Stems!!!!!

Printable View

• 04-08-2012
    cocean
    Stems!!!!!
    Looking at a Truvativ Stylo for an upgrade....what have you upgraded to?
  • 04-08-2012
    Dry Side
    Thomson Elite X4
  • 04-08-2012
    QuickSilverZ
    Raceface Turbine
  • 04-08-2012
    cocean
    Those are the other 2 i'm looking at
  • 04-08-2012
    2002maniac
    I have a Ritchey WCS 4-axis that is nice and light. Not too expensive either.
  • 04-08-2012
    DrDon
    Answer AM Rove. Stiffer than the Thomson.
  • 04-08-2012
    JoshM
    Thomson here too, it does a great job of holding my handlebar to the rest of my bike.
  • 04-08-2012
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cocean View Post
    Looking at a Truvativ Stylo for an upgrade....what have you upgraded to?

As long as it is a half decent 4-bolt face plate design, I have noticed little difference between stems other than weight. I went from a Thomson to a $14 Nashbar stem (wanted to try a different length) and I could not tell a bit of difference.
  • 04-08-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    As long as it is a half decent 4-bolt face plate design, I have noticed little difference between stems other than weight. I went from a Thomson to a $14 Nashbar stem (wanted to try a different length) and I could not tell a bit of difference.

yup. I agree, got a Easton EA 70 over a Thompson as it was like 1/2 the price and actually lighter :rolleyes:
  • 04-08-2012
    DFYFZX
    Ritchey C260
  • 04-08-2012
    R900
    Thomson! You can go cheap on stems, but Thomson makes wonderful stems in the USA!
  • 04-08-2012
    trodaq
    + 1 on the Thomson x4. Have them on three bikes. Always buy used for relatively short money
  • 04-08-2012
    Guy.Ford
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Answer AM Rove. Stiffer than the Thomson.

Bold statement. Do you have actual proof or is this just your personal opinion? Thomson has video proof on their site as to how strong and stiff their stems are, so I would be most anxious to see any proof regarding the Answer stem.

I have an FSA SL-K Black 90mm x 6* on my bike currently.
  • 04-08-2012
    kalak
    ritchey wcs c260 stem.
  • 04-08-2012
    frdfandc
    Ritchey WCS Axis in Wet Black
  • 04-08-2012
    FireSpitter
    I've been having different stems (Both heavy & light ones) and none of them make any difference. The only thing important is their length. Currently on KCNC Flyride. Cheap & light.
  • 04-08-2012
    highdelll
    Nothing says 29er Components like 'STEMS!!!!!' :thumbsup:
  • 04-08-2012
    Perfect Gentleman
    Syntace F109
  • 04-08-2012
    pelotoner
    Ritchey WCS 4-axis.
  • 04-08-2012
    eurospek
    Thomson X4, but make sure it's 29er compatible.
  • 04-09-2012
    NYrr496
    Loaded Components. I was a sucker for the green ano.
  • 04-09-2012
    FarNRTHFatty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    nothing says 29er components like 'stems!!!!!' :thumbsup:

bad@ss!
  • 04-09-2012
    appleSSeed
    +1 on the made in the USA comment.

The reason why all my bikes wear Chris King and Thomson components.

edit: that's not a jab towards anyone and I'm not against global commerce, I just support when and where I can afford too and especially if the quality is equal or above other components in the same class.
  • 04-09-2012
    eurospek
    But the best part about Thomson bits is I rarely lose more than $5 selling them used online on here, ebay or Pinkbike. It's the only bike part brand that truly holds its value over time.
  • 04-09-2012
    BigwheelsRbest
    4 Attachment(s)
    Bada$$ Bonty carbon xXx
    Picked up this bad boy on eBay for my FleaBay 29er project - I think it might just be my favourite bit :D
    I don't think they make the CF one for mountain bikes anymore - I wonder why not...
  • 04-09-2012
    michael573114
    Bontrager Race X Lite on both the Leviathan and my road bike. Cheap on ebay :)
  • 04-09-2012
    the mayor
    This thread !!!!!!! on stems!!!!!!! cured my insomnia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04-09-2012
    mucky
    Ibis stem
    As light as anything, as strong as anything, and a great price. I would assume U.S. made.
  • 04-09-2012
    peddler931
    Cannondale Integrated
    Very clean, like the latest time-trial bikes. Would not want to change my mind about the length or rise though.
  • 04-09-2012
    g3rG
    The Answer -ONE stem is a work of art.

The ODI flight control direct mount is a close second.

The Receface Atlas DM was a big disappointment.

Of course if you are not running a Dorado 29er fork, well, sorry.

gerG
  • 04-09-2012
    Once Bitten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

And how would a guy know this? I'm looking at X4 stems for my Scale 29er. Any certain Thomson stems that aren't 29er compatible?
  • 04-09-2012
    mikemax99
    here x4 also and straitline dm on my dh rig
  • 04-09-2012
    highdelll
    I still can't fathom why this thread exists here ... or more importantly why the 29er BS forums exist - it's a fukkin stem.

*NOTE* No hate on 29ers - but it's just a MTB - nuthin special about a wheel being ~3" bigger in diameter.

I propose a riser-bar forum :rolleyes:.
  • 04-09-2012
    2002maniac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerfrater1 View Post
    I don't think they make the CF one for mountain bikes anymore - I wonder why not...

Because it's heavier than many aluminum stems?
  • 04-09-2012
    trucco
    Could some comment on the Easton EC90 SL?

• 04-09-2012
    eurospek
    Quote:

I propose a riser-bar forum :rolleyes:.

But only with a flat-bar subforum.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    And how would a guy know this? I'm looking at X4 stems for my Scale 29er. Any certain Thomson stems that aren't 29er compatible?

• 04-09-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

he's super cereal you guys
  • 04-09-2012
    bt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post

it is stamped on the stem shaft but very hard to see.

use good reading glasses or some type of magnifier.
  • 04-09-2012
    BigwheelsRbest
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    Because it's heavier than many aluminum stems?

But it looks sooo cool :cool:
  • 04-10-2012
    Juanmoretime
    Easton EA90 is what my bike sports. I like the wide front clamp for carbon bars and while I love stupid light its not and plenty strong enough for whatever myself or the trail throws at it. With titanium bolts its a 130 grams.
  • 04-10-2012
    ozzybmx
    1 Attachment(s)
    KCNC Fly Ride stems, the stronger Alu version of their Scandium wing. Only weigh 15-20g more and 1/3 of the price of the SC Wing or Thomson.

For example the 90mm weighs in at 120g. I dont buy anything else now.
  • 04-10-2012
    gatorjon
    Went thomson and will never go back.
  • 04-10-2012
    kapusta
    Quote:

I still can't fathom why this thread exists here ... or more importantly why the 29er BS forums exist - it's a fukkin stem.

Because otherwise the board would be nothing but wheels, tires, and forks (maybe a gearing question). Oh, wait, that's exactly what it should be:idea:
  • 04-10-2012
    Once Bitten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bt View Post
    it is stamped on the stem shaft but very hard to see.

use good reading glasses or some type of magnifier.

I found it. Thanks! Unfortunately I have a 26in model :(. Anyone want to take it off my hands?? No way I'm putting this on my 29er...
  • 04-10-2012
    herencia
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ritchey WCS 4 axis...only 100gr with titanium bolts...
  • 04-10-2012
    Miker J
    Agree...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

High priced stems have got to be the most over-engineered piece of mtb equipment. I have a few super cheap stems that work perfectly. That said, I still love the Thompson 4X.
  • 04-10-2012
    whybotherme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perfect gentleman View Post
    syntace f109

this
  • 04-10-2012
    BacDoc
    Another bump for Loaded - cool colors, super light and the chicks dig it!:thumbsup:

29 compatible version of course!
  • 04-10-2012
    appleSSeed
    To me, if not Thomson than any F99 knock-off. They sell the ones like that on Jenson and Universal for real cheap.
  • 08-07-2012
    tcc13
    Bringing this thread back....Recently got fitted to my bike and the tech said that my stem is a bit too long (100mm) and recommends either 80-90mm to give a slight bend in my arms.

I'm looking at either the Thompson X4 or FSA SL-K. Other than price, is there much difference between the two (durability, fit/finish, etc)? I currently have a CB Iodine 2 stem with CB Colbalt 11 bars.

tia