Came with Alivo shifters and front derailer and Deore rear 9 speed

I'm looking to go either x.9 or xt

Currently have SRAM 990 cassette and 991 chain

Any input would help, planning on keeping it 3x9

29er
    Apr 2010
    Can't use sram shifter with shimano rear der

mtbr member
    ^both shifters and derailer are going to be upgraded so the current spec does not matter much

29er
    Apr 2010
    I have sram x9 and much prefer it to shimano, faster shifts

Rub it............
    As long as they are 29er specific, you can mix/match to your hearts content.....................

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just went from Alivio shifters and Alivio FD and Deore RD( same setup as yours) to all XT. The XT shifters made a huge difference. You will really have to shop around to find the XT 770 9 spd. shifters. They were by far the hardest to find. I picked them up for a hundred NIB shipped. These were the only ones I could find other than on Ebay.
    The ones on Ebay ship from China etc. and are said to be new out of the package.

The F&R derailleurs are pretty easy to find. Let me know if you need any help locating these parts.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Both Shimano and Sram are great. I've been doing a demo on a jekyll with XT/XTR and outside of the brakes I still prefer Sram X9/X0. XTR brakes are always a favorite though. Depends on what you want. Ride some bikes with both.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help, I rode a felt demo with full xtr. brakes were unreal but shifting while a big upgrade from mine seemed like it could be more crisp which is why I'm considering SRAM, my buddy just got x.9 type 2 rear derailer which is very nice and crisp

mtbr member
    Everything is crisp if it's set up right and even the most high components suck if set up poorly.
    I'd go with Shimano for long term durability. You can get 9 speed XTR shifters for 159 dollars from Jenson.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sram has a shorter movement at the shifters and feels lighter and crisper, but aside from that, you could upgrade your shifters to Deore, but I have absolutely no problems running the setup you currently have, and unless I had the parts on hand, (likely), I wouldn't bother.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupob6 View Post
    Thanks for all the help, I rode a felt demo with full xtr. brakes were unreal but shifting while a big upgrade from mine seemed like it could be more crisp which is why I'm considering SRAM, my buddy just got x.9 type 2 rear derailer which is very nice and crisp
    I understand. I got to take out a cannondale jekyll 1 carbon with XT and XTR and then in the afternoon I tried some new and old saints. Shimano simply does not seem to have that click of engagement that Sram makes customers loyal too. Personally, I love my X0 drivetrain, but I will be giving Shimano a shot next time.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

29er
    Apr 2010
    I rode the current xtr, while it worked and felt nice. My x9 felt quicker to shift

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just ride

dumped shimano years ago.. Seemed like i was always adjusting shimano..SRAM.. just get on a ride.. x9 twist shifters and derailures...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Love all sram drivetrain components. The shifting has a certain feel about it that gives you a secure confident feeling. I always have problems with shimano. Always feel like.somehing didn't engage correctly.
    My bike has all shimano components right now since its a new bike. I will be switching back to sram as I find deals here and there.

I do however prefer shimano hydro brakes over avid(sram.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Make sure you match your shifters to your wheel size.

SRAM works better on 29ers. Shimano works better on 26ers. Fat bikes are better with vintage Suntour thumbies.

mtbr member
    Found a great deal on SRAM 2011 x.9 trigger shifters and derailer combo, if I add a 2011 front derailer it totals $182 that seems great, what do you think?

29er
    Apr 2010
    The stock front der will work with sram shifters

mtbr member
    ^thanks but the alivio front derailleur is junk so I'm looking to upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use one. The only difference in fd's is weight. The shifters are the most important. I wouldn't use an alivio rd though.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    So a x.9 front derailleur would not be a big jump in performance? I'm not looking for marginal upgrades, but do not mind putting money into my bike if it yields a performance upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Get the shifters and rd. The alivio front der is compatible with sram because the front is the same pull ratio, unlike the rear,

Since you will have those nice shifters and I imagine good quality cables, the only problem the alivio has is its a tad heavier than a high end fd. The functionality comes from the shifters. I would.ride it till.it breaks or untill you're sick of seeing the low end name stamped down there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Love all sram drivetrain components. The shifting has a certain feel about it that gives you a secure confident feeling. I always have problems with shimano. Always feel like.somehing didn't engage correctly.
    My bike has all shimano components right now since its a new bike. I will be switching back to sram as I find deals here and there.

I do however prefer shimano hydro brakes over avid(sram.
    Yes, I have the same feeling.
    I had some XT shifters 1 yr ago (actually complete XT set, RD, FD, Cranks, 2011 set 3x9) , the plastic lever cracks, the display not working properly........I cant imagine such a mid / high end component work like this.......... but Shimano can shift both side for going hi gear (I mean you can use your index finger or thumb to shift), Sram cant. also, Shimano are easier to shift, I mean less power needed from your thumb to shift.

I always stay with SRAM for drivechain components, except cassette, because Shimano are lighter and cheaper.

The X7 RD I am using is scratched seriously due to crash, hitting rocks......it still works flawlessly. most of SRAM RD parts is machined and most of Shimano RD parts is casted. Sram RD and Shifter feels solid and accurate all time, even the cheaper X7 series is solid.

if you have some friends using SRAM stuff, try out his/her bike you can feel the difference.

I never tried XTR stuff, maybe they are better, but for the same price or slightly less, I will still choose X0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Make sure you match your shifters to your wheel size.

SRAM works better on 29ers. Shimano works better on 26ers. Fat bikes are better with vintage Suntour thumbies.
    oops.....how come?? I dont understand.....is it really matter??
    if a drivechain set shifts good and accurate on 29er, it will be good on 26 also......no?

mtbr member
    BUT, if you can find some of the old Campy mtn grouppo bits...it's the best (at least the most expensive)
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast