mtbr member

Sticky gunk on fork uppers

Fork is a 2012 Fox Float 29. The past few rides I've noticed some sticky gunk on the fork uppers. This isn't affecting performance and fork is holding air. I'll wipe the gunk off and there's no visible cracks or splits in the dust seals, sliders are nice and smooth. Odd thing is this is happening on both sides of fork. From what I can recall this started after I washed the bike, though it wasn't any abnormal wash, was just soap and water with a sponge, low pressure drizzling from hose, same way I've washed every other bike including this one. So, that may or may not be related. But, from what I can tell by path of gunk, it looks as though the dust seals are getting stuck on the fork sliders. I've had the fork for about 10 months now. Since I'm full into riding season I'm trying to avoid taking to shop as they'll have it for a week. Any ideas?

mtbr member

Upper foam rings are dry. Try turning your bike upside down to 15 minutes or so before your ride. Your fork is also due to have its lower oil changed. Newer fox forks are notorious for this.
    Never had dry stanchion with my rockshox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Same thing mine was doing after only 5 months. Time for some seals and fresh fluid. We'll see how long it takes for them to do it again but if it's 5 months again, I'm putting on a Rock Shox!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! Yea I was hoping it wasn't that but pretty sure it was. Guess I'll get a rebuild kit and get to work!

mtbr member

I have replaced my fluid twice on my lower using the same seals and foam rings. Just clean everything and ring out the dirty oil from the foam rings and soak them in fresh shock oil.

ballbuster
    I would be surprised if the seals were actually worn after only 5 months.

I'll bet you ride somewhere dusty, and/or you use some kind of light spray lubricant on your uppers (WD40, Triflow, etc). Just dry rag it off (with no lube) when you're done riding. Putting spray lube like TriFlow or any other light lube just collects more dust, but it mixes with it and makes a fine paste that gets under stuff. There really is no need for it anyway, since the bushings (the part that gets the actual load and friction) are inside the fork in the oil bath. Turn the fork upside down once in a while to get fresh oil up there.

Also, I suggest just taking the fork apart and cleaning the gunk out under your wiper seal lip. When I had a Reba it did this all the time, especially when I rode at a place with super fine powder moon dust kinda dirt. Just separate the uppers from the lowers, wipe out the insides of the seals with a clean rag and and put it back together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Fox FIT forks don't have a lot of lubricating oil, and there was an issue with 2011-2012 models where the oil bath would 'migrate' to the air spring. I had this issue and could run the fork dry in a month of riding. It's a relatively easy fix, and something you need to do as running the fork dry can damage stanctions and bushings. Fox recommends a 30hr maintenance interval for these forks. I always thought it was a BS thing to prevent warranty claims, but it seems to be about right for the current FIT forks. The maintenance is not hard, but it is a PIA to have to do it so often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    The Fox FIT forks don't have a lot of lubricating oil, and there was an issue with 2011-2012 models where the oil bath would 'migrate' to the air spring. I had this issue and could run the fork dry in a month of riding. It's a relatively easy fix, and something you need to do as running the fork dry can damage stanctions and bushings. Fox recommends a 30hr maintenance interval for these forks. I always thought it was a BS thing to prevent warranty claims, but it seems to be about right for the current FIT forks. The maintenance is not hard, but it is a PIA to have to do it so often.
    +1, this is correct. If you ride it like it is there is a good chance you will ruin the uppers and that is not a cheap fix.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick replies all. I researched the minor fork rebuild (fork seals and oil) and it's not nearly as involved as I had thought. I ended up ordering some oil and seal kits for the fork and shock. Gonna squeeze in a few more rides this week and hit them up this coming weekend.
    Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 07-01-2013 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    FWIW, I just installed a RS Pike. When it came, it was wrapped with sticky bubble wrap. The pressure sensitive adhesive transfers to the surfaces and I had to use Goo-Gone to get it off. Probably mineral spirits would have done it too, but the point is you have to get it off or it will transfer into the seals and gum up the works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    is there a good set of instructions on how to do this maintenance as I havent taken one of these apart before.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by blazinb View Post
    is there a good set of instructions on how to do this maintenance as I havent taken one of these apart before.
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/technical...vice-2010.html

mtbr member
    Already changing the fluid again. Was starting to get the dry legs, but nothing as bad as I first got, in the pictures. Poured the old oil out and it was even dirtier than the first change, but more of it.

Seems 6-9 months is the regular interval for these things...

mtbr member

Also remember to flip bike over for a few minutes before you ride. That will help the foam rings soak up some oil before the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk