mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Stange defect on Nashar handlebar?

I just ordered a Nashbar Black Ops 740mm handlebar to experiment with wider widths. I figured for 19.99 how could i go wrong.
    Well, I mounted it today and immediately something looked strange. Sure enough there appeared to be a downsweep from the end of the rise out to the handles. I thought riser bars were always supposed to have a slight 4-5 degree upsweep.
    They look and feel really weird like this. Surely it is a defect?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    I just ordered a Nashbar Black Ops 740mm handlebar to experiment with wider widths. I figured for 19.99 how could i go wrong.
    Well, I mounted it today and immediately something looked strange. Sure enough there appeared to be a downsweep from the end of the rise out to the handles. I thought riser bars were always supposed to have a slight 4-5 degree upsweep.
    They look and feel really weird like this. Surely it is a defect?
    Upsweep/downsweep is strange. Rotate the bar forward and you have more "upsweep". Rotate it back and you have "downsweep".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Shiggy, I dug them back out of the box and rotated them in the air untill they appeared to rise. The strange thing is that when these bars are rotated forward enough to have upsweep, the rise section on the center appears to be cocked forward more than I am used to seeing. They are made a little weird but for $20 I can't complain. I'll try this wide bar thing out and see what happens.

BTW the wide bars do look cool

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    MOST risers achieve the height increase in the bend section alone. Actually having the bar sloping upwards away from the bends as well as backwards is something only a handful of brands do.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I looked up the bar on the Nashbar website and it certainly doesn't look like that. Nashbar has a good return policy if you want to exchange them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys, I rotated them further forward untill I got the upsweep I wanted. I like the width. I may get some more expensive bars with some upsweep later.