Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I talked to Rotor Ring a month ago and they said they weren't planning to make rings to fit XX1 cranks but I didn't specifically ask if they had any plans to try an alternating tooth thickness ring. I don't remember hearing if Sram patented it.
    I can't imagine they how much they would charge for and alternating tooth thickness rotor ring. I'm a Rotor Ring fan and am going to go XX1. I'm having a tough time deciding if I'll keep my current rotor ring and run a top mount chain guide or run the XX1 crank.
    If I can live with the 33t front ring instead of a 30t I'm leaning toward sticking with Rotor.
    2 wheels

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    good to know... my plan is to switch to 33 front as well...
    32 with12-34 soon to be 34 with 11-36. Can do everything i want on it from amateur XC racing to all around trail lollygaging. Couldn't be more satisfied within losing the front derailleur, shifter and two chain rings. Do it!

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes Just. I have been told that it can cover 4 teeth difference. I haven't fitted my 28 yet but use the 30 & 32 with same chain no problems .

In the grand skeem of things even if you couldn't what an extra chain.
    I was told a 2 teeth difference in both ways. So if you run a 30t chainring you can ride 28 and 32. But maybe 4 teeth difference will work also if I understand you correctly? I'm waiting for my 28t (riding 32t now) and have a second chain for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    And I was also told at the LBS that the chainlock can be used more often than once. But only with the same chain. When using a new chain you should use a new lock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Got this funny little question that's been tickling my head for the past couple of weeks:

What is Rotor going to do about XX1? Are they going to be able to come out with an elliptical Q-ring that will hold the chain on without a guide like SRAM's?

I guess there are both practical and patent concerns to think about. Will Rotor (and/or all the other chainring manufacturers) be legally allowed to copy the tooth design that makes the front of XX1 so special?
    I think any crank/chain ring manufacturer can make a taller tooth profile, right? I know the SS cogs and chainrings are already taller by a smudge. You can't patent chain line or Q factor I'm pretty sure so these mfg's can make whatever they want.

wrench
    I had no problem switching between a 32 and 34 on Emily Batty's bike, but when we went to 36, it was too short. It was originally sized for a 32 though so if you size it off your middle sized ring, I would bet it will be fine.

I bet also, once you start riding with the 10-42, you will not need to switch the ring much. I live here in Colorado and have only found the 36 is needed for me. 34 was a little small when having to connect downhill paved stretches and I have not found anything I need smaller than the 36/42. If I can't make it on that combo, I am probably walking anyway I have done some super steep climbing with it and 4 hour rides in the "hills" here- pretty good for me. If I knew there was no super fast downhills/road riding stretches, I would probably run the 34 though. Everyone is different though, but I suspect most will not need more than 2 different rings in their arsenal

Em loves her bike

AOK
    mtbr member
    First ride on my 1x10 setup with XX1 cranks and chainring today. I have to agree 100% with the folks who have mentioned how quiet the drivetrain is with XX1.

The new drivetrain + my silent XTR brakes made for the quietest ride as far as bike noise I have had.

mtbr member
    Were you previously using Shimano shifters? Any complaints at all with XX1?

AOK
    mtbr member
    North Shore Billet is planning to produce aftermarket spiders for XX1 rings. This is good news for me - I have some XO cranks that I would like to run a XX1 ring on.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/23/...iders-for-xx1/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
    Em loves her bike
    And now she's back on Shimano.

I get it, that's how racing and teams and being a pro goes...

I just wonder how soon before Shimano has their top riders on a similar 1X system, of if most Shimano pros prefering the 1X will just used chainguides/11-36 cassettes.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

obsessive
    Oct 2009
    just looked through Hope pro 2 evo specs on their site, concidering the trials/ss hub bodies are the same, wouldn't that hub work with the XD driver too?
    or am i wrong?
    i want to ride my bicycle! i want to ride my bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by korbs View Post
    just looked through Hope pro 2 evo specs on their site, concidering the trials/ss hub bodies are the same, wouldn't that hub work with the XD driver too?
    or am i wrong?
    Unless I'm missing something, their trials/SS hubs are different than their geared hubs. The SS/Trials hubs have a hub with symmetric spoke flanges and a freehub that is about 30% shorter than the geared freehub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    What is Rotor going to do about XX1? Are they going to be able to come out with an elliptical Q-ring that will hold the chain on without a guide like SRAM's?
    I'm also interested, so I sent them a mail and got following response :

Hi, we are working on a new design matching this groupset, but honestly, there is no release date so far.

The quesion whether or not a chainguide would be needed was not answered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    North Shore Billet is planning to produce aftermarket spiders for XX1 rings. This is good news for me - I have some XO cranks that I would like to run a XX1 ring on.

New North Shore Billet Single Chainrings for SRAM Cranks, Universal Spiders for XX1 - Bike Rumor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That's cool as an alternative, and it says they will be thicker to "help" with keeping the chain on, but still they don't have the special teeth that the Sram does. Possibly patented.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

AOK
    mtbr member

Sram's New XX1 Group

Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    That's cool as an alternative, and it says they will be thicker to "help" with keeping the chain on, but still they don't have the special teeth that the Sram does. Possibly patented.
    You are referring to the NSB chainrings.

I was referring to the blurb in the article that says NSB is also working on a XX1 *spider* so you can use XX1 chainrings on XO or X9 cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    You are referring to the NSB chainrings.

I was referring to the blurb in the article that says NSB is also working on a XX1 *spider* so you can use XX1 chainrings on XO or X9 cranks.
    Good to know
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member

Re: Sram's New XX1 Group

Mark, for later reading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same issue as I, but so far I hate this thing on my Tallboy. I went on a single ride after transferring the XX1 from my Highball to the Tallboy and I'm already planning on going back. While peddling up the first uphill climb in 2nd gear I noticed a popping sound coming from the rear wheel area. The sound was traced back to the rear derailleur pulley arm. It appears as though the "Type 2 clutch" is popping every time the suspension is compressed near half way, or less. I followed the chain install direction to the tee, fully compressed suspension plus a link. Hell, I even added 2 more links once I found the cause of the noise. The noise is most obvious in 1st through 4th.

I'm really hoping that others have had this same issues with some type of resolution. The noise/feeling really has me not wanting to ride the bike. It just feels like something is loose within the suspension and makes riding it very annoying.

AOK
    mtbr member

Sram's New XX1 Group

There are several threads on the type 2 clutch popping issue in the drivetrain forum. Not just an issue with XX1 from what I read. I have two T2 XO derailleurs with no issues so far. Hoping they don't start popping in the future.

Carbon & Ti rule
    What wheel & freehub are you running ?

Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same issue as I, but so far I hate this thing on my Tallboy. I went on a single ride after transferring the XX1 from my Highball to the Tallboy and I'm already planning on going back. While peddling up the first uphill climb in 2nd gear I noticed a popping sound coming from the rear wheel area. The sound was traced back to the rear derailleur pulley arm. It appears as though the "Type 2 clutch" is popping every time the suspension is compressed near half way, or less. I followed the chain install direction to the tee, fully compressed suspension plus a link. Hell, I even added 2 more links once I found the cause of the noise. The noise is most obvious in 1st through 4th.

I'm really hoping that others have had this same issues with some type of resolution. The noise/feeling really has me not wanting to ride the bike. It just feels like something is loose within the suspension and makes riding it very annoying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm running Enve XC carbons with the DT-swiss 240 XD driver.

mtbr member

Sram's New XX1 Group

All of the people I know running the type-2 derailleurs are having the same issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    All of the people I know running the type-2 derailleurs are having the same issue.
    I ran an X9 Type 2 derailleur for last half of last race season ... far and away the best rear der I've ever had on a bike, zero issues! Running mine on a f/s Jet9.
    Last edited by kfb66; 02-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep, definitely a common problem full suspension users are running in to. It's back on the hardtail and works great. It's a shame because my initial thought when purchasing the set up was to have the flexibility of using it on either bike. Oh well, at least not a total loss.

I'll wait and see what Shimano comes up with. At least I have the ability of adjusting the clutch on my XTR Shadow.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I know quite a few people running them on Jet9 RDO's & Rip9's for a while now with no problems.

Both bikes are known for not having much pedal feed back over bumps.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast