mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Stiffer Fork Recommendation?

I currently have a 2012 Fox Talas 120 32 on my Mach 429 but I'm looking for a stiffer fork that flexes less. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I rarely use the adjustable travel on the fork I have and want to stick with close to 120mm of travel. The only two options that seem to come to mind are using a Fox 34 140 Talas (would run it most of the time at 110) or the new dual position pike (would run it most of the time at 120). However, I'm concerned that running with the travel reduced might lead to poor performance on the damping characteristics of the fork. Anyone have experience with either of those two forks at the reduced travel settings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeM View Post
    I currently have a 2012 Fox Talas 120 32 on my Mach 429 but I'm looking for a stiffer fork that flexes less. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I rarely use the adjustable travel on the fork I have and want to stick with close to 120mm of travel. The only two options that seem to come to mind are using a Fox 34 140 Talas (would run it most of the time at 110) or the new dual position pike (would run it most of the time at 120). However, I'm concerned that running with the travel reduced might lead to poor performance on the damping characteristics of the fork. Anyone have experience with either of those two forks at the reduced travel settings?
    I would not get either Fox or RS Pike in the "Talas or duel position" at all.( to me they do not work correctly at either travel and always lead to failures of the system)
    I would get Fox or Pike in straight travel form , I have the Fox 34 and it came at 120 , I have now raised the travel to 145 and love it for everything .

You can make either fork whatever travel you want and or need them to be, and they both are way stiffer than the little 32 could ever be .

The RS can be 48 or 51 mm offset and the Fox only comes as a 51 mm offset , for me I really prefer the 51 mm offset for the 29ers .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not sure if the Solo Air Pike comes in less than 140. However, the Fox Float 34 can be reduced to 120 mm. I am fine with 140 (though the Pike is 10 mm lower at 140 than the Fox 34) so I am getting the Pike. It cannot be adjusted internally so go with the Fox 34 and reduce it to 120. It may still be 10 mm taller than your 32 at 120. Hopefully that will not be a problem for you.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Stiffer Fork Recommendation?

I feel a Lefty is stiffer than a Fox 32. That's what I run. The 34 is stiffer than the Lefty. My statements are purely subjective. I'm thinking of a mythical Xfusion Trace which seems to have a shorter AC than the 34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ballbuster
    Second that. Look into a Lefty. A Lefty Max series fork reduced to 110mm of travel for 29er use safely, and very possibly more depending on the tire you run. I'm running a WeirWolf LT 2.55 up front and there is clearance for 120mm of travel.

The downside is, you have to have a bike with a 4" headtube... kinda short, or find the super rare Lefty for XL frames with taller clamps. You also have to build up a Lefty front wheel. I bought one of those cheapo Circus Monkey Lefty hubs, and it's been great. No issues, and just as light as the C'Dale factory hub, but half the price. It comes with a Lefty bolt and hub end cap. You'll also need one of those $20 truing adapters so you can build the wheel in a truing stand.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What about the X-Fusion Trace? X Fusion Shox - RL2

34mm stanchions, good reviews. I have no personal experience, just wanted to put another one out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Appreciate everyones feedback on this. Hadn't really thought about taking a fork and reducing the travel of it. How is this different than what the talas does? Is it just that the talas has more complexity where things can go wrong or is there a difference in performance?

At 6'7" I'm on a XL frame with a 6" head tube. I looked at the lefty max and it looks like those still seem to be getting a pretty decent premium, at that price I think I'd prefer to go to a fox 34 or Pike but appreciate the suggestion.

Looking at the fox 34 and reducing it to 120mm it would increase my axle to crown about 10 mm, probably not a big deal since my head tube angle would go from about 69.9 to about 69.4.

On the other hand, if I took a 140mm Pike that would increase my axle to crown about 30 mm and probably bring the head tube angle to about 68.4. I could deal with where that would put the handlebars but I'm concerned about what that would do to the handling and overall geometry of the bike. Any thoughts on that?

On a side note, mach 429 head tube angles vary per frame size, didn't realize that before. With 120mm fork small=69, Medium=69.2, Large=69.6 and XL=69.9. Makes me less concerned about the head tube angle change.

I'll have to look into the trace a bit more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeM View Post

Everything flexes less than a Fox 32. They just went too lightweight.