Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stem weight savings?

5K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  mnyquist 
#1 ·
I have a new 2013 Stumpy FSR COMP 29er. Was curious about weight savings of a stem if I decided to upgrade mine since I just got some carbon handlebars too.
I know the weight savings is probably minimal but does anyone know what the potential savings would be going from the stock "XC Trail" stem I have on my bike?
If I could save 100 grams or more w/o sacrificing strength it might be worth it (got a gift card for X-mas, my bike is almost totally maxed out on upgrades but seeing what else I can do!)

Any experts opinions out there?

#2 ·
My non-expert opinion, is you are probably looking at about 180 gm for the XC trail stem.
You probably won't see much of a weight difference with a Thomson.
A Syntace or a Ritchey you can see weights around 110 gm.

If your bike is already blinged out, then why not. The stem doesn't do much for me. If you don't have a dropper post, I'd say spring for one of those and add weight to the bike.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I just ordered an Easton Haven bar that weighs 70 grams less than my stock bar, just figured if I am gonna put on a new bar maybe I should do the stem too since I got a gift card for X-mas. Might be worth if it I can find a decent deal.

#4 ·
IMO the stem is the last place I'd look to save weight......get something that will fit and will handle the stuff you ride., weight comes in last on that part. Get some light weight grips if you don't have them already. There is about 90-110 grams there can be shed

#7 ·
I found that going with a better made stem gets you a little weight savings, but the best thing is the stiffness. I upgraded to a Thomson X4 stem and there was a noticeable difference on the first ride. BTW, I am using a Niner flat top carbon bar at 710mm. In short, you will get a minor weight savings, but the performance increase is really where it is worth the upgrade to me.

#8 ·
why not a Haven stem to match those bars? I just picked up the Havoc DH low rise bar and Havac 50mm stem. Not weight wennie parts lol but wider, comfy and the stubby stem was just right for my rumblefish. Has great control on the decent and through the rock gardens. On the flip side the only draw back is climbs of 20+% I can feel I don't have enough weight forward and have to lower my chin some.

#9 ·
I might get a Haven stem actually. We will see what my LBS has. Yeah, I realize weight savings with stems are not much. However, if I am gonna upgrade parts, weight will be a factor too. I got my new aluminum Stumpy weighing what the carbon model weighs with my upgrades. Gonna be my bike for the next 4-5 seasons so I am trying pimp it out as much as possible. =)

#16 ·
I have the Syntace as well. Seems like everyone loves Syntace products, i wish they were easier to find in stores.
Anyway, another option you may want to check out is Kalloy UNO. They're very light and very cheap. The jury is still out if they're strong.

#19 ·
I know that but a lot of Canadian stores don't want to order them. I have 6 local stores and only one said they could/would order Syntace parts. None of them have anything from Syntace in store.

I bought my stem online and I'll do the same thing for the Hiflex seatpost. I'd also like to get the Syntace wheels but I don't know if they actually exist.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.