mtbr member

Stem upgrade suggestions

Have a 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er. It has a 110 stem, and I'm looking to upgrade to shorter one. Any suggestions on size/brand etc. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know if there is any way to "demo" a stem on your bike unless you've got an exceptionally cool LBS (they exist!) or a cooperative friend with a large stash of spare parts, but you're really going to have to try the stem on your bike to know which one's right for you.

I can tell you this; I changed to a 50mm Thomson stem from the stock 75mm one that came on my Stumpy Comp FSR 29er, and it might be the best thing I've ever done for the bike. It's easier to get the front end up and over stuff, it does drops better... All without making the steering twitchy or weird.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run an 80MM stem on my XL Anthem X 29er. I bought a brand new take off Giant stem on eBay for $12.00 It worked out well because I found the same one that came on the bike only much shorter. any shorter for me might be too twitchy but the XL/80MM combo works for me...but I am 6'3"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    70mm Thompson here.. Just the right balance for me.. If your in santa barbara your welcome to come try mine..

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by cnitram View Post
    Have a 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er. It has a 110 stem, and I'm looking to upgrade to shorter one. Any suggestions on size/brand etc. Thanks..
    If you want to go light and durable, check out Syntace.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I went with a cheap takeoff because I didn't want to spend a bunch of money for a good stem only to change it again. Now that I know I like the 80mm I'll probably get a Thompson or such

mtbr member
    I looked around and finally bought one of these Chinese stems. I bought the 70 mm one from the same seller, $28. I was bit concerned about a cheap stem but if you think about it the torque at the base of the stem is reduced by 36% going from 110 mm to 70 mm. T = Fxd.
    It is lite and the color was almost identical to my longer Specialized stem. My original thought was the same as the last poster. Try it out and buy a more expensive one if I liked it. Can't see spending the money now. I am a pretty conservative trail rider so it's hard to imagine I can break one of these.

New Uno Ultralight MTB Road 31 8 x 60mm Stem 86g Black | eBay
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

Happy Trails

Stem upgrade suggestions

If you have to buy a stem, get a Thomson or else get something else on sale for a about thirty bucks. Never mind. Get a Thomson. And there's no P.

mtbr member
    I ride a 29er Spec Camber. I have noticed my front end seemed "twitchy", kind of hard to keep it on a line. I decided to put my original 110 mm stem back on in place of the 70 mm I had switched to. The bike immediately felt like it tracked better.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Just to be clear an upgrade is changing one or more component(s) to something else that is lighter/stronger/better. Changing a stem to a shorter size is dialing/tweaking the fit and handling characteristics of a bike. Carry on.

Rub it............
    I just picked up a Loaded Components AMXC stem and stem spacers. These are made in San Diego, CA.

Went a tad shorter than the 100 mm that I had on it due to going to a wider handlebar.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    If you want to go light and durable, check out Syntace.
    This. The syntace stuff I've used has been stiff and light. Coming in at or below claimed weight. Wasn't super expensive either.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I ride Thomson, but the Easton Haven is cool and 50 % off at Jenson (black), wheel world (magnesium)

Plays with tools
    Hit up the OE stash of stems at your local shop for cheap stems, find what you like then get something nice.

mtbr member
    Be advised, if your 2012 has OD2 fork (1 1/4 steerer) most stems will not fit. The Giant contact slr OD2 carbon stems are lite and strong but pricey.