Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Stan's Arch and Hans Dampf personal review

Thought I'd share my experience on here in case someone was thinking of going the route I did.

So I bought a 2012 Spech stumpy comp ht last year and loved this thing. Only part of the bike that left me unimpressed was the tires. Stock it came with spech renegades. I have to admit that they roll super fast, but any kinda chunky stuff and they are less then confidence inspiring and I did not like cornering and I had to be very specific on my paths on the down hills.

So I ended up picking up a used set of Stan's Arch wheels with pro hope evo 2 hubs. And I went with the Hans Dampf tire up front and the RaRa in the back, running tubeless.

Doing the tubeless setup was fun and informative. I was kinda shocked how easy the HD mounted up, the RaRa gave me slightly more trouble but got it sealed and seated.

Been out for 2 rides now with em, the first ride I only ran the HD upfront with the stock rear. The trail was nice and wet from a good rain the night before, and the HD just rocked it. I was blown away by the difference. It was literally like riding a new bike. Its such a beefy tire that I got great hook ups in every condition. Roots, logs, stumps, rocks, sand, gravel etc.... no match for the HD, point and shoot. However it did feel like a slower roll on the flats and maybe a bit harder to tear up on the uphills.

Today, got the RaRa in the rear mounted and on and went for another rip an it now feels much slower then the stock setup. It barely coasts, so I have to constantly be pedaling. Usually I'm bombing sections with ease and momentum, but today it was a fight. And flat or uphill I was super slow and it just killed my energy and legs. But on the downhill's its a complete beast, allows you to give er and it sticks.

I have to say overall I was super impressed with how easy it was to setup the wheels tubeless. In terms of control, grip and added confidence this setup gets an A++++, but in terms of long distance and rolling resistance it gets a C from me. I really wasnt happy with it today.

I might have to play with the hubs or tire pressures to get it at its best, but I still have my stock wheels setup so I'm gonna try and sub out the front and put the stock back on and see how it goes to try and pin point whats causing me to fight the bike so much right now. I think the HD is just too much tire for my trails, I might have fallen in love with the look more so then what I needed.

So if your in the market for new wheels and tires I love the Arch's, super easy to work with and great value. The Hope hubs, not sure how I feel, they seems good but not sure if there the problem, cause they dont just drop into the front fork either, the end plugs stick out by a hair on either side so I have to pull the fork apart a bit for it to slide down and in place. I thought maybe thats causing the resistance and slowing me down. For the Hans Dampf I was really impressed with its ease of mounting and look and the grip/control is outta this world. Just think for an XC application that apparently is more flat and up then it is downhill it might be too heavy, but the RaRa in the rear seems nice, it didnt slide out or loose grip at any point I didnt expect and it seems to roll nice in the rear.

Unless I can find a solution to whats slowing me down, cause I thought lighter wheels would make me faster or easier to pedal has done the opposite. I blew my legs up today on a regular run I can usually burn up.

*for anyone that read this and might have some info or tips on things I can try to get things rolling smoother let me know

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The front wheel really shouldn't be impacting any perceived rolling resistance issues and the RaRa is a fast rolling XC race tire. You sure it's not your hubs?

I used to run RaRas in the rear until I started blowing out sidewalls, currently running Ikon EXO's tubeless (lolwarranty) in the rear with great results. Sticking with my HD up front though, really a great tire.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    No, I'm not sure its not my hubs. I was told by the seller they were either a) just rebuilt or b) good to go, cant remember exactly. I bought them from a mech at a local bike shop so I took his word on that. But hey, people make mistakes so could be something wrong there.

I hear good things about the Ikon, even as a front tire cause I think they now make it in a 2.35 version.
    I hope I can fix this and stick with the HD its one sexy tire that grips hard!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i absolutely love my HD! man its so sticky. it really woke my DH riding up with it. and since its on my trail bike, i am not worried about rolling resistance since i am not racing anyone on a trail ride. just trying to have fun. if i wanted to race, i would race.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    i absolutely love my HD! man its so sticky. it really woke my DH riding up with it. and since its on my trail bike, i am not worried about rolling resistance since i am not racing anyone on a trail ride. just trying to have fun. if i wanted to race, i would race.
    Yea I agree, its super sticky. I'm not even sure its the root of the cause yet but I feel like the problem is in the front.

I'm not meaning I'm racing, but something is just killing my momentum. Which makes me dead tired real fast, thats all I want back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Try a Nobby Nic up front if you decide the HD is not for you. They roll nice. Not sure what to say on the hubs, check the pawls/bearings maybe?

mtbr member
    I run the 2.35 HD in front and the 2.4 RaRa in back. Grip is excellent and rolling resistance minimal. Much easier to pedal/climb when compared to my previous Conti Trail King 2.2s front/back.

I plan to try the Nic 2.25 once the rear tire wears out... which is probably only another week or two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I run a Maxxis cross mark on the rear and a specialized captain control on the front, both have not let me down at all in cornering and both are fast rolling. These are mounted on Stans ZTR ARch ex on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs front and rear. On my full squish I have a RARA on the rear and a Kenda Nev on the front, now the kenda grips like fat kids hand holding a twinky but its very slow rolling and I can really feel it on days I take the FS. I might replace it soon with another captain since I love that tire as a front, on the plus side taking out the FS makes my legs work real hard and than I take out the HT which is at least 6 lbs lighter and it feels like I am pedalling nothing.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    When I have my bike turned upside down, and I spin the front tire it literally only gets like 2 rotations before it just stops, with the same strength of push on the rear it spins freely, this is why I think the problem is in the front.

Could be the tire or the hub, I really think its a combo of both but the hub is more so to blame and the tire just isnt helping lol, I really believe its because of the hope hub. I have a RWS 9mm front skewer so I bought new plugs for the hub. the skewer fits fine, but when I go to drop the front into the fork it doesnt drop in at all. I have to literally pull the front fork apart a bit so the tire drops down into place. I think this is the area that causing me grief. Just not sure how to fix that, do I grind out the fork a bit to get it more clearance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Are your brakes dragging?

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Are your brakes dragging?
    I dont hear any rubbing, but I did not recenter them after putting the new wheels on. I was told I should try that, as usually the rotors wont line up just the same as the stock's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    No, I'm not sure its not my hubs. I was told by the seller they were either a) just rebuilt or b) good to go, cant remember exactly. I bought them from a mech at a local bike shop so I took his word on that. But hey, people make mistakes so could be something wrong there.
    You can put your bike in a stand and spin the rear wheel to see how the hubs are working. If there is significant drag you'll see it. You can pull the brake caliper if you think it might be the problem to trouble shoot what is causing any drag.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have many wheel & tyre combo's for my Rip9 RDO, Racing Ralph's, Nobby Nic's , Hans Dumpf's, Ignitors, Ardent .

I find the Nobby Nic to be the best do everything tyre out of this bunch.

The Hans Dumpf does have more grip, but have more resistance, But not at the levels you seem to be talking about.

The Racing Ralph's are a fast tyre for sure but when pushed hard, They have limited grip up front.

I have run 2.2 Ikon's & Cross mark's but found them to be slower & have less grip than the Racing Ralph.

So on my good carbon wheels I have them set up with Racing Ralph rear & Nobby Nic front & that is what I run when I want to go fast up & down.

mtbr member
    Definitely check brakes first.

I've heard ra-ras have fairly porous sidewalls - did you end up needing to use extra sealant to get them to seal up? If there's too much sealant sloshing around in your rear tire it can make the bike feel sluggish, may want to take some out.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

nothing to see here
    If it's not brakes, then remove the wheel, then the end caps and check to see if the bearings are seated properly. Maybe tap them with a soft tool. Put some oil on the end cap seals to make them spin more freely.

By the way, when spinning your front off the ground, the heavier tyres are only helping to keep it spinning, not hindering it. Two revolutions is definitely a problem.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You could eliminate the possibilty of brake drag by un-bolting your caliper altogether: - then you'll know for sure it's your hubs. When I got my new Stans wheels wtih ZTR hubs, I was amazed at how much longer they would spin than the previous Hope Pro 2's. They would end up oscillating very slowly as the valve settled at the lowest point.

2 revolutions is a problem LOL!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Think I fixed the problem. It appears to have been the front brakes. Caliper and rotor were not centered properly on the new wheels. Causing the drag. I thought to myself if I can hold the wheel off the bike by the end caps and spin the wheel and it spins freely, then the hubs have to be ok. Once I dropped the wheel on the bike boom, it slowed right down.

So I un bolted the caliper a bit, saw it shift, spun the wheel again on the bike and presto she was free and clear. Took the bike for a rip yesterday after the adjustment and it definatly cleared up the issue.Thanks for the help lads.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Definitely check brakes first.

I've heard ra-ras have fairly porous sidewalls - did you end up needing to use extra sealant to get them to seal up? If there's too much sealant sloshing around in your rear tire it can make the bike feel sluggish, may want to take some out.
    I too heard the RaRa's had sidewall issues, but then I hear they dont. Seemed to be a very popular choice for a rear, and if so many people are using them theres bound to be some negative feedback. I went for the snakeskin version to help the sidewall, hopefully. I used 1 and 3/4 scoops of the sealant, just a little less then the 2 scoops I used on the HD. The only problem I had getting it to seat was because of the valve, it was stopping the bead from getting where it needed to be. Once I pin pointed that and corrected it she mounted up just fine, no extra sealant. I did have to do the shake and lay the tire on its side, then use soapy water to check for leaks.so I pumped the tire up to 50psi, and did the shake thing 2-3 times before bed, then did the shake thing 2-3 times again in the morning and by the time I got home from work and was ready to ride I checked with soapy water one last time and no leaks and she's still holding pressure like a champ.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Only 2 revolutions? I would think you'd definitely be able to hear those brakes dragging if that's all you get. Me thinks it's a hub issue.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Only 2 revolutions? I would think you'd definitely be able to hear those brakes dragging if that's all you get. Me thinks it's a hub issue.
    I wasnt using all my strength to spin the wheel, just a little push. Either way it was the brakes. spins free and clear.