mtbr member

Stans or Easton wheel set ?

I was looking into a wheel set for the Giant Advanced 29er with $600 to spend, looking Stans Wheel set ZTR Arch EX , I was taking to of the guys who I ride with also race, they were saying that the Stans have a lot of flex to them , few of the said to buy Easton EA70 XCT set, called my LBS I can get them for $475. any advice of the wheel set? can I get a better wheel set for less than $600?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Look at the Sun Ringle Black Flag, Pro and comp wheels. There have been some great deals on them.

mtbr member
    Thanks I will check them out, would you know if they as stiff as the Eastons?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    ZTR ArchEX over the Easton XCT. However, once you go with the Easton EA90 XC.....it becomes far superior to the Stans...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    +1 on the ZTR's over the Eastons. My bike came with the Eastons. They where alright, but just didn't track as weel as I had hoped. Also seemed a bit sluggish in the corners. I also have a set of arches and a set of crests. The arches are bomb proof, not flexy at all. They crests are also pretty solid, as long as they are built and tensioned right.

I race the crests now. Not a small rider, about 185 with gear. I don't huck, but I ride them really hard for a set of XC wheels. Overall, the arches or crests have performed way better for me than the Eastons. I can't speak about the EA90's though.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I have no experience with Easton's but I have a set of Arch's and I would recommend them. I ride XC, pretty aggressively and have no problems.

What kind of hubs do those eastons come with from your LBS? those will play a bit of a factor in your decision. Also what type of riding is it for?

mtbr member
    I really like my Easton EA70 ECT's. $425 new is solid.

Arch Ex's will be 2mm wider. I only run 2.1-2.3 tires on my Anthem and have no problems with the 19mm internal width of the Eastons.

Running them on a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2

Pricepoint has good deals on the Black Flag Pro's. My concern there is how loud the friggin' freehub is. The Eastons are SILENT (and I love it)!

EDIT: I just got the Sun Ringler Charger Pro SL's (650b for my AM bike) and they are much quieter than the freehub used on the Charger/Black Flag Pro's... More of a Chris King buzz, less of a 'playing cards in the spokes'. Again, the Easton hub is SILENT. (And many people don't like that).

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=EDIT: I just got the Sun Ringler Charger Pro SL's (650b for my AM bike) and they are much quieter than the freehub used on the Charger/Black Flag Pro's... More of a Chris King buzz, less of a 'playing cards in the spokes'. Again, the Easton hub is SILENT. (And many people don't like that).[/QUOTE]

Def right on that one, my hope hubs are LOUD. Not really a big fan of that but I use it as a way to let people know I'm coming up behind em. Also keeps me pedaling so I dont have to hear em!

mtbr member
    I am not sure on the hubs, I thought they were made by Easton, I will check that out. The riding I do is more like cross country riding and will race one or two races, I like to ride hard, however i ride smooth on my bikes and not hard on them ( atleast I think I do ) my weight is 180, I fly low and ride hard!

mtbr member
    Hubs are Easton X2 and don't have the bearing pre-load issues that plagued the Havens.

I'm 185lbs out of the shower, so well north of 200lb riding weight. My Easton's have been flawless on the chunky, rocky riding west of Denver. My preference is tech over buff, even on my XC bike.

My buddy has the same set of Easton's on his BMC SpeedFox and loves them. He just rode White Ranch (chunky, technical descents)and did great on the EA70XCT's

Several of my buddies have Arch EX's as well.

Can't go wrong either way.

IMHO: Pick the best deal. Ride the hell outta them.

mtbr member
    Going to have the wheels built by the lbs, this guy has been building wheel for a while now, going to use ZTR arch rims with Hope pro 2 evo hubs, it cost 75 bucks more, however I feel the hubs are worth it, total came out to $575.00.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman43 View Post
    Going to have the wheels built by the lbs, this guy has been building wheel for a while now, going to use ZTR arch rims with Hope pro 2 evo hubs, it cost 75 bucks more, however I feel the hubs are worth it, total came out to $575.00.
    Enjoy bud, you made a good buy! Wheels have been my best upgrade so far.

mtbr member
    I have Easton EA70 XTC wheels on my Giant 29er hardtail; they roll silently, which I like, and they just roll so buttery smooth especially compared to the crappy and heavy wheels my bike came with.

They are stiff and can take some pretty good abuse. I've never had to true them but I've only been riding them a few months now but those miles are racking up and I have nothing negative to say about these wheels at all.

I paid about what you were quoted which I thought was a pretty good deal and a nice upgrade over the OEM wheels. They are about a full pound lighter and tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman43 View Post
    Enjoy those wheels! Hard to go wrong there. One thing I like about your set up is they are future proof and completely rebuildable with (relatively) off-the-shelf parts. Any shop worth their salt will have (or can easily get) Hope or Stan's components.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    I have Easton EA70 XTC wheels on my Giant 29er hardtail... They are about a full pound lighter and tubeless ready.
    You and I probably had the same wheels... Giant PX2 something or other. They were POS. Mine were in darn near like new condition and I sold them on CL for $225 for the pair. I was estatic. lol