Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yep yer RIGHT!!! DAMN
    Last edited by Bullseye Cycle; 09-30-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Wrong info

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ya the top one is alum... ask me about Bullseye. I got all excited... you're right.

mtbr member
    There is no reason to insist upon a 10t, since it's all about the gear ratio between front and rear. If you need a taller gear, just put a bigger chainring in front. If SRAM felt they had to do that with a totally new freehub, it would have been nice to step down to 9t, like the Hope cassette prototypes I've seen. Nonetheless I think it's in their best interest to produce a cassette with 11-42. They can keep on making the new 10-42 as well; I'll bet they sell plenty of both.

Anything below 4t from 1:1 is a luxury to me, and it would be very nice to have 36x10-42 (or 11-42), like what Kulhavy raced in the Olympics. Right now I run 34x11-36 and it races pretty well in XC and marathon, but it would be lovely to have a gear or two above and below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye Cycle View Post
    ya the top one is alum... ask me about Bullseye. I got all excited... you're right.
    Yea, it's super lame. If SRAM offered the 36T separately and you could buy a $400 cassette and swap out a $50 ring twice a year, sure, great. But it's lame that my $400 cassette is done in 500 miles just because I wore out the big cog.

I do a good bit of climbing, and spend time in the big cog in the rear. Whether it's trying to save time by cross chaining with the front in the big, or just spinning up steeper climbs in granny/granny.

Again, everything is "fixed" with a $70 PG-1070 cassette, and if they offered a X9 level 11-42 so I could run 1x10, I'd be all over that in an instant

-Tom

Trail Ninja
    Yep, I'm also disappointed that SRAM never offered the 36T replacement cog as they promised for the XX cassette. I haven't made any effort to avoid that cog either, and used it quite a bit on my 2x10 setup on my other bike.

I don't run 1x10 because the terrain here goes up and down enough that a 32-34t chainring with a 11-36 cassette doesn't have enough of a high gear for fast sections and not enough of a low gear for steep sustained climbs and epic rides. I can totally see people who've been wanting to go 1x10 jump on something like this. I'll just stick to my triple, as my FS bike is designed around it. I will admit that there's only a few sections that I'm able to spin up my 42-11 to about 35 MPH or higher on actual dirt, but I like having that gear, as it feels stable trying to spin it out of the saddle--if I had to spin higher RPMs on a descent to push myself, my balance would be worse and a pedal strike or slipping off the pedal would be more likely to be disastrous.

However, as I posted before, I may be interested in going 1x if a frame was designed for it, and took full advantage of not having to deal with chainring and FD clearance, as opposed to simply converting a bike designed around a triple or double crankset to 1x up front.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I want XX1 on my Superfly 100. Would there be a compatable crank/bootom bracket option?
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I want XX1 on my Superfly 100. Would there be a compatable crank/bootom bracket option?
    Yep that is the easy part, It is the wheel free hub that will be the hardest part to sort out.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I need new wheels anyway
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    I dont think I'll use the 42t cog for more than a few rides each year. When I get my bike built is should be sub 26 lbs and climbing with 32t front and 36t rear wont be tough. That big 42t will on be used on some of the longer high elevation climbs that are only open for 4 months out of the year around here.

mtbr member
    Industry Nine just announced they're producing XX1-compatible freehub bodies, sweet, I'm sold.

Sup
    nice
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Industry Nine just announced they're producing XX1-compatible freehub bodies, sweet, I'm sold.

Excellent! At $80 each, pretty sure I'll be ordering a pair of the shells this winter -- the Tallboy's definitely getting the XX-1 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    My understanding is that you can run the XX1 crank as a single speed or a 1x10 with a 10 speed chain. Anybody plan on doing this?
    Doesn't seem like too bad of an option for a carbon crank and easily interchangeable front ring considering the crankset will run around $300.

mtbr member
    Are you sure you want to use a 10 or 11-speed chain for your singlespeed? I know a lot of singlespeeders and they tend to go with at least an 8-speed chain's thickness or preferably SS-specific.

Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    My understanding is that you can run the XX1 crank as a single speed or a 1x10 with a 10 speed chain. Anybody plan on doing this?
    Doesn't seem like too bad of an option for a carbon crank and easily interchangeable front ring considering the crankset will run around $300.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    I agree and thought the same when I read that the XX1 crank could be run as 1x10 or ss. I run an 870 chain on my ss and have had no issues yet. Curious what others thought of this.

mtbr member
    Dude, why would somebody give me negative rep for asking the above question?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Some pros ran XX1 with a 1x10 in the world cup. The teeth will probably be fine for an 8 speed chain. I would call srams tech people.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I dont know if the alternating big/little teeth of XX1 would work with anything else, but it wont be long until we can find out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's my plan! Talked to a SRAM rep at my last race in late August, and he verified it would work. The only thing I wasn't sure about from the conversation was whether it required using the 11 spd chain still (for the offsetting wide/narrow fit on the ring) or the 10 spd chain. Still don't really know. 10 spd shitfter and type 2 RD are the other requirements, of course. I run 1x9 and 1x10 with 32T-34T front and no bigger than a 34T cog. I'm fine with that...don't really need the 10-42T and the hassle of that XD cassette body. My main interest is simply losing the need for a chain keeper up front. We shall see if it works out as planned or not!

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    That's my plan! Talked to a SRAM rep at my last race in late August, and he verified it would work. The only thing I wasn't sure about from the conversation was whether it required using the 11 spd chain still (for the offsetting wide/narrow fit on the ring) or the 10 spd chain. Still don't really know. 10 spd shitfter and type 2 RD are the other requirements, of course. I run 1x9 and 1x10 with 32T-34T front and no bigger than a 34T cog. I'm fine with that...don't really need the 10-42T and the hassle of that XD cassette body. My main interest is simply losing the need for a chain keeper up front. We shall see if it works out as planned or not!

I am sure a 10 spd chain used with a casette would be strong enough. Maybe using a 10 spd chain for single speeding might compromise the strength of the chain. Maybe we will soon find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The fly in the ointment is the 10t cog. Like tits on a bull, it is not needed, and worse yet, it's going to require costly hub modifications. SRAM is really dropping the ball on that point, and as I said before, Shimano will walk away with this if they use the same concept and eliminate the hub issue and drop the 10t.
    I wonder if the 42t cassette didn't drive the hub shell change as much as the 10t? Current cassettes chew up alloy freehubs pretty bad today. The new freehub should eliminate this issue (which could be worse with the 42t cassette and smaller chainring options) and allowed an opportunity to add a 10t to keep the gearing range for racers.

Given Shimano has never offered an alloy freehub body on the mtb side, it would be interesting to see if they do indeed offer something on the current body.

mtbr member
    SRAM rep was at my LBS on Tuesday. She said XX1 should be available in 2-3 weeks, and they will be providing a demo bike in the next week or 2 setup with XX1 for people to tryout! I cant wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm putting this group set on a Avenger china carbon will both Q factor sizes work? I do train alot of road so would the 156 work better for transitions between the 2 bikes?
    Last edited by jdubb12; 10-17-2012 at 06:49 PM.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Hell's yeah! love my I9 even more now
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

O.G
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    they should make another version of it with a different cassette that starts with a 11t instead of a 10t this way it would fit other freehub bodys too, but either way since i converted to 29ers id say that 1 ring front with a jump stop or chainguide is the way to go, i got a gearing of 32x11-34 right now and i can hammer the steepest hills and still get good speed up on flat roads, single front ring will kill out 2x and 3x in a few years im pretty sure, but the x11s price id say is way too much, i get it that its new and it took time and effort to develop it but the price of ~300 for just the rear cassette seems too much for me, but if id have the financials id already have the x11s on my bike!!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast