Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    The body for my Hope hub came in yesterday. And tomorrow my wheels will be build. And after that I guess it will takes ages for the weekend to come

I got to thinking after I read somewhere that you tighten the whole cassette on the cassette body, how do you get it off? It doesn't seem like there is any cassette body exposed to grab while loosening the cassette. I'm sure there is a way but I just can't picture it in my head.
    I've been looking at the different gear ratios compared to the classic 2x10 and I think it is genius and can't wait to try it out in the spring.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It comes loose the same way you tighten it on the hub! Just use the same tool as you now use for Shimano and SRAM.

BTW, it wasn't a direct fit to my Hope hub. I needed a new 142x12 driveside adapter. In the pic above you see a adapter which has 2 steps (rings) towards the freehub. The cassette will lock itself on the biggest step (ring). I have somebody at work get rid of the second step (ring) almost completely and it works now. The only part of the secong ring that can stay is the part that will be inside of the freehub.

I asked Hope and they will come with a seperate adapter for 142x12 XD freehub.
    Last edited by Betzel; 12-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Any word on when the Mavic freehub will be available?

mtbr member
    I did a long ride today which included over 3k of climbing. 32t front 42t rear was plenty for all the climbs, but i could see dropping the front to 28t for some summer rides that have 4-6k of climbing.

mtbr member
    I'd have the opposite problem. I'd need to buy a bigger chainring like a 36 or maybe even a 38. There's no mountains around here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I'd have the opposite problem. I'd need to buy a bigger chainring like a 36 or maybe even a 38. There's no mountains around here.
    I'm always curious about this. Could you elaborate? I'm good for 30 mph with 32x11 on a 29er. There's no way I can push that on the flats with trail tires at 25 psi. The only time I see it is on a sizable paved downhill.

I always assumed the people looking for higher gearing had the balls/skills to be hitting 30mph on a downhill trail and be interested in pedaling to go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I'm good for 30 mph with 32x11 on a 29er.
    Hmmm, what would your cadence have to be to do that speed? Anything over 100 and I'd shift to a harder gear. Things get weird for me spinning above 120 rpm.
    I think your calculation might be off. Maybe mine is off
    30 miles an hour is 48 k. No one is riding at 48 k for very long on their mtn.bike even on a flat paved road. 50 k is how fast the world's best time trial guys ride on their TT bikes on paved roads. I'd spin out of my 32/11 way before I got to 48k on my 26" HT. I never use my 32 on any paved roads including hills. I can ride in my big ring 44 and big cog 32 and climb everything around here if I feel ok. I never use my granny and only use my middle ring when I'm fried, on a trail I don't know or riding with Expert class guys.

According to this Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator I'd need a 38 ring with the 10-42 cassette to have the gears I use/need. A 32 chain ring wouldn't work for me where I live. We have hills but no mountains.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I'm always curious about this. Could you elaborate? I'm good for 30 mph with 32x11 on a 29er. There's no way I can push that on the flats with trail tires at 25 psi. The only time I see it is on a sizable paved downhill.

I always assumed the people looking for higher gearing had the balls/skills to be hitting 30mph on a downhill trail and be interested in pedaling to go faster.
    There are a few places on trails that I really like the 40+ MPH down his sections & I wish I could pedal faster, but the thing is they are over so quick & if having to choose I would rather have my bike geared for the rest of the trails.

I'm really liking the XX1, I have only bothered to get 28,30 & 32 chainrings at this stage & it works well for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hmmm, what would your cadence have to be to do that speed? Anything over 100 and I'd shift to a harder gear. Things get weird for me spinning above 120 rpm.
    That's as measured by my Garmin going down a long, steep hill on the road. I certainly can't push that on the flats, which is why I'm always curious about the people that ask for taller gearing. There are absolutely zero trails near me where I'd feel the need to pedal if I were going that speed.

As for the math:
    30 mph = 0.5 miles/min = 31680 inches/min
    29" * PI = 91.1 inches
    31680/91.1 = 347.75 rpm (wheel)
    347.75 * 11/32 = 119.5 rpm (crank)

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's too high rpm. We're both right. I wouldn't pedal that fast. I could but it would feel awkward. I'd shift to a bigger cog/chainring and have a slower cadence.
    There's no way I'd be able to use a 32/10 as my biggest gear, even my 39/11 on my cross bike wouldn't be high enough. I can use my 53 chainring on a few trails around here and I can almost climb my hills in my 39/27 on my cross bike.
    It all depends on where you live and your fitness. I guess it's pretty flat around here. The guys on double ring XX can climb everything in the 39 big ring, they never use the 26 unless they're hurting.

mtbr member
    anyone with grip shifters getting accidental shifts?

mtbr member
    Is the xx1 Hope freehub body as loud as the standard Hope Freehub?

I like my Hope hubs, but damn they are loud.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Yes it will be because it is only the cassette side that needed the full redesign & the freehub still has to fit into the same hub & work the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    what lubes are people using?

mtbr member
    1x11 that's ten gears more then I need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

As an FYI, I got from one of the UK Hope Techshops, the special thinner pawl springs (which are less heavily sprung) and once swopped out, makes the hub a good deal quieter. If anything it seems to be too quiet now as I now have to use my bell to warn hikers that are up ahead.

beater

Yeah, it's the pawl springs, not the body. Hope has softer, quieter springs now. I replaced my freehub body this summer and it came with the new springs, so I'd expect the XX1 bodies to have them too. They are noticeably quieter, although not what you'd call silent. Cheap, easy part to replace if it bothers you. Personally, I miss the noise. People hear me coming, which is nice on multi-use trails.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I'm sure you're aware of this, but they offer rings from 28-38. Jerome Clementz used a 38t on his 26" Cannondale to win some of the biggest Enduro races in the country.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I know. I've already done the math and commented elsewhere in this thread. I'm not complaining about XX1. I think it's a great idea. I'm seriously thinking about buying it for next year but I'll have to spend another 100 dollars for a bigger chain ring.

mtbr member
    I was just watching the Sram XX1 cross country video on their site, some good info..

They mentioned Kulhavy (29er) using a 36t at the olympic games, and then dropping down 2 teeth for the world championships.

Shurter (27.5) mentioned using a 38t.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Cool. I'm on a 26".

*creepy voice*

but I want Nino's 27.5 Scott.

Trail Ninja
    The SRAM guys at the 2x10 experience demo events advised people to stay in the big ring when riding trails. Didn't spend 2 hours on it to test endurance, but it wasn't hard to totally avoid the granny ring. Not surprised to hear people running XX1 with bigger rings.

Don't forget that a majority of rear suspension designs were designed to work best with a 32T ring. Browse this site if you want to read how a well-known guy analyzes different suspension designs: Linkage Design

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It comes loose the same way you tighten it on the hub! Just use the same tool as you now use for Shimano and SRAM.

BTW, it wasn't a direct fit to my Hope hub. I needed a new 142x12 driveside adapter. In the pic above you see a adapter which has 2 steps (rings) towards the freehub. The cassette will lock itself on the biggest step (ring). I have somebody at work get rid of the second step (ring) almost completely and it works now. The only part of the secong ring that can stay is the part that will be inside of the freehub.

I caught a video somewhere that shows how it goes on, the lock ring and inner sleeve are retained inside the cassette. The outside 42 ring lock on the body with the inner sleeve tightening everything on. Very cool stuff!
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

X9 9spd/ XX Brakes

dont know where to put this as i am new to this forum, but i have an X9 9spd shifter and an Avid XX read brake setup. will the matchmaker x work for this setup? if not, what specifically do i need?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

I'm in process of sourcing parts for old Pro 2 to XD driver, so you need to take drive side adapter from Pro 2 EVO to lathe and trim off the wider lip to make the cassette fit?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast