Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

Sram's New XX1 Group

What is everyones response to the new XX1 Group and idea of 1X11 as a whole?

At first I did the ol eye roll too .. but after punching some of the gearings into my calculator I began to think it might be something Im looking forward to...

I pretty much ride exclusively 29ers these days, and for me the 10X42 cassette might work perfect with a 28/30 tooth single up front. I currently run 26 low and 36 high with a 11/36 cassette and rarely use my top end...

I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little tiny bit of top end to keep the extra weight off, extra shifting out and simplicity of a 1x11
    Last edited by Ace5high; 07-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm sure that I will give it a go, I think it will be bang on 95% of the time & I will just have to harden up for the rest.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    I don't like the idea of having a special hub...
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor69PRS View Post
    I don't like the idea of having a special hub...
    It is not the whole hub, just the freehub body. Will work with any DT Swiss star ratchet hub.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I'm taking a wait-and-see regarding chain management issues. If you make the chain long enough for the 42, won't it be flopping all over the place when you are in the 10? And if you add a chain guide would it hinder the shifting?

I'm currently loving 1x9. but if I can get 2 more gears all else being equal I'd take it in a heartbeat!

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

banned
    I don't think it is a problem, Emily Batty raced on it at the last WC race.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    It is not the whole hub, just the freehub body. Will work with any DT Swiss star ratchet hub.
    Good to know! I also thought that you had to use the SRAM hub, and was wanting to stick with DT240s hubs.

I do like the idea of it, and I'm definitely considering it for the Air 9 RDO that I'm getting started on! The cost may (or may not) sway my decision.

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I'm taking a wait-and-see regarding chain management issues. If you make the chain long enough for the 42, won't it be flopping all over the place when you are in the 10? And if you add a chain guide would it hinder the shifting?
    I got one word for you, Type 2 rear derailleur

....so maybe it was more than one
    feelin good is good enough

thecentralscrutinizer
    Looks like an great set-up to me. I'm selling my blood now and putting the money away in a Christmas fund for this group...Only 127 more quarts and I'll be ready.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm sure that I will give it a go, I think it will be bang on 95% of the time & I will just have to harden up for the rest.
    At least until you decide youve hardened up you can change the front cog without a lot of trouble just slides strainght over the arm and pedal.

From what ive read, price is somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 and the clutch rear deraillieur plus some new movement system solves the chainflop.

I would give it a go if i knew what the ratios equated to compared to a 22/36 or a 24/39 2 x 10 system.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Looks like an great set-up to me. I'm selling my blood now and putting the money away in a Christmas fund for this group...Only 127 more quarts and I'll be ready.
    great point. I tend to get overly excited until the price reels me back in.

"wow, I'm all over that!" quickly turns to, "wow, this old stuff is fine."
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think SRAM made a big mistake by requiring a special freehub simply for the sake of having a 10 tooth cog. They could (should) have made a 10 speed cassette, 11x42 and been done. Maybe Shimano will do it right.....

Wanderer
    The special freehub body turns me off of it. Their cassette will be stupid expensive also. Otherwise I would like it. I love my 1x9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    The special freehub body turns me off of it. Their cassette will be stupid expensive also. Otherwise I would like it. I love my 1x9.
    I agree with this. Perhaps we will see a "X01" model in 11-42 that fits a standard freehub body. Racing with 34x11-36 now, I would be absolutely thrilled to have that gear range.

It should go without saying that not everyone has DT Swiss or SRAM rear hubs. I have Industry 9 wheels and also a wheelset with ZTR hubs. I'd love to hear them announce their XX1-compatible freehub bodies, but I haven't heard that from them or any other of the many companies out there that make rear hubs.

mtbr member
    I have x9 hubs so I guess I could give it a try. But that cassette is going to be like $400 and I bet the chain will be over $100. That's just too much money for stuff that I will replace twice a season. I really hope this trickles down to less expensive parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    I think SRAM made a big mistake by requiring a special freehub simply for the sake of having a 10 tooth cog. They could (should) have made a 10 speed cassette, 11x42 and been done. Maybe Shimano will do it right.....
    Amen! Love the overall concept, but just don't understand the need to go through with what it took to get the 10T. I run 1x9 34T-11/32T and 1X10 32T-11/34T and can count on 1 hand how many times I ever even use the 11T. I'll be curious how compatible (or incompatible) the chain will be with any cassette other than this XX1 10/42T. Not hopeful on that though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Amen! Love the overall concept, but just don't understand the need to go through with what it took to get the 10T. I run 1x9 34T-11/32T and 1X10 32T-11/34T and can count on 1 hand how many times I ever even use the 11T. I'll be curious how compatible (or incompatible) the chain will be with any cassette other than this XX1 10/42T. Not hopeful on that though.
    Its a special chain that designed narrower that normal chains and i suppose its designed exclusively to run on the front Crank due to the longer tooth length of crank

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Agreed, I never even use my 11T on the 26er.

usually cranky
    i run 1x10, 33 up front and 11-36 out back. around here i can scoot up most anything, and if i cant, well screw it. walking is ok too.

mtbr member
    I think you might be missing the point. From what I understand about the group Sram wants it to be used for every thing from down hill to world cup XC racers to every day riders. XC racers will want the 10 and as well as the 42.

usually cranky
    wc dh riders already use a single ring and a close ratio road cassette so that is happening...

sock puppet

my thoughts as well

i've been entertaining losing the front derailleur, shifter and one ring even with the existing setup, just to try it... 34 size front ring should do it, i think...

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i run 1x10, 33 up front and 11-36 out back. around here i can scoot up most anything, and if i cant, well screw it. walking is ok too.
    good to know... my plan is to switch to 33 front as well...

workin' it Administrator
    I have to say the 42T rear is ridiculous. If you can't make it up the climb with a 32x36t (the current standard) the you can probably walk it just as fast as running a 33x42t.

It seems like a cog that could deliver a serious amount of torque to a free hub (probably the reason it requires a special hub, so that you can't just slip it on any old hub and destroy it on the first climb), and it makes me think that a dirty drive train would just contribute to a lot of broken chains, bend 42t cogs etc.

All too often bike component makers spend too much time making bike riding easier to compensate for the fact that bikes riding has been made easier. Modifying the SS riders creed, you have 9 or 10 or 11 speeds, all your gears and walking and if the hill is too hard to climb ride more, don't make it easier to climb. That is the same as removing rocks in the trail because you can't clean them. Learn to ride your bike, first. Then buy stuff.
    Try this: HTFU

rth009
    May 2010
    The gearing range of the 1x11 seems fine to me, but I wonder about the ability to quickly drop or jump up several gears like you can do with a front derailleur

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast