Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SRAM vs Shimano

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

SRAM vs Shimano

I'm looking at the differences between the Trek Rumblefish Elite vs the basic Rumblefish(drivetrain).

Elite comes with Shimanos SLX and I'll have the SRAM x7.

Anyone know differences performance wise? I'm not familiar with SRAM at all and would rather sell the SRAM set for Shimano anyday, not to mention I have the XT clipless and M162 shoes. Its going to be a brand new system so I know it'll be nice but I'm familiar with Shimano.

mtbr member
    Apples to apples

Warrior's Society
    Ford vs. Chevy

Coke vs. Pepsi
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Do you like 1:1 actuation or 2:1 actuation? Do you even notice a difference?
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Between those 2 bikes I'd be more interested in the difference in the fork (Rockshock vs Fox) and the Brakes (shimano vs elixir).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I dont know what you mean by actuation.
    This always happens; I start looking at upgrades before I even get the damn thing and then I end up spending the money for the better components anyway!

I'm ok with the Avids, finesse does more for me in that department but I like all my components to be consistant.

Thats why I was asking the diff. SLX or XT, x7 vs XT vs SLX

I'll trade the RockShox up, same as the SRAM, for a carbon fork before I trade - and Fox doesn't make a carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had a fully Shimano XT bike, and went to a fully SRAM X7/X9 bike. Other than the triggers being thumb only on the SRAM, I couldn't tell you an appreciable difference. My shifters and front derailleur are X7 and my rear derailleur is X9... I thought I'd be annoyed with the shifters and replace them fairly quickly, but I've had absolutely no reason to do so - they work great.

However, when it comes to brakes, I had a ton of problems with the new Elixir 5s, had to get them re-bled a couple times, and they just weren't working well (and I stuck one of the levers about 3 inches into my calf and ended up in the ER, so it got personal ), so I went to Shimano XT brakes about 3 weeks ago. I think they are just massively better - great levers, tons of power, good throw. The LBS reports that they have seen a ton of problems with the last year's Elixirs.

I also have ridden both of those forks, and I was not a huge fan of the RockShox fork... they just don't seem to be on the same level.

However... it's all pretty good stuff. I honestly wouldn't worry. If you want to spend money on components, the cheapest time to do it is when you buy a new bike. If you can afford the Elite, get it. If you can't, enjoy the other one - I've demo'd the Rumblefish, and it's a fun bike. $500 ain't peanuts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd pick the Shimano brakes over the Avids. If you ride a lot, you'll spend less time monkeying around with the Shimanos.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I'd pick the Shimano brakes over the Avids. If you ride a lot, you'll spend less time monkeying around with the Shimanos.
    +1
    Shimano SLX/XT/XTR brakes are the way to go right now.

mtbr member
    Avid brakes = noise, has to be the number one complaint.
    Rock Shox vs Fox fork, I have one of each and I really am enjoying the Fox on my Camber, but I felt the same way about my Reba on my Stumpjumper after the Tora on my Rockhopper. I have read complaints about Fox not being as customer oriented as Rock Shox when it comes to repairs but have not had to go down that road.
    Drive train, have Sram and Shimano and both are excellent.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice. Good advice

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Was running my bike with a xo setup(thought id try a new group-- tired of shimano).. Hated the sram brakes so changed them to shimano---which worked perfect with way more modulation and power and no noise-- marke one up for the big S... Didnt like the thumb shifters-- so changed them and the rear der to xt... Love the way you can either push or pull on the xt shifters to shift-- so ended up liking those better then the xo stuff--another one for the big S... So when all was done i realize--- shimano-- that is how im going to go from now on.. I tried to talk myself into liking other things and trying other things and always seeming to come back to the big S for stuff that works better-- smoother and easier imho.. GL whatever you pick..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    good post

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    Was running my bike with a xo setup(thought id try a new group-- tired of shimano).. Hated the sram brakes so changed them to shimano---which worked perfect with way more modulation and power and no noise-- marke one up for the big S... Didnt like the thumb shifters-- so changed them and the rear der to xt... Love the way you can either push or pull on the xt shifters to shift-- so ended up liking those better then the xo stuff--another one for the big S... So when all was done i realize--- shimano-- that is how im going to go from now on.. I tried to talk myself into liking other things and trying other things and always seeming to come back to the big S for stuff that works better-- smoother and easier imho.. GL whatever you pick..
    Same, my Stumpjumper had X9/X7 mix with Elixir 7 brakes, my new Tallboy is all XT. Yes it's personal preference, but I won't bother with Sram/Avid again, much happier with my XT.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I had Shimano for many years and was also nervous to try Sram. But after using Sram I am more comfortable because my two fingers never come off the brakes levers as Sram is all thumb controlled. It really is a Ford vs Chevy arguement...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Yes, it is Coke vs Pepsi.... with one exception

I know that it is mostly irrelevant for purchase - but service consideration. Shimano - absolute worst chains - last 1000 km at the best. SRAM little bit better, but more expensive. My solution, which took me a while to discover: KMC chains, the same price as SRAM, but last easily over 2k km, even more.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Do you like 1:1 actuation or 2:1 actuation? Do you even notice a difference?
    No real difference with 10-speed (the brands are still not interchangeable)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2012
    IMHO, and I run XT shifters and F&R D's and brakes....... The XT brakes are the best. Both my local LBS's say they have nothing but complaints about Avid brakes. I know how bad they are since I switched to XT myself.

Shimano needs more tweeking to keep it shifting smoothly. My friends have X7/X9 on their bikes and it shifts much more smoothly and seems to shift better overall to me. Sram is more of a set it and forget it shifter mechanism from what I've seen.

I'm planning on Sram shifters and Sram F&R D's with XT brakes on my next bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    SRAM Chains
    SRAM Drivetrain
    Shimano Brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    I

I'm planning on Sram shifters and Sram F&R D's with XT brakes on my next bike.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    KMC chain
    X0 drivetrain
    Hope brakes
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I ran Shimano all the way back to 1995. Did a few parking lot rides on SRAM bikes and didn't like it. However I recently got a bike that was what I wanted except it had SRAM on it - X7 RD with X5 shifters. It was awkward for all of 15 minutes. After 2 rides, the pathways in my brain were all set for thumb shifting, so no need to think about it anymore. I'm surprised to find that I don't ever want to go back to finger triggers. I like using my index fingers for braking only, and thumbs for shifting.

So now I've been brainwashed and have become one of "them", you know, a member of the SRAM cult. Beware blasphemers - you could be next!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why is there so little competition in the drive train market? Only Sram and shimano on mtb's. One would think that other companies would try to get a slice of the cake.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I'd get the cheaper one,

Replace the Brakes (probably with Magura as I like them better than Avids, and just as good for MUCH less than the Shimano's)

Replace the Fork with a Manitou Tower Pro.... (though not sure how that will work with Trek's G2 Geo...? )

I agree with everyone that the chain would quickly be replace either way with a KMC, though I'd just use the stock one, just expect a very short life span of it, or save it for a back up.

Sell off the take off's and get a better bike for less than the elite

I do prefer SRAM drivetrain over Shimmy's, as much for replacement pricing as well as actual function. Sram in general is cheaper to fix/replace when the dreaded rear derailleur trail snake attacks

Honestly, I don't see a $600 value increase of the Elite no matter what... I'd just get the regular one
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

ballbuster
    SRAM always felt heavy to me at the shift lever. Shimano takes a lot less effort to shift.

Also, SRAM chains seemed to always wear out fast on me. I get way more life out of XT and XTR chains, like they last me twice as long before hitting the wear limit... Cassettes too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast