mtbr member
    Nov 2014

SRAM X9 and chipmunks...

I have had an issue with the rear derailleur on my Specialized Stump Jumper ever since I bought it. The jockey wheels squeak. I have imagined me being followed trough the woods by bands of lovelorn chipmunks due to the squeaking noises.

I'm on my third set of wheels, and took it into the shop, and they said that the chain was worn (very clean, but worn), and that could contribute to the squeaking, but isn't the total reason.

So I'm trying to find out what is...

I can upgrade, but the X0 is like $200!

Is this symptom common with the X9? No one I know rides the X9 so I can't get any other feedback locally.

This noise, coupled with the near geese like honking of the brakes makes me hard to miss in the woods. I'm switching to organic pads which are supposed to stop that noise.

Everyone laughs at my chipmunk fears, but it's gotten way past old...

mtbr member
    Can you recreate the noise at home? If you can, it's simply a matter of isolating things till you find the noise, then lubing till it goes away (that's what a competent mechanic at the shop would have done..). It's certainly not common on X9, and buying a new derailleur is not the solution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have an X9 - doesn't squeak, just like any other rear derailleur that's properly lubed as Joules stated. Low end, high end - doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I had an X9 and it never really squeaked on me. The lower pulley would make some noise when my chain gets dry. Lubing the chain would fix that. That would occur on my X9 and X0 derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pop the jockey wheels off and have a look at them. If it's a fairly recent derailleur there are sealed bearings in the jockey wheels. They may be seized.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This is the third set of wheels. I'll replace the chain, the cassette, and wheels and see if the problem goes away. Either way, I've got close to $200 into it, but the noise is worse at times.

I use the same lube that I use on my road bike, the White Lightening Epic Ride. Should I be using their Wet Ride, even though it's not usually 'wet' where I ride? Although checking their website, maybe I should use that type on my road bike too?

Thanks for the replies. Fixing this would be nice...

All Fun Rider
    Are you actually greasing the joints of your rear derailleur, the middles of your jockey wheels where they mount up, and cleaning the buildup off of them with a flathead screwdriver? Lubricating your chain? This is basic maintenance that you shouldn't be relying on your shop to perform. Is it possible that your shop is replacing the jockey wheels with some third-party cheapo-bearing replacements?

You definitely don't need to spend money on a new chain or cassette...neither of those parts will squeak if they have any sort of lubricant on them. Double check your rear axle and consider your rear wheel hub as the possible noise source as well. And quit throwing money into it for no reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Am I greasing the joints in my derailleur? I never have before. Like ever, for road, or mountain...

I give my bike a bath when the mud gets bad enough. Usually after a few rides or a major flooding ride. I think that you can actually over clean your ride, and that can be worse than not cleaning it at all.

I clean the chain and re-lube about every other ride. I usually change the chain about every year, depending on wear. I have a Park chain wear indicator. That's how I knew this one was 'getting there', and apparently it 'got there'.

I do most of my own work. I've been had, decades ago, but had good, by a shop where I used to live. Most of the shops around here are top notch, but I'd rather do my own work than pay someone to do it. I do buy some parts local, because I value them being there, but...

The jockey wheels haven't been that expensive. Kinda... I kept thinking that new wheels would stop the noise, and it would attenuate a little, but never quite went away.

Well...

Until now! I replaced the cassette, chain, and jockey wheels, and *TA DAH* the squeaking is GONE! Hallelujah!!!

The squeaking is gone!!! (This time)

Chipmunks were watching for me, I'm sure. Broken hearted...

I will swap in the old wheels, just for kicks... It wasn't the hub, or brakes, because the sound stopped when the chain stopped. I kinda doubt that it was the chain. That would be really odd for that noise.

But, anyway, If anyone is still reading this thread, is the White Lightening Wet a good mountain bike chain lube? It sounds like the Epic and Clean, which I have probably aren't the best...

Is there anything better? More durable, less toxic and less flammable?

Thanks all...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^OP it sounds like you just wanted to spend $$.

mtbr member
    Name:  WMB87.work.pic22_prev-499-70.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.1 KB

Or just buy a new bike, either way is good......

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ^OP it sounds like you just wanted to spend $$.
    This bike is over two years old. Probably nearly three.

I replace my cassette on my road bike after ever two or three chain changes. I ride with people that change their cassette every time they change their chain. It's worth it, at some point, to replace parts that wear, and those DO need to be replaced, or do you ride a cast steel Huffy five speed that shifts like a dead cat.

It's ridiculous to snark at me. I had a problem that ticked me off. I appreciate the need to be 'naughty', but do it on your own time, Sport. Your snark isn't appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Name:  WMB87.work.pic22_prev-499-70.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.1 KB

Or just buy a new bike, either way is good......

And again, I really don't need the snark. I clean and lube my bikes like crazy. I take care of my bikes. I 'love' my bikes. I try to keep them working well which is why I posted the question here.

But, hey, thanks for your snark. I hope you enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyR View Post
    And again, I really don't need the snark. I clean and lube my bikes like crazy. I take care of my bikes. I 'love' my bikes. I try to keep them working well which is why I posted the question here.

But, hey, thanks for your snark. I hope you enjoyed it.

Oops, thought I was helping someone out. Troll on bro!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Glad you got it sorted. Would have been nice to locate the exact component though, just for reference if nothing else.