Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013

Staggered Tire sizes?! 2.4 and 2.2 rear

I have a 2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er. The factory tire is a 2.3 Bontreger XR3. I am not thrilled with the lateral grip compared to the 2.2 Mountain Kings on my Superfly. One of the guys at the LBS recommended doing a 2.4 Mountain King on the front and a 2.2 on the rear. I understand the premise of more traction in the rear and faster rolling on the rear, but how will this effect handling? The bike believe it or not will spend half of its life on XC trails in Louisiana... its more of a road trip bike when I head up into the mountains.

What do you all think?!
    2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er + 150mm Pike
    2012 Specialized Status II + Boxxer World Cup

Elitest thrill junkie
    Generally, having a bigger front tire is a "balanced" setup. Rear tires have more weight on them and "dig in" easier, but the same size front tire can often lead to the front washing out first in turns, which is more dangerous than the opposite situation. Lots of DH riders have frequently ran combos over the years like 2.5 front, 2.3 rear (and similar variations slightly bigger and smaller). Given the option, I always choose a staggered setup, except on a fat-bike where distributing your weight over maximum area is more important. Remember, the rear follows the front, that's where you want the best control IMO, the weight on the rear makes up for the rest.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    +1 ^, I am running a 2.3 GC and 2.2 mountain king (F&R) now. I was using both 2.3 GC but it is a heavy tire and I dropped a few grams with the switch. I have not lost any control on the rear and it seems to roll better.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Thanks guys!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    I have a 2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er. The factory tire is a 2.3 Bontreger XR3. I am not thrilled with the lateral grip compared to the 2.2 Mountain Kings on my Superfly. One of the guys at the LBS recommended doing a 2.4 Mountain King on the front and a 2.2 on the rear. I understand the premise of more traction in the rear and faster rolling on the rear, but how will this effect handling? The bike believe it or not will spend half of its life on XC trails in Louisiana... its more of a road trip bike when I head up into the mountains.

What do you all think?!
    That's pretty standard to go with more volume aggression up front, and something with a bit better rolling resistance in the rear. Depending on the tire's volume and tread, it can result in a different feel/handling than running two tires of the same size, but IMO - the feel and handling difference has always been an improvement. I like front tires like Ikon 2.35, Nobby Nic 2.35, Renegade 2.3 for XC riding.

Bodhisattva
    Be aware, the 2.2 Mountain King is skinny. More like a 2.0 or 2.1. That may not matter depending on your taste in tires and terrain.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    As far as I'm concerned the only reason to run a narrower tire on the rear, is clearance. On a 29" frame that is more critical than on a 26". It has been fairly well established that a wider tire results in less rolling resistance than the same but narrower version at the same pressure. The possible down side is more weight.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have two reasons.

One is that you need more traction than in the rear. In the rear you don't need as much rubber and weight/rolling resistance/clearance can be an issue. I also like my rear wheel to break and lose traction before my front and drift a little bit. If the front loses traction, you can't drift and are probably going down.

The second is that I have a rigid single speed and I have a 2.4 Ardent on the front of it and a 2.2 Slant Six on the back. The 2.4 Ardent at 20 PSI gives a decent bit of cush.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Be aware, the 2.2 Mountain King is skinny. More like a 2.0 or 2.1. That may not matter depending on your taste in tires and terrain.
    Yeah the 2.2 MK's on my superfly are pretty narrow, but they hook like crazy!