mtbr member
    Jan 2014

SRAM X9 Type 2 or Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus

So I ended up just getting the 2014 Trek Superfly 6 an I was thinking about changing out the rear derailleur. It comes with the SRAM X9 Type 2 and I was wanting to switch to the Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus. The reviews I have been reading regarding the SRAM 9 haven't been great. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? Is it a good idea?

mtbr member
    You will have to change out the shifters as well. I am actually replacing my Shimano Xt rear and the SLX shifters with SRAM x9 and x0 grip shifters.

I am only doing it because I hate the trigger shifters. I have always liked grip shift.

If you do want to do this, send me a pm. Mine are just sitting here, waiting to go for sale.

FKA Malibu412
    Johnnyo, have you actually ridden the bike to see how the X9 stuff works or are you worried it will explode on the first ride and so you want insurance?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You read my mind clyde. You must be an insurance salesman. Can you send me your rates?

mtbr member
    If you end up going xt shadow +, you can send me your x9 RD and shifter.

mtbr member
    I rode an X9 r/d for the last year and was not overly impressed, but not disappointed either. This was on a brand new Giant Trance 29 and my first X9 let go (malfunctioned) after about 1 month of riding. Something internal went south and the thing shifted crappy until I replaced it a month later. That said, the replacement X9 functioned well and shifted fine the remainder of the time I owned it until I sold the bike.

I always heard that the SRAM stuff shifted with a 'bang', in other words a very positive feel on the shift. My rear X9 sometimes felt delayed and sluggish in shifting but was very durable in it's service. I really liked the fact that I could actuate the R/D forward and lock it untensioned in order to perform chain and drive train duties. I never felt the need to change it out. FWIW, my front X7 derailleur(s) were HORRIBLE, finicky and over or under-shift constantly. I hate that bike companies include this der on so many bikes because it's usually the worst performing item on my bike. As a side note on X9, my lbs lead mechanic hated the SRAM clutch rear derailleur because he thought it imposed undo chain tension and wear because it couldn't be turned 'off' like the Shimano Shadow.

I briefly rode with a Deore R/D for a couple months recently on a different bike (Deore shifters) and it felt slightly better than anything SRAM I've owned. It seemed like the shifting effort was more positive with less effort. on supposedly a lower spec offering. Would I get rid of a bike spec'd with X9? No way. It's good stuff. If I had my choice though, I would skew XT over X9.

Edit: I just purchased a new f/s bike with an XT rear w/ Shadow Plus actuated by SLX shifters. I haven't read much positive on the SLX shifters but I'll probably do a review of it all in the review section after I get some miles on the bike. It all feels great now. of course.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 01-27-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.