mtbr member
    Jan 2013

SRAM x7 Rear Derailleur went slack?

I was on the trail the other day going down a bumpy section and my chain flew and I had no control over the derailleur. After further inspection everything seems to be working fin except for the internal spring which is not doing it's job. I took it apart and looked at it and it seems to be in working order it just doesn't hold any tension the way it should. I am pretty new to bikes so maybe this is an easy fix or it's just broken but hopefully someone can help me out! Thanks!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371669569.415743.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  26.3 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is a coiled spring with a leg on either end that provides tension. Either one of the legs broke off or the spring slipped. If you download the SRAM spares manual, you can see pictures. Open it up and take a look but you are probably looking at a new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

SRAM x7 Rear Derailleur went slack?

I have looked at the internal spring and it seems to still fit into the slots on either end still, but it still doesn't have any tension. Do they sell parts for derailleurs?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Time for new rear derailleur. Next time - go SRAM X0, which has titanium parallelogram and B-knuckle coil springs. Mine are from 2004 and still perform as NEW...with zero chain slap.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

turtles make me hot
    I recently blasted my derailleur with a big stick and broke the hanger. After changing the hanger trailside (in the dark, it was a night ride), I had the same thing and had to walk out.
    Once I got home and pulled the derailleur off the bike, I realized that pin that stops it from unloading the spring was sheared off. I wound it around once and reinstalled the chain. Been working fine ever since.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianVarick View Post
    Do they sell parts for derailleurs?
    You downloaded the SRAM parts manual like I told you to?
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/2e..._spc_rev_b.pdf

As far as I know, the X7 line has no serviceability. Only X0 and higher, offers fully serviceable parts.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You're most likely looking at a new derailleur like everyone said.. either the pin sheared off of the spring's little tip bent enough to slide out. you can probably just hand wind it up like NYrr496 said but that ends up a pain in the ass in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    As far as I know, the X7 line has no serviceability. Only X0 and higher, offers fully serviceable parts.
    ya.. the individual parts for a XO cost more in most cases than a whole new X7/X9... I'll get 3 X7's for the price of one X0 and not worry about parts, and ordering.. and fixing... just slap a new derailleur on and go ride.

Don't get me wrong, the X0 is nice and all, but really doesn't improve shifting, doesn't do much of anything but reduce weight and there are other places where you can do more with less $$$ on the bike.

Get X0 shifters and X7 or X9 derailleur and you'll never notice the diff...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

^^I had my X0 RD since 2004. Since then - I could have easily gone thru SIX X7s, in that timeframe. Although I have since "retired" the X0 from trail duty(@3500 trail miles) - it still works flawlessly now, on my 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra commuter. My motto is; "when you get the very BEST....you only need to buy it ONCE:"

Last edited by Zachariah; 06-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    only reason I replace any of my X7's or X9's was do to being taken out by a stick or a crash.. sure I can replace the cage of an X0 for 80 bucks.. but a new X7 is only $50....

that puppy does look damn sweet for a 2004..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/