mtbr member

Stiff 29er fork for AM

I currently have a Tower Pro 120, which I like very much for XC and trail riding.

But for real all-mountain riding I feel its limits, as far as stiffness is concerned.

First, it flexes pretty much when braking hard. Moreover, when riding down large steps at controlled speed, it shakes quite annoyingly, and the vibrations are also transmitted to the frame, and sometimes I feel the rear-end shaking as well.

No surprise, since Manitou now markets the Tower for XC use. But what 29er fork is out there that might seriously stiffen my frontend?

I've seen the Fox 34's and the new Pike, but they have 140 mm of travel. Will the burlier 34-35 mm stanchions be enough for such longer forks? I don't want to end up with a fork similar to my current one, as far as stiffness is concerned--I want something much more stiff! And to me 120 mm are enough, considering the big wheels and that my bike is a hard tail.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    A Fox 34 can be lowered to 120mm travel IIRC.

Also, Manitou has something new in the pipeline that due to be released at Eurobike and Interbike.

Good reviews all over on the 34mm stanchion X-Fusion Trace.

The Mountain Bike Life: X-Fusion Trace RL2 - Product Preview

mtbr member
    Would I feel the difference from my Tower? Would the purchase be justified?

Is stiffness of Fox 34's and X-Fusion Trace's similar?

change is good
    Sep 2004

Stiff 29er fork for AM

I haven't tried the Manitou but the 34 is noticeably stiffer than the thru axle 32 Fox and thru axle Rock Shox. It's even stiffer than my Lefty. And I'm a Clyde. I not clear that the 34 can be lowered to 120. Can it be done at the factory? The AC is higher on the 34. The AC on the Trace seems to be lower plus it can be internally adjusted. The travel on the Pike can't be adjusted.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Stiff 29er fork for AM

Then there's the SuperMax at 130 with 60 or 61mm of rake. Mmmm... Pivot 429 carbon with a SuperMax and ENVE wheels.

mtbr member
    SuperMax would be perfect, but is waaaay too expensive! :-(

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In the few rides that I have taken them on so far I gotta say I am impressed. After setting them up they have been performing flawlessly, I can't wait to see how they last over the summer. There were a few things I was worried about with the Trace's, first off was the 15mm axle not being stiff enough for my weight and riding style, but so far I have not noticed any extra flex over my old 29" front end with a 20mm axle.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Any competent bike shop can throw a travel spacer in a Fox 34. A semi competent tinker could do it themselves too. It's simple.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Stiff 29er fork for AM

I contacted Fox and I was told that the '12 can be changed to 130mm and the '13 forks can not be changed. Hmmm

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    That might be true. Mine is a '12 and they took a spacer OUT to pop it up to 140mm. Mine is not a CTD so the new forks must be a lot different internally.

mtbr member
    Are you sure your fork is working properly? If its shaking annoyingly going down large steps, it seems like something is not working properly. Mine doesn't do that.

But, hey, I think I am kind of in the same boat as you because I am looking around to see if there is a better 120mm fork out there than the Tower, which I think has been pretty darn good. I actually have the one with the 20mm thru, with the clamping bolts that everyone complained about, but I think its a great system. Talk about bomber...I mean, how many times do I ever take the front wheel off my bike?

mtbr member
    The strange thing is it doesn't happen always. Only in some circumstances, when some specific conditions (which I don't know exactly) are met. It might well be some sort of resonance between fork and frame. Difficult to say actually.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Call around to a Yeti dealer as the 29'r Fox 34 CTD spec'd on the SB95 is a 120mm fork. They might even have a demo bike you can try it out on. However, there may be a 34 CTD 120mm take-off available for sale at a Yeti dealer.

Trips for Kids Denver
    +1

I saved about 50% on my Fox 34 as a take off
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ride an SB95 and the 2012 Fox 34 (non CTD) is amazingly stiff - best fork I've ever ridden and I get full travel (o-ring goes all the way to the stanchion tube sometimes). Even cornering control on tight singletrack is improved due to the absence of flex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Trace Uni-Crown would be your stiffest option. 1/4 lbs lighter than the Fox as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stiff 29er fork for AM-1012425_600929606605853_554465880_n.jpg