs.

If you look around some, you should be able to find better options. Locally (NC), I was able to pick-up a set of DT wheels (XR400 rims & DT350 hubs) for around $300. Great wheelset for the price, especially for someone in your weight range. You might be able to find a similar set as they came stock on one of the Yeti MTB's (SB95??) -- while they are good wheels, the rims are not that robust for someone over 200 lbs. I plan to put a different set of tires on mine and use them on local cross country trails / greenways after it rains.