mtbr member
    May 2013

Stan's Wheel Advice

Hello All,

I'm building up a SOMA Juice hard tail 29er and I'd like some advice on wheels.

I'm looking at either Stan's Crest or Arch wheels. I weigh about 145. There's an off chance I'll do some light loaded bike camping, with no more than 40 pounds of gear.

I've read a ton about Crest and Arch wheels on these forums. Some say "don't trust the Crest!!" while others say "I'm 220 and I ride the hell out of my Crests with no issues." Most agree that the Arch set is tough as nails.

I called Stan's and they said I could go with the Crests at my weight, but I'm concerned about flexiness and durability.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have ArchEx wheels. They are spec'ed for 125kgf spoke tension versus 100(used to be 90) for Crests. For the rear dish the non drive side would be 60kgf or so for the Crests. This is one reason why they can be flexy, especially for a 29. I thought the ArchEx rim is wider, but they are the same..
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks! Thinking Arch with lightweight tires. They're only a third of a pound heavier, anyway.

mtbr member
    I love the weight of my crests, but if I had to do it again, I'd go ArchEX. FWIW the internal widths of both the Crests and ArchEX is the exact same according to Stans site...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Why would you go with Arch EX over Crests? Have you had trouble with the Crests?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a set of Crests on XTR hubs and have ridden them with no issues. (I weigh 150lb). Have raced them all season and just finished 3 day TransRockies stage race with them. Personally I don't notice any prominent flexing. That said if i wasn't concerned with weight for racing I'd go with the Arches just for piece of mind.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Arch EX's on my rigid 29er single speed......been riding them for almost a year tubeless at 215 lbs.......No problems and still true. I would buy them again for sure.

mtbr member
    Crest user here...nice rims. Lightweight and not that expensive. Matched that with hope hubs

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a handful of rides, and 3 xc races on my Crests with no issues. Still true. I live in Co so plenty of fast rocky downhill stuff. Stock 3.30 hubs.

Im 155 lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Stan's Wheel Advice

At your weight, I'd definitely take the Crests. I flog mine in XC trails and am amazed they stay true. I'm 170.

If you are going bike packing, I doubt you be taking bug drops with 40lbs of gear. I'd say the Crests are ideal for your weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: Stan's Wheel Advice

I think it depends on the trail and the pressure you like to run. I have both the arch ex and crest rims. I've found the crest to flat spot much easier if you happen to hit a rock/ledge when running too low of pressure. I've actually had the rim deform enough after one of these encounters that it would no longer reliably hold the tire bead in a tubeless setup.

I'm 160lbs and live in a very rocky area. If I keep the pressure up around 27psi+, I have no issues. Below that and it's open for damage. The arch ex has held up better when I've gotten slack on tire pressure.

The weight savings of the crest is nice, but if you want something more "set and forget", the arch ex's are hard to beat.

MTB B'dos
    For the miniscule weight saving I'd take the reassurance of the ArchEX, FOR SURE. I only weigh about 165-170 nekked, but can go as high as nearly 200lbs ready to ride and I got a Crest front wheel as an experiment since the front is where I am normally more careful of placing etc and while it's held up, I've had to true it a few times. Little FYI, don't go for the Stans wheels, instead get the Hope built with Stans rims from Wiggle, MUCH cheaper, cheaper than you can even buy the parts separately.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Re: Stan's Wheel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    For the miniscule weight saving I'd take the reassurance of the ArchEX, FOR SURE. I only weigh about 165-170 nekked, but can go as high as nearly 200lbs ready to ride and I got a Crest front wheel as an experiment since the front is where I am normally more careful of placing etc and while it's held up, I've had to true it a few times. Little FYI, don't go for the Stans wheels, instead get the Hope built with Stans rims from Wiggle, MUCH cheaper, cheaper than you can even buy the parts separately.
    This. I have a set of 26" flows on the way from cyclesportsuk. They were a little cheaper than wiggle. The wheels plus 15mm adapter were just under $400 with free shipping to the usa.

--
    Stephen

Twin Six METAL Team
    I have a set of Crests (laced to DT 240s hubs) on my carbon HT, and they have held up great! I weigh around 180, and have ridden them on anything from torn up fire roads...to rocky terrain...to the singletrack we have around town. They have taken a beating, and have remained true without a single issue. At your weight, I'd definitely go with Crest's.

FWIW, I also run Arch's on my both my SS and FS, and they are great rims as well.