mtbr member
    May 2013

SRAM X5 adjustment

I'm new to the MTB thing and still trying to delearn my rodie component adjustments. My rear gears kept slipping on me today. The cable is slightly loose, but given the lousy instructions on the SRAM site, I wanted to get the proper procedure for tightening the cable and adjust ing the rear derailleur. I've had the bike for almost a month and no probs until today. I did have a minor wipeout and it seems like I was unaware of any slippage until after that. I'll have to double check for damage, but everything looked ok on post-rode quick look.

So how do I set my gears and adjust the shifter prior to tightening the cable?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The cable can be adjusted by using the barrel adjuster at the shifter or rear derailleur.
    You may have bent the derailleur hanger a little.
    It can be bent left or right and it can be twisted. If you are good you can see this and bend it back or take it in to your lbs. They have a gauge.
    I would recommend the $19 Novara/Jagwire lined housing and slick stainless cable kit from REI. Run it as a full length housing with bigger loops. Your shifting will be measurably improved. I drilled out the stops. Read and follow the site review recommendations.