mtbr member

Stan's Flow Ex or Pacenti DL31

Hi all. Going to do a wheel build using my King hubs front and rear but am having trouble making up my mind. Im a big boy(260lbs) riding a Specialized Stumpy 29er FSR with 135mm travel in back and a Fox Float 34 29er with 140mm up front. I ride agressivly, no big drops or jumps or obsticles, I guess it would be called all mountian to some or enduro to others. I know both rims are good quality rims and will do the job just fine. I am hoping on purchasing on of the new Enduro 29ers in the future and want to use this wheelset that I am building now. Would just like to get some pro's con's about the rims from people who have them or their buddies got em and likes them. Thanks for the the help.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of Pacenti TL28's on my single speed. Before you roll your eyes... - I ride it pretty hard. With gear I weigh in around 220, and the bike is rigid, so there's no suspension helping to soak things up. Every jump, drop (all small stuff) root, rock, G-out (and we have some massive ones) takes it's toll on everything about this bike, rider included. But these wheels are in the butter zone for weight, and they're very strong. I've not had to true these wheels yet. They are simply as straight and true as they were when I put them on the bike 3 months ago.

So if you're after bomb proof - and it sounds like you are - I'd take the Pacenti's over the Stans any day. With certain tires the Pacenti's make Stans (or other sealant) almost an afterthought for running tubeless. I would bet if you wanted to save some weight, you could even get away with running the TL28's, but I don't think you could possibly screw up with the DL31.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for your info. Now my problem is deciding to go with a Pacenti or a carbon rim. Started reading that year long thread(cheap chinesee carbon rims) and it sounds like most guys who have bought them are really happy with them. Still have about 120 pages to read or skim over.

mtbr member
    JRA- I read on here (so take it with a grain of salt...) that the bead design of the carbon rims (at least the Light Bicycle ones) is such that once mounted, a tire is no wider than the same tire mounted on a Stan's Crest rim. I'll try to find the post explaining it, but its something I've thought about when shopping for rims. It looks like you're going for a beefier wheelset for more aggressive riding, and I would personally want a wider tire profile for that kind of riding. Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of these assumptions

mtbr member
    Yes I would like a wider profile rim. I dont think Im going to run tubeless yet, I've been reading the aforementioned post and it looks like gorilla tape and valve stem are all you need to go tubeless. I was under the impression that you need to put some kind of liquid in the tire to get it to seal properly, i dont know. Light Bicycles makes a 30mm outside with a 23 or 24mm bead. I think that would be sufficant for my riding.

hispanic mechanic

Stan's Flow Ex or Pacenti DL31

You'll need sealant. That's not a bad thing if you ride where pointy things are trying to release the air from your tires.

Loa
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    JRA- I read on here (so take it with a grain of salt...) that the bead design of the carbon rims (at least the Light Bicycle ones) is such that once mounted, a tire is no wider than the same tire mounted on a Stan's Crest rim. I'll try to find the post explaining it, but its something I've thought about when shopping for rims. It looks like you're going for a beefier wheelset for more aggressive riding, and I would personally want a wider tire profile for that kind of riding. Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of these assumptions
    i think you mean both rims have the same inner width.