mtbr member

SRAM shifting issues/questions

I have a 2013 stumpjumper EVO 29 with SRAM X9 rd with x7 shifters. Downshifting is crisp and flawless, but upshifting is always a little off, I have to push the shifter just a bit more than the click, or I get a half shift,(click click click) to get the chain up that last little bit on the cassett. I have played with adustments, taken the bike back to the lbs, but it just a bit off. 2nd up to 1st is pretty good, 3rd up to 2nd not so good, 4th up to 3rd not so good. I have shimano on onther bike that works perfect.

Was wondering if I change out to X9 shifter or X0 with the X9 rd would this fix it?

Warrior's Society
    Drop some lube in the cable housing.

Or

Check and make sure the derailluer hanger is straight.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Downshifting/Upshifting always gets confusing.
    Shifting is good shifting from large cogs to small?
    Not so good shifting from small to large?

Normally I'd say you need to tighten the adjustment up one click. If that makes shifting the other way bad then I'd say something is compressing when you shift, robbing some of that cable tension.
    I'd strip all of the housing and cable from the shifter to the derailleur and re-install (not replace, unless you want to), making sure that all the cable ends are square, inner housing clear, and ends installed and seated properly in the frame. Make sure the cable going into the derailleur is the correct length, I was surprised to see that SRAM has a specific length for that piece of housing. Make sure both the inner cable and housing is seated in the shifter correctly.

Does the rear derailleur jockey wheel to cog spacing look good?
    How's your chain length?

Put the bike in a stand and while spinning the pedals, pull the housing from one of the ends and feel if the cable tension feels smooth and doesn't require excessive force while the derailleur goes through the gears.

mtbr member
    Not so good shifting from small to large<-- yes

thank you i will try these ideas.

mtbr member
    In my experience (sram x9, shimano xt and below) a majority of the time I need to go just a touch past the "click" on pretty much every shift to a larger cog (full suspension, hard tail, cross bike) otherwise the shift is slightly delayed and or mid gear...

Formerly of Kent
    Sounds like you just need to add some tension by rotating the barrel adjusters counter clockwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been having trouble going from small to large on my bike with SRAM x4. I just realized yesterday that when shifting up I have to push it farther than what I was doing. I was used to Shimano shifters and I was pushing the same amount with the SRAM, but realized I have to go farther. This sounds like the same thing you're doing (or not doing).

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    I have X9 and it shifts perfectly, fire and forget. Sounds like you need to tweak tension with the barrel adjuster...

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had same trouble with my x9, I ended up having to mess with the main screw on the back of the derailer. The barrels adjustments just kept making it to slow to shift up/ then to slow to shift down. Fizzed it for me.

Let the good times roll.
    If you're sure all the adjustments are correct, try a chain that is one link longer. I was having problems with my X7 rear derailleur, and longer chain is eventually what worked after trying everything else my LBS and I could think of.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    My 2012 X7 10-speed with X5 shifters does not require pushing past the click to upshift...you click it you got the shift.

Just in case, I'll mention that if you route the RD cable on the wrong side of the hold-down bolt, it can slightly mess up the indexing for each shift. I made that faux pas, and when I had the upper gears shifting right, the lower ones would be slightly off and vise versa.