mtbr member

Stan's ZTR 29 Gold Race Wheelset - Max PSI Pressure: Tubed vs Tubeless

Can't seem to get a reply out of Stan's forum moderators, so hopefully somebody can share their experience and insight.

Jan 24, 2011, Stan's Moderator, NoTubesBob said,

"For all of our rims running them with a tube the max pressure is the max pressure as listed on the tire. The limits we state on our rims are not because our rims can not handle the pressure but because the tires can not handle the pressure when run tubeless. Inflate a tire tubeless above the recommended pressure as listed on our rim you risk breaking the bead of the tire and blowing it off the rim."

Does this apply for the ZTR 29er Race 'GOLD' rims as well?

For instance, if I want to run 50 PSI for a dirt/gravel/road race using the ZTR 29er Race Gold Wheelset, I will be safe as long as I use tubes -- correct?

Thanks.

(BTW - 5'5", 125 lbs)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They answered your question. If you want to run 50 psi, make sure your tire can handle the pressure.

mtbr member
    Yes, I saw - thank you.

They based their answer (33 psi limit w/tube) on the assumption of using a 2.0 tire. However, I wonder if this applies to smaller tires (1.75) with tubes on the Race Gold Rims --- with relative pressure increase, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Stan's just doesn't wanna be responsible for buying you a new tire if it gets damaged when over inflated. As said previously, it's more about the tire, not the rim. The rim will handle it, but not all tires. Without a tube inside, you can literally blow the bead off the rim. I've never had it happen to me, but I've heard stories. I'd imagine if you stick with the common sense laws you'll be fine. If your using a narrow tire meant to run at high psi's then this is less likely to happen. If you try to inflate a 2.3 tire to 80 psi, it's gonna end up bad. You shouldn't have to go above 35-40 psi to properly seat the tire tubeless. If you have to run a tire at 50 psi, just make sure the tire can handle it.

mtbr member
    Just looking to further explore the reason for Stan's psi warning.

(Which is more susceptible to damage - rims or tires?)

Sounds like rims can safely handle higher psi's, provided tires (and tubes) are designed and labeled for such.

Want to ride with confidence if I choose to use, say, a 29x1.5, or 700x40/42c 'cross-type tire with tubes on the Race Gold rims.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by brushman View Post
    Want to ride with confidence if I choose to use, say, a 29x1.5, or 700x40/42c 'cross-type tire with tubes on the Race Gold rims.
    if you are going to use a tube, don't go over the pressure printed on the tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    According to their site below the wheelset. It doesn't differentiate between tube or non. "The ZTR 29er Race Gold is a low pressure rim and it must be run at pressures of 15-33 psi. Higher pressures may cause damage to the rim and will not be covered in the warranty. If you prefer to run high pressures, please consider purchasing a different rim from the ZTR product line."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    how have these wheels held for you? @ 145 riding aggressive singeltrack i dont know what i should do. These or crests

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sellemt View Post
    how have these wheels held for you? @ 145 riding aggressive singeltrack i dont know what i should do. These or crests
    I've ridden the Stan's Race Golds for a year with no issues on a variety of terrain (smooth, rooty, rocky, etc.). So far, so good. At an aggressive 125lb, I feel like the wheels were made especially for me.

Barring abuse and natural disasters (crashes), very doubtful you have any issues at 145lbs. I have a couple 180+lb buddies pushing them (race only), they've been fine, but I think Crests would be their safer choice.

Great wheels.

ADD: Running tubeless - 17psi fr; 19-20psi rear

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brushman View Post
    I've ridden the Stan's Race Golds for a year with no issues on a variety of terrain (smooth, rooty, rocky, etc.). So far, so good. At an aggressive 125lb, I feel like the wheels were made especially for me.

Barring abuse and natural disasters (crashes), very doubtful you have any issues at 145lbs. I have a couple 180+lb buddies pushing them (race only), they've been fine, but I think Crests would be their safer choice.

Great wheels.

ADD: Running tubeless - 17psi fr; 19-20psi rear
    So Brushman you've been running those psi ratings and no issues at all?? Wow that's pretty low. Do you use pure tubeless tires or tubeless-ready ones? I'm thinking of going for some race golds too and using schwalbe TUbless ready tires. Thoughts?