Tattooed Scumbag

SRAM XX 2X10 with XTR Crank... Talk to me

I love the way that my SRAM XX shifts, but hated the brakes so I shifted to XTR. HAppy with those my attention is starting to wander to XTR. Now on a new build I really like the way that the XTR Crank looks, but I am hooked on my XX shifters. My Goal is to run XTR Crank and probably XX everything else Ft/RR mechs/pods am I crazy, or should I just run the XX crank. Going on a SB95
    If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

Tattooed Scumbag
    Will this work? or will it not? anybody? all information is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I run an XTR M985 crank with XO shifters and RD. Works fine. Just got the new XO grip shifters and it works as good as the triggers did. No problems what so ever.

I Ride Bikes
    should be fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm more than certain that it will work...I've got a stumpy with Shimano crank and SRAM shifters someone on here told me that ANY front dérailleur will work with any shifter but the rear needs to be SHIM or SRAM with Same make shifters.

My build list is XTR 2 x 10 crank SRAM grip shift X9 rear Der

mtbr member
    Yes it will work bikes get sold with a mix of SRAM and Shimano all the time as said before just make sure your shifters match the rear deraileur

Tattooed Scumbag
    Thank you for the info... It has been a while since building a bike from the ground up and with technology changing everyday I wanted to be certain before spending a ton on a set of cranks that would not work. Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've also got SRAM shifters mated to a shimano FD....this combo works just fine too.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

XX with XTR

Quote Originally Posted by J_Sims View Post
    I love the way that my SRAM XX shifts, but hated the brakes so I shifted to XTR. HAppy with those my attention is starting to wander to XTR. Now on a new build I really like the way that the XTR Crank looks, but I am hooked on my XX shifters. My Goal is to run XTR Crank and probably XX everything else Ft/RR mechs/pods am I crazy, or should I just run the XX crank. Going on a SB95
    I also love the XTR Trail brakes, matched them with XT Ice rotors and are heads and tails above my last 3 sets of Elixir CR's. Running with 2x10 XO Crank and Gripshifters with everything else XX. I would say why spend the money on an XTR cranks when you have a very good XX now. Spend your cash on the KS Lev seat dropper and have a very sweet set up. Been running the KS on a Tall Boy for 3 months and can't imagine a better set up.

Tattooed Scumbag
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbBLISS View Post
    I also love the XTR Trail brakes, matched them with XT Ice rotors and are heads and tails above my last 3 sets of Elixir CR's. Running with 2x10 XO Crank and Gripshifters with everything else XX. I would say why spend the money on an XTR cranks when you have a very good XX now. Spend your cash on the KS Lev seat dropper and have a very sweet set up. Been running the KS on a Tall Boy for 3 months and can't imagine a better set up.
    already got a KS Lev sitting right here...

mtbr member
    Well if you like XTR cranks go for it... you can always sell your XX crankset and spend a few hundreds on the exchange

mtbr member
    Ok this confirms what i wanted to do (XTR Cranks, XX everything else), but what chain do you use? XTR or a SRAM????

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Kmc

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM View Post
    Kmc
    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

mtbr member
    I had the KMC one in my back pocket, but wanted to see what you would say. You guys have any pictures posted of your builds using the mixed components?

thanks for the quick replies too.