conjoinicorned

steel fork on carbon frame....any weird stuff?

i'm saving up for a carbon rigid but in the meantime i'd love to run my new lurcher 29 rigid, if only so i can run my Reba on my 69er conversion project and i have a fair selection of rigid steel forks

is there any reason other than looking absurd why i shouldn't run a steel fork on a carbon frame? is a rigid fork even a good idea for hard riding on a carbon frame, is there weird stresses i should be concerned about?

i'm no rigid noob but i am a carbon noob and i'm not ashamed to admit that although the bike feels really solid (and so far is a great ride), i'm still frightened a bit by the "plastic" frame

thanks and feel free to make fun of this ridiculous thread.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I don't think you have anything to worry about running rigid with carbon, carbon has been proven it can be as strong as any other material. As far as steel fork though, I'd give you my somewhat humorous opinion but my opinion isn't important.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I don't think you have anything to worry about running rigid with carbon, carbon has been proven it can be as strong as any other material. As far as steel fork though, I'd give you my somewhat humorous opinion but my opinion isn't important.
    LOL
    i'd like to hear it! i think it looks ludicrous (i put it on the other night just to see) but i'm not on budget for a new carbon fork quite yet, and i could use my reba on another project
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I was gonna say it would be like wearing tighty whities on the outside of your jeans...

Did I catch a niner?
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I was gonna say it would be like wearing tighty whities on the outside of your jeans...
    Superman does this... Just saying.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    LOL
    i'd like to hear it! i think it looks ludicrous (i put it on the other night just to see) but i'm not on budget for a new carbon fork quite yet, and i could use my reba on another project
    We have the carbon/al 29er fork on sale for $150
    On-One 29" Carbon Fork
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common